Post Eyelid Surgery: Had Stitches Removed Twice and Some Still Remain

Should I go back again if I still see some stitches. I'm concerned that I'll have permanent scaring if the stitches are not removed properly. I see blue thread.

Yes of course go back.

+3

I am sorry if your surgeon makes you feel like you are an imposition on their schedule.  This is nonsense.  The surgeon who operated on you is also responsible for overseeing your recovery.  Call the office and have them assess the suture.  If the office has a nurse that does this, that it fine too. Occasionally a fragment of suture or even a suture can be missed.  Generally these do not lead to additional scaring and it is a simple matter to this dealt with. However, your surgeon cannot help you if you do not communicate. 

Blue eyelid sutures

+1

It sounds like you have some buried sutures left that are attempting to extrude.   Eyelid sutures are very small and, given the swelling when they are removed, a stitch can be missed.  It's no big deal to remove the suture now and your surgeon should be accomodating about this.  You should go on to heal well and without a suture mark but, if you are concerned, continue to followup regularly with your surgeon.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Blue thread are stitches left after Eyelid Surgery

+1

Yes, the blue threads are prolene stitches which are permanent and should be removed after the eyelid surgery.  Go back and have your surgeon remove them.

Definitely have sutures re-removed

+1
Eyelid sutures are incredible fine- it is relatively common suture fragment may be missed. The good news is that the blue sutures you mention rarely create extra scarring, even if removal is delayed for weeks. Give your surgeon a call- the third time is the charm!

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stitch left?

+1

make an appt and let them check. sometimes as the swelling recedes small fragments of suture  not visible previously become noted. it is possible and not a problem. go back. good luck.

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery

+1

Hi. You should call the surgeon's office and tell them that you still see some thread. I'm sure they'll be happy to take out whatever it is that was left behind. This shouldn't affect your results, and I know in my office, where my nureses mainly remove the sutures that it is not overly uncommon to have a small fragment that was accidentally left behind. Don't be too concerned about this as your doctor will help you out. Hope this helps.

Roger Bassin, MD
Orlando Oculoplastic Surgeon