Is 260cc Too Small for Breast Augmentation?

I am expecting to have Breast augmentation in September. I'm 5'2", 94 lbs. My doctor suggests 260cc! Isn't that too small? I wanted 300cc up to 350cc. I don't know what to do, but isn't 260cc too small?

Choosing breast implants

+2

The proper choice of breast implants has been discussed many times here. Basically, don't get hung up on cup sizes or volume numbers and go to an experienced surgeon who listens to you and measures you for the right dimension of implant. Then try some on and see what "look" you like and go ahead with surgery.

Try on the breast implants to see what you might expect

+2

The best way for you to know what to expect from augmentation surgery is to try on implants after your

plastic surgeon

has examined you and taken measurements. These measurements, your frame and tissue characteristics should lead you and your plastic surgeon to the choice that is best for you.

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Breast implant size

+2

There are many different ways of determining breast implant size. My approach to breast implant size is to "go for the look". I have patients try on various size implants(which we have on hand) in a properly sized bra(which we have on hand) and a clingy top(which we also have on hand). They determine the look they like and we decide the size and style based on that. At the same time we discuss the positives and negatives of that size. This has worked the best for my patients.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Look at dimensions, not volume

+2

Implants should ideally fit the dimensions of your natural breasts. Look at the height and width and match it with the implant. Vary the projection to give you the look you want. The volume is the by-product of this analysis. Don't choose implants merely by volume. Of course, safety is a concern. The larger you go, the more long-term problems you might encounter.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Breast Implant Size

+2

Akechi,

Good question. The volume of the breast implant is really not a useful piece of information without having the luxury of knowing specific parameters of your chest measurements and soft-tissue status.

While your stature is on the smaller side, your chest may accommodate a larger implant if you had children in the past and suffer from involutional atrophy. Conversely, in a nulliparous woman with a tight skin envelope and narrow chest, a 260 cc implant may well be in the upper limits of implant size for a primary augmentation.

Personally, if your surgeon is experienced and reputable, I would follow his/her advice and hedge towards the smaller implant size as you can always opt to exchange the implants for a larger size in the future. Best of luck!

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Implant Selection Process

+1

Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.

The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.

I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Not at all

+1

The size depoends on your body frame and the size that you whish to be.  The rice test is helpful.  You can look this up on line and try this test.  If it seems small to you then it will be small.  Talk with your doc.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

260 cc implant size

+1

A 260cc implant is a relatively small implant size. However, whether it is a good size for you or not depends on several factors.  I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. Even your fitness levels and other relevant criteria are taken into consideration. It is you who will decide what you are comfortable with.However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for.
This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.
Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Can any implant be "too small"

+1

A 260 cc implant in one person can be something entirely different to another person.  The width of your chest, the amount of cleavage, the tightness of your skin envelope can all be significant factors determining how much larger your breasts will appear after a specific implant has been chosen.

Tito Vasquez, MD, FACS
Southport Plastic Surgeon

Small size breast implants

+1

I believe that the size of implant that is able to be used in a patient is controlled to a larger degree by their own anatomy, in terms of native breast tissue, stretchablility of the skin, and size of  the ribcage just to name a few. Going larger than the body can accommodate can lead to malposition of the implant relative to the nipple and also make the implant potentially more visible or palpable.

Julio Garcia, MD