Can I Get my Belly Button Pierced After a Tummy Tuck?

I will be 6months post-op in February and was hoping to get my belly button pierced. Would that be ok?

Belly button piercing after a tummy tuck

+2

As long as your incision is well healed, you can get your belly button pierced six months after a tummy tuck.  If you are concerned at all regarding how your incision has healed, please consult with your plastic surgeon prior to the actual piercing.

Dr.Bruno

Belly Button Piercing After Tummy Tuck

+1
It should be okay to get your belly button pierced as long as you have no complications from your surgery and your incision has healed. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Wait Until Healed Before Getting Piercing Following Tummy Tuck

+1

Umbilical piercings have become very popular amongst younger patients.  It’s not unusual for abdominoplasty patients to request this procedure following tummy tuck surgery. 

This is a relatively simple procedure, but should be delayed until adequate healing has taken place.  In most cases this takes about six months to occur. 

It’s important to understand that wound healing varies from patient to patient.  For this reason it’s important to consult your surgeon before proceeding with this maneuver.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and belly button piercing

+1

Hi,

It would seem that you are plenty far from your procedure to have this done.  You will note that there is a yo-yo effect on the abdominal skin that was redraped with it being more full as the day goes by.  However, in the morning is the time you want to get the most accurate point of entry for the pierce because of the tissue being less swollen and representing a better image of what your piercing site will be after a year or so.

Steven M. Lynch, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck - Can I Get my Belly Button Pierced After a Tummy Tuck?

+1

Generally yes, although you should obviously clear this with your plastic surgeon.  At this stage (6 months) you are well-healed, and that certainly appears to be the case based on the photo you sent.  So - from that standpoint - go for it.  My only hesitation (and not that you asked...) is that if your BB stretches out a bit, or the piercing catches on something, or whatever...you may undo all the work you've done.  I have seen more than a few patients who look down at their newly renovated BB and decide never to do anything else to it...and a few who did and who regretted it.  But that's not for me to say - the bottom line is that you appear to have an outstanding result, you've healed well and you should feel free to go ahead and do what you want!

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Umbilical piercing after a tummy tuck

+1

At 6 months after a tummy tuck and you have healed without complications, then you are pretty much able to do anything.  A piercing should be fine.

Piercing following a tummy tuck

+1

You should be fine with a piercing.  Just make sure you are completely healed and visit someone you can trust who practices sterile techniques.  If any doubt, visit your doctor.  Some physicians will pierce repaired earlobes and may pierce your navel if requested.  Good luck!!

Jason R. Hess, MD

It would be absolutely fine to have your belly button pierced following your tummy tuck if the area has fully healed and scarrin

+1

Thank you for your enquiry, I think it would be absolutely fine to have your belly button pierced following your tummy tuck if the area has fully healed and scarring has settled.

Good luck with this if you do decide to proceed.

Adrian Richards, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Belly button piercing after tummy tuck

+1

Dear Danylle,

the scar around your belly button should sart to get softer after 6 months. you should be ok to have it pierced, but check with your surgeon though. If the scar is unusually thick, you may have to wait longer until it continues to settle down.

I have had patients getting tattoos too ( sunburst, etc.. ) post-op, but I usually advise them to wait a year after surgery or until the scars are softer.

good luck,

Florence Mussat MD

Florence Mussat, MD

+1

At 6 months you are fully healed from the tummy tuck and it would be fine to have a piercing done if you want one.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS