Itchy & Burning Nose Two Weeks After Rhinoplasty, Do I Have an Infection?

Its been 2 weeks after I got rhinoplasty , everything was going good until yesterday I started with itching & a burning feeling inside my nose, is it normal ? Or do I have an infection ?

+1

This could be any number of things including normal healing, but only an exam will sort this out.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Burning After Rhinoplasty

+1

It's important to make sure that you are not getting any irritation from antibiotic ointment. Sometimes, allergic reactions can be developed. It's best to see your surgeon.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Itching after Rhinoplasty

+1

Thanks for the great question. Signs of infection would be redness, pain, increased drainage from the area, and fever. Some itching is a normal part of healing, and may be related to dryness on the inside of the nose or the nerve endings "waking up".  For the former, I have my patients use a little bit of saline nasal spray 3 or 4 times a day. The latter will resolve on its own after a couple more weeks.

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Itching and Burning Two Weeks after Rhinoplasty

+1

Itching is a normal sensation as wounds heal.  I would expect this to improve.  The burning sensation may be some nerve regeneration but it would seem early for this to occur.  Please follow up with your surgeon to make sure that there is nothing else going on.

Michael Sundine, MD