Back to Work One Week Post TT?

Since my husband and I work together and carpool, and I have a desk job, is it possible I could have a tummy tuck and take just one week off of work?

Take two weeks off for a tummy tuck!

+3

I routinely perform abdominoplasties (tummy tucks) with liposuction and I think it is important to plan to have two weeks off.  I have had patients that went back to work at one week and I think they did fine, but really most of them wished they had taken a second week off.  Even at a desk job, prolonged sitting can be quite uncomfortable after a tummy tuck and it is something to expect.  If you attempt to go back at one week, you will not have your "usual" stamina and may have to shorten your days or leave early.  Everyone has different "pain thresholds" and there is some variation, but I really cant remember anyone that wasnt glad they had that second week off.  I hope this helps!

Sincerely,

James F. Boynton, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Tummy Tuck Recovery

+2
Not all Tummy Tucks are alike and not all women heal at the same rate or return to the same level of activity. While some women can return to desk jobs in as early as 7 days, it is best to allow yourself a more realistic period of 10 - 14 days off. You can always return to work sooner if you are feeling up to it. Dr. Peter Aldea

Recovery Time after Tummy Tuck Varies

+2

The time required to remain off work following a TT varies, both with patients as well as job requirements.  It certainly is possible that you could return to a desk job one week post-op if you husband drives you.  I would plan on 10-14 days, however, and return a bit early if your surgeon concurs.  Some patients whose jobs entail lifting and straining may need 4-6 weeks before returning to work.

When to go back to work after a tummy tuck

+1

Patients who have this procedure should anticipate a significant recovery process. In our practice, we tell patients that their recovery time will depend on the procedures that we perform as part of the surgery, their own physical health, and the rate at which the body heals. Many of our patients are able to return to work 10 to 14 days after surgery. We ask all patients to take at least two weeks off after the surgery for a recovery. If they heal rapidly and feel like they are ready to return to work with a low activity level, such as a desk job with no lifting, they may return to work earlier than the four weeks. We always advise patients to take off more time than they think is necessary as it is usually easier to return to work sooner rather than later.

Return to work after a tummy tuck

+1

A one week return to work after a TT is a bit ambitious as you will find out after the surgery is done.  You will slow the overall recovery down by not giving the early recovery the necessary time.  I'd wait 10-14 days if I were you.

Return to work after tummy tuck

+1

Each patient is different and can tolerate a different level of discomfort (which in the case of an abdominoplasty, also depends on how much the abdominal tissue was tightened). For most people with desk jobs, a return to work after 1 week is reasonable. You have someone to drive you to work so that should make it easier. As you recover and return to work activities, make sure you are not taking any narcotic medications that could affect your driving or decision making ability.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

TT recovery

+1

The recovery from an abdominoplasty varies on many things, including whether their is need for rectus muscle plication.  This part of the procedure can cause more discomfort and lengthen recovery time.  If this is not required, it is not unreasonable for a patient to return to a desk job after one week but I always recommend 10-14 days.  Every patient heals differently and interprets pain in their own way, so recovery and functional capacity vary among each individaul. Best of luck.

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Returning to Work After Tummy Tuck

+1

You should be OK to return to a desk job 7-10 days after your tummy tuck surgery.  You may still have a drain in place and you may get tired at work easily.  Remember, you are still healing from your procedure.  But talk to your surgeon to get his/her thoughts. 

Web reference: http://www.basuplasticsurgery.com

Return to work 1 week after tummy tuck

+1

The operative word you use is: "is it possible?" but the real question is: "is it likely that you will be back to work at one week following abdominoplasty?". That is a more difficult question to answer and I generally advise my patients to plan 2 weeks off. Your recovery will depend on several factors including the extent of the surgery (mini versus full), muscle repair and pain tolerance.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/

Back to work one week after Tummy Tuck reasonable for desk job if no complications of surgery

+1

Recovery time for tummy tuck varies with the procedure. If you have a desk job with no lifting and if you have had a minor tummy tuck or mini tummy tuck you may well be able to return to work after a week. This assumes no complications and that your wound is healing well with no drains in place.

If you have a major or full tummy tuck with muscle repair of a Diastasis Recti you may well need 10 days to two weeks for recovery.

Of course this will depend on your surgeons recommendations for your unique situation

Web reference: http://drseckel.com/surgical-procedures/result-oriented-tummy-tuck-abdominoplasty/