When to Stop Drinking Alcohol Prior to Surgery?

How many weeks or days do I have to stop drinking before my rhynoplasty?

Preoperative drinking

+1

In general I recommend nothing more than a glass of wine at a time before surgery, and avoid significant alcohol consumption for a week before and  a week after surgery.  You should definitely not drink alcohol when you are taking antibiotics or pain medications.

Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Alcohol intake before and after a rhinoplasty

+1

It is certainly acceptable to have a glass or wine or beer the night before surgery.  It is very important not to mix alcohol and pain medications after the rhinoplasty surgery. Probably best not drink  alcohol for one week after the surgery.

Alcohol consumption prior to surgery

+1

It is usually best to stop drinking alcohol one week prior to surgery.  Drinking in moderation would be unlikely to cause any long term adverse result.  

When Do I Stop Drinking Prior to Surgery? #nosejob

+1

There is no hard set answer here. I like my patients to refrain from alcohol for about 7-10 days prior to surgery and not drink after for a few weeks either. Alcohol, especially red wine can thin the blood and increase bleeding risk.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Alcohol prior to surgery

+1

I think it is best to avoid alcohol use for a week or so before surgery.  This also should not be mixed with medications.

+1

This entirely depends upon how much alcohol a person typically consumes. If normal intake involves a glass of wine or beer with dinner, the a few days prior to surgery. The true concern is people who over imbibe and interfere with their liver function which can create issues with blood clotting following surgery. Conservative consumption of alcohol (one serving per day) a few days before and after surgery is not typically an issue. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Weber Facial Plastic Surgery

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Drinking alcohol and Rhinoplasty Encinitas

+1

Many patients enjoy wine with dinner, especially the evening before life changing aesthetic rhinoplasty, and I encourage this.  After rhinoplasty, the narcotic analgesics and valium or xanax are usually wonderful substitutes for wine, beer, and/or cocktails.  The desire to enjoy alcoholic beverages is usually delayed until at least one week after surgery when internal and external splints are removed, swelling is resolved, and patients see their beautiful result.  Usually at that time, a small celebration is in order, including a toast to life well lived.

Steve Laverson, MD

+1

One to two weeks of alcohol avoidance around the time of surgery is prudent and reasonable.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

+1

It depends on how much you drink!!

If you are having a glass of wine with dinner, then there is no big risk and you could stop a day or so before your surgery.

If you are a heavier drinker, say 4-5 standard drinks a day, then perhaps stop 10 days before, as it can have an effect on bleeding. 

Good luck with your surgery

Richard

Richard Bloom, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

When to stop alcohol prior to surgery?

+1
I usually tell my patients, a week or so prior to surgery is best to stop drinking alcohol since alcohol interfers with coagulation of blood and can increase the chance of bleeding.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon