When to Stop Drinking Alcohol Prior to Surgery?

How many weeks or days do I have to stop drinking before my rhynoplasty?

This entirely depends upon how much alcohol a person typically consumes. If normal intake involves a glass of wine or beer with dinner, the a few days prior to surgery. The true concern is people who over imbibe and interfere with their liver function which can create issues with blood clotting following surgery. Conservative consumption of alcohol (one serving per day) a few days before and after surgery is not typically an issue. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Weber Facial Plastic Surgery

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

One to two weeks of alcohol avoidance around the time of surgery is prudent and reasonable.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

When is best to stop alcohol consumption before surgery

The question of alcohol consumption prior to surgery is a common one, and the answer depends on how much a person routinely drinks. For light alcohol consumption (e.g., up to 1 glass of wine a night), patients can continue their usual routine up to the night before surgery, and resume a few days after surgery.
That said, the issue of alcohol and surgery merits a closer look. The goal of rhinoplasty (or any elective, cosmetic procedure for that matter) is a great result in the safest manner possible. The topic of peri-operative alcohol consumption relates the the "safest manner possible" because moderate to high levels of alcohol consumption can impact the overall safety of an operation in a couple of ways.

First, several common anesthetic agents effect the body in a manner similar to alcohol. Patients with regular alcohol use may require larger doses of anesthesia to be effective or the anesthesiologist may select a different anesthetic.

Second, most of the common pain medications (e.g., Lortab, Vicodin, Hycet, Percocet, Lorcet, etc.) contain Tylenol, and Tylenol is broken down by the same internal organ that breaks down alcohol-- the liver. As a result, the combination of alcohol and Tylenol can potentially cause liver damage.

What is the bottom line? Clearly and acurately communicate to your surgeon and your anesthesiologist your usual alcohol consumption so that they can best educate you on the safest manner to proceed. The safest solution is to stop a few days prior and wait to resume until you no longer require frequent pain medication.

Cheers.

Jeffrey Cone, MD

When to Stop Drinking Alcohol Before Surgery

A glass of wine or a single beer the night before surgery is OK. If one is drinking more than that on a regular basis, tapering down to one drink in the two weeks before surgery is advised.
Be frank with your surgeon about your alcohol consumption so he/she can advise you best to avoid drug interactions or difficulties with anesthetics.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Alcohol in small amounts isn't a big deal before surgery

Alcohol in small amounts isn't a big deal before surgery. I don't mind if a patient as a glass of wine or beer the night before surgery, though it's not ideal if your surgery is later in the day. Alcohol can make you more hungry and lower your blood sugar.

If you drink heavily then it can be a different issue. You can go through withdrawal if you stop, so it is advised to stop well ahead of surgery so this doesn't occur in the peri-operative period. Some patients require benzodiazepines to control withdrawal around surgery. Let your surgeon know if you are a heavy alcohol consumer.  It is wise to stop well ahead of time to manage withdrawal and also to decrease risks of bleeding, which is common in heavy drinkers.

Alcohol intake around rhinoplasty

Imbibing a glass of wine or a pint of beer is fine right up to the night before surgery.  Over indulgence should be avoided in the week before and probably for 6 weeks after surgery (all the time really).  I recommend 6 weeks because you may lose coordination, fall and hit your nose, etc.  The drinking itself is probably not going to cause any problems after about 2 weeks.  Definitely don't drink while you are on post-operative medications as there can be interactions.  If you are a heavy drinker, make sure to discuss this with your surgeon ahead of time as there are medical issues that may need to be taken into account.  All the best!

Sirius K. Yoo, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

At least 1 week...

When patients undergo rhinoplasty surgery, safety should be everyone’s first priority. For this reason, we recommend that patients not drink alcohol for at least one week following rhinoplasty surgery. Alcohol can cause dehydration which can significantly increase the potential for complications following rhinoplasty.

When patients resume alcohol consumption, it’s important that they drink in moderation.In addition, alcohol should never be mixed with narcotics or sleeping pills.

When to stop drinking alcohol before rhinoplasty

I advise patients to abstain from alcohol for two weeks before and after surgery in order to minimize risk of bleeding complications. 

Lara Devgan, MD, MPH

When to stop drinking alcohol prior to surgery?

The general rule for alcohol consumption before surgery is to stop two weeks prior to your procedure. However, this does depend on the amount of alcohol a patient consumes on a regular basis.

The reason patients are asked to stop drinking two weeks prior to their procedure is because alcohol can sometimes cause excessive bleeding during the surgery.

I hope this information helps!

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

When to stop Alcohol consumption before surgery

It is recommended to discontinue the consumption of alcohol 1 week prior and 1 week after your surgery.