Tummy Tuck to Reduce Waist 5-10 Inches - Is This Possible?

Hi I would like to know if you can reduce your stomach/waste by 5-10 inches with lipo and tummy tuck? I'm about 5'2, 159 lbs, mearements 35c-32-40, most of my weight in the stomach area is under the navel but I'm sure the stomach itself 5 lbs can be taken (if not more) with the loose skin from having kids. I would like for my measerments to be somewhere along the lines of 38C (implants with a lift)-22-32. Will this be at all possible and if so, can it be done in one session.

Tummy tuck is about shaping visually, not in measured inches

+4

Mommy makeover is the term for tummy tuck with liposuction about the hips which can significantly rejuvenate the abdomen after changes from pregnancy.  I am a board certified plastic surgeon and I have never known any board certified plastic surgeon to "quote" exact inch changes involved in a procedure.  There are way too many variables to predict this.  If someone led you to believe that 10 inches could be changed in a procedure, I think you need to see another doctor because this is not a realistic or even safe goal to be aiming for.  Pulling the abdomen too tight and trying to aggressively liposuction the waist will significantly increase your risk for skin necrosis (loss of abdominal skin) which can lead to more revision and even reconstructive surgery.  Sometimes the abdomen and torso needs to be handled in two stages whereby the abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) and liposuction of the hips can be done in one surgery, followed by addition liposuction targeting the upper abdomen in a second smaller procedure several months later.  We have found this approach to be very safe and effective with our patients.  Finally, almost certainly some of the fullness can also be caused by "intra-abdominal fat" which is the fat that is inside of the abdomen with the intestines.  This fullness is only "decreased" with weight loss and cannot be surgically altered with tummy tuck and liposuction alone.  I hope this helps and I would encourage you to not concentrate so much on exact measurements so as not to be disappointed.

Sincerely,

James F. Boynton, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Can a tummy tuck reduce the waist 5 inches?

+2

A tummy tuck is a safe and effective procedure to contour the abdomen, create a tight waist, and remove extra skin, fat, and stretch marks.

Patients who undergo this procedure should understand that every result is unique. During the initial consultation, we spent a great deal of time talking to the patient's to help understand their concerns, learn their aesthetic goals and perform a thorough evaluation so that together, we can create a surgical plan that will help them meet their goals.
Among our patients, we have had women who have lost more than 5 inches off their wasit. Please understand that your results may vary significantly and it is essential to have an honest discussion with your plastic surgeon and establish realistic expectations.
Our patients find that rather focusing on a specific number, it is more helpful to work towards creating a beautiful overall shape.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Smaller waist following tummy tuck surgery

+1

The permanent sutures that are used to flatten and tighten the abdominal wall are typically placed in the midline. The rectus abdominis muscles, prior to pregnancy, are lined up immediately side-by-side. Expansion of the abdominal wall during pregnancy allows the muscles to stretch apart, leaving a weak layer of fascia (connective tissue) spanning the gap between the two muscles – the medical term for which is diastasis. The midline tightening sutures correct the diastasis and bring the rectus muscles back into a 'side-by-side' configuration, flattening the abdominal wall in the process.

Although this midline tightening dramatically enhances the abdominal profile, it often does adequately address the fact that pregnancy can also wreak havoc on the waist, turning what was formerly an 'hourglass' figure into something that is more cylindrical in shape. For several years now I have been using permanent 'internal corset' sutures, placed laterally in the abdominal wall, that draw the waist inward and restore some of the hourglass effect of abdominal concavity at the waistline in frontal view. The addition of these sutures to midline tightening, and in some cases in place of midline tightening, has allowed me to achieve even more impressive postoperative results.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Changing body measurements after plastic surgery

+1

Without seeing pictures, it is hard to predict the type of result you can expect. Keep in mind that your chest, waist and hip measurements are partially determined by your rib cage and pelvic bone structure (which realistically can't be changed). So you may want to see a Board Certified plastic surgeon in person and have a good discussion on the realistic expectations after any type of procedure. At 5'2" and 159 lbs, a weight loss program may be a better way to start improving your appearance and it may improve your plastic surgery results.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck to lose 5-10 inches around waist

+1

Despite dramatic differences in the appearance of an abdomen, little if any change can occur in the measurements becuase these may be more reflective of the bony dimensions rather than the skin and fatty dimensons. IF this is to be achieved it may require a circumferential belt lipectomy and more than one surgery. To ensure an optimal result you should be closer to your ideal body weight of 115 lbs.

Tummy Tuck will not reduce waist size by 5 to 10 inches

+1

The circumference of your waist is primarily determined by the structure of your rib cage and hips and the muscles attaching both.

Certainly reducing the amount of fat and loose skin of the abdomen by doing a Tummy Tuck and Liposuction will help reduce the waist, 5-10 inches is too much to expect unless of course you have more than 5-10 inches of fat on the front of your abdomen.

Be aware that initially after a Tummy Tuck your waist size may increase because the abdomen is pulled forward and waist size may increase. This resolves with time.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck and waist

+1

While a tummy tuck may reduce your overall girth and possibly waist size, I would focus on losing more weight at this point first.  Having the surgery will improve the contour but may not drop the waist too much. Remember, the underlying bony and msucular soft tissue contribute as well.

Tummy tucks can reduce your waist size

+1
Your question is difficult to answer without a picture. In general 5- 10 inches is not achievable - unless you have a massive diastasis rectus. Mommy makeovers are great and we do them frequently. As long as you are healthy it should be no problem to combine a tummy tuck and a breast augmentation.

Michael Weinberg, MD

Abdominoplasty and Lipo are not for weight loss.

+1

According to the info you gave your BMI is 29.1. BMI of 30 would be considered obese. Surgery is to improve contour and  get rid of skin that has been strtched beyond it's limit to recontour not to lose weight. Complications of abdominoplasty increase with increasing BMI as well. Lose weight first and see what the options are then.

Thomas R. Walek, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

Can't guestimate inches off from a tummy tuck

+1

It is only possible to remove the extra sin and fat in the lower abdomen, tighten the muscles and occasionally do some liposuction as in the flanks in the performance of a tummy tuck.  After that, your body and it's musculoskeletal frame take over and define how much weight and how many inches you can lose.  

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS