When to Stop Drinking Alcohol Prior to Surgery?

How many weeks or days do I have to stop drinking before my rhynoplasty?

One to two weeks of alcohol avoidance around the time of surgery is prudent and reasonable.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Alcohol and Rhinoplasty

After performing over 3500 Rhinoplasties I have found that stopping alcohol 5-7 days before and 7 days after is the safest for the day of surgery to minimize blood loss and speed up recovery afterwards.

Eric T. Adler, MD
San Juan Facial Plastic Surgeon

hi, thank you for the question.
in general 7 days before and 10 after should be enough
but please talk to your surgeon because you need to follow his routine.

Enriquillo Clime Rivera, MD

We usually recommend our patients to stop alcohol consumption 5-7 days prior to the surgery. This will ease with overall recovery and helps subside possible bleeding.

Alcohol before rhinoplasty

I think as long as your talking about 1 or 2 drinks then 48 hours before should be fine.  If you are drinking heavily then I would avoid this for at least a week. Alcohol consumption in the post operative period should be avoided especially in the first few weeks.  Even after this period patients notice swelling after drinking but this will be temporary.

Richard Rival, MD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alcohol consumption before and after rhinoplasty

Generally, it advised to abstain from alcohol 7 days before and after surgery. This will reduce the chance of complications and accelerate the recovery process. It is best to follow the individual guidelines given by your surgeon.

Scott Chapin, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

As a general rule I recommend that all of my rhinoplasty patient's discontinue alcohol consumption for 1 week prior in 1 week after there rhinoplasty procedure.  With that being said, most surgeons will have fairly strict guidelines for their patients, and each individual surgeons guidelines may vary significantly. the most appropriate course of action, at this point, would be to ask your surgeon.  Good luck and thanks again for sharing!

Brian Harmych, MD
Cleveland Facial Plastic Surgeon

When to stop drinking alcohol prior to surgery?

Thank you for your question. Dr. Lapuerta recommends his patients to stop drinking two weeks prior to their surgery. I hope this information is helpful.

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Alcohol Drinking before Rhinoplasty

As long as you are just having a drink or 2 before the day of surgery, that is fine.  Larger quantities of alcohol can adversely affect bleeding during and after surgery.

Jonathan Pontell, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alcohol Use Before and After a Rhinoplasty

Every surgeon will have their own set of surgery guidelines for rhinoplasty patients to follow, based on that they feel will be most beneficial. I personally recommend that my patients discontinue drinking alcohol and smoking 2 weeks before surgery. This helps to ensure that your rhinoplasty surgery will be safe, and that you will get the most optimal outcome possible. One of the most important things that you can do is to be honest with your surgeon during your consultation and pre-op appointment regarding your drinking and smoking habits to ensure that your surgery goes smoothly. It's also recommended to abstain from alcohol and smoking for 2 weeks after surgery. Your body will be using it's energy towards healing, and it's best not to expose yourself to anything that could hinder your surgical outcome. 

Babak Azizzadeh, MD