Multi-Vitamins and Tummy Tuck

I Am Undergoing a Full TT on 12/20 and I Take Womens One a Day Vitamin Daily. Because It Contains Vitamin E Should I Stop? My plastic surgeon said multi vitamins are ok to continue because they only contain small amounts of vitamin E. However I wasn't specific to the type of vitamins i take.

Vitamin E Before Tummy Tuck

+1
Vitamins should be taken to help encourage healing processes. Multi-vitamins containing iron, minerals and vitamin C/E are advised. It's important not to take "extra" vitamin E, however, so as long as your multi-vitamin doesn't have a lot of vitamin E, then it should be fine. If you are concerned, you should show your surgeon the supplements you take just to make sure they're okay.  

Multivitamins prior to Tummy tuck: When is it too much.

+1

I frequently advise my patients to take 1-2 multivitamins a day. We are generally concerned about excessive and isolated intake of the fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E & K). Most multivitamins contian less than 400 IU. Typically less thatn 400 IU is a reasonable approach.

Tummy Tuck and Vitamin E

+1

I recommend that my patients take a multi vitamin daily, but check the label, as long as it is not more than 400 IU of vitamin E, it is fine. More than that could cause a thinning of the blood. You want to avoid anything that could thin the blood two weeks prior and two weeks after your surgery.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Vitamins and surgery

+1

Vitamins vary greatly but will always state the amount of the vitamin in multiples of the recommended daily allowance. Although most vitamins are beneficial to healing a few interfere with the bleeding cascade. I evaluate the vitamins and medicines my patients take as well as the herbal supplements. If you are in good shape physically and nutritionally I would err on the side of stopping as vitamin e clearly is associated with bleeding. There is no short term advantage which outweighs the risks of bleeding in my opinion.

Good luck

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Multivitamins before surgery

+1

You don't need to necessarily discontinue a multivitamin before surgery unless it contains other herbal supplements which can interfere with wound healing or bleeding.  Avoid a separate vitamin E capsule, but the content of vit E in a regular multivitamin is relatively small. Your doctor should provide you with a list of medications and supplements to avoid before surgery, usually to be stoppped about ten days prior to your procedure. It's more important to stop aspirin, motrin, advil, excedrin, alleve and other anti-inflammatories which can cause bleeding and bruising.

Consult with your board certified plastic surgeon for more information.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Safest choice is discontinue vitamins before and after surgery

+1

Pro: vitamins contribute to better overall health and facilitate healing after surgery.

Con: Virtually no clinical evidence that vitamins make a difference in surgical outcomes, while vitamin E may contribute to the risk of bleeding problems. There is a wide range of supplements that have a greater risk of either interfering with anesthesia or bleeding issues, so don't forget to mention anything else you may be taking.

Richard Baxter, MD

Vitamins and Surgery

+1

I require my patients to stop ALL vitamins and supplements they normally take two weeks before surgery. One of the things I want you to specifically stop is Vitamin E. Because I believe a proper diet and vitamins, in general, are important, I then start all my patients on a specially formulated vitamin/supplement program designed to improve healing and reduce bruising.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Medication before surgery

+1

You should check with your doctor regarding his protocol.  In my practice I am ok with a simple multivitamin as long as the vitamin E content is not too high.

Multi-Vitamins and Tummy Tuck

+1

I ALWAYS require MY patients to STOP any vitamins unless I specifically OK them. With multi Vits I ALWAYS ADVISE to stop. Best of luck, from MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski, 305 598 0091

Vitamedica Surgical Support Program is Offerred at Chrysalis Cosmetics

+1

We us the Clinical Support program from Vitamedica.  We like this because it is specifically designed for pre and post surgery unlike a daily vitamin. Importantly, Clinical Support for Surgery has been specially formulated to eliminate any nutrients that may have an adverse effect on outcome. For example, the formulation does not contain Vitamin E because this fat-soluble vitamin can slow wound healing and can cause problems with bleeding.     Vitamedica Surgery Healing Program. Provides nutrients to speed patient recovery by reducing bruising, swelling and inflammation with Vitamin C and vitamin A for wound healing• Zinc for immune enhancement• Antioxidant protection for surgery• AM/PM dosing for optimal nutrition• Morning/evening formulationA Multi-Nutrient Formula 

Charles Perry, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon