Silicone Scar Pads Skin Reaction

I am 4 wks post opp full tummy tuck. I'm using the Silicone Scar Pads. When I remove them, my scar is a bright reddish purple. Is this normal?

Tummy Tuck Scars

+1

Yes this is normal it can take up to a year for Tummy Tuck scars to fade.  They will continue to fade more and more with time. 

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Using silicone scar pads after a tummy

+1

After a patient has a tummy tuck we recommend different treatments for the optimal appearance of their scar. We often recommend post operative taping over the scar, the use of scar creams or gels, and the application of silicone strips. We also recommend that the patient use a strong sunblock at all times as this scar tissue is delicate and sensitive to sunlight. In our experience, the best silicone strips are not found in the pharmacy but on the Internet. If you're interested, please contact our office and we can send you a list of links of different companies where you can buy these products online. Keep in mind that his car can take up to 10 to 12 months to finally heal and that you are still in the very early stages of the healing process.

As for the red/purple color, make sure that your skin is dry when you apply the scars to avoid maceration or breakdown of the skin underneath these silicone strips.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Scar is red and purple from silicone sheeting pads

+1

if your scar is red and purple from silicone sheeting pads, it could be due to an early yeast infection. Topical antimycotic agents may be beneficial in this regard. Allowing the skin to dry for 12 hours a day may be useful in allowing the scar to fae as well.

Reddish purple scar after tummy tuck

+1

This is common for the first 2 to 3 months after surgery. Continue using the silicone scar pads. Time makes this better.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Purple scar after tummy tuck

+1

At 4 weeks, it is quite common to see reddish and purple discoloration to the scarline.   I would not worry about this.  This typically fades with time.  I become more concerned when the scar is raised or widened.  If the color is the only concern, this will generally fade over 6 months.   Any residual red or purple color in the scarline can then be touched up with a laser treatment.   All the best in a safe recovery.

Paul S. Gill, M.D.

GIll Plastic Surgery

Houston Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Paul S. Gill, MD

Silicone Scar Pads

+1
It sounds like your scarring is going through the normal healing process. It is normal that the scars change colors. I would make sure though that it is not irritated. If irritation occurs you should contact your doctor immediately.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Scars red after silicone strips

+1

It is very normal early after your surgery to have a reddish hue to your scars and it generally takes up to a year for these to mature and soften.  Silicone pads can be extremely helpful although many of my patients have had issues with them falling off or simply not adhering. 

Because of this, I tend to use a topical compound from SkinMedica which works beautifully to lighten and soften scars and I feel that my personal results with this are better than what I was achieveing previously with either silicone or simple taping.

I hope that helps!

Gregory A. Buford, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Scar pads help immature scars fade and flatten.

+1

Since immature scars are normally reddish-pink to purple in coloration (depending on the individual), scar pads will not eliminate this color, but will help your body soften and normalize the scar color more rapidly. Of course, the scar pads and your skin should be kept clean to prevent irritation and inflammation that can adversely affect your healing. What you are describing seems just fine!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Silicone gel strips

+1

I have had great luck using these strips with my postop patients.  A number of patients have reported the same thing and usually, it is normal and no big deal.  Be sure to keep close tabs on this and keep your surgeon posted.  You don't want to miss anything like an infection, an extruding suture or even hypersensitivity to the gel strips.  Your scar will continue to mature and improve in appearance over the course of the next year.  Good luck, Dr. Parungao

Allan J. Parungao, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon

Scars at 4 weeks

+1

Scars a re usually its angriest and reddest by about 6 weeks or so. As for the purplish color after removing silicone sheeting, I would have to see it. It may be irritation of the scar from the sheet. Check with your doctor.