Eyelid Surgery Revision Needed: Ended Up With Down Syndrome Eyes

I had a brow lift and upper blepharoplasty 2 weeks ago. I am 41 years old. I wanted a refreshed look not a total change of my eyes. I am desperate. Don"t know what to do.

Update: I am feeling better and I am pleased with my results.

Revision Eyelid Surgery

+4

As with most cosmetic surgery, the final results from blepharoplasty take months to manifest. Your results are likley to change in the coming weeks. You are still bruised from surgery which is an indication of how early in the recovery phase you are. Don't panic and discuss your concerns with your physician.

Eyelid Swelling after Surgery Usually Resolves

+4

Since it is only two weeks after surgery, I believe it is far too early to panic. Many patients have swelling and other problems that resolve several weeks after surgery. As the swelling resolves, the eyelids can return to a more normal position.

Please talk to you surgeon and ask his or her opinion. A revision may be necessary if you are unhappy with the results after all of the swelling is gone.

David Schlessinger, MD
Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon

Unhappy after upper blepharoplasty and brow lift

+3

Dear Isa, As others have stated, without the preoperative photos, and so early in the healing process, it is not possible for any of us to comment fairly on your impressions regarding your eyes.  However, the reaction you are having now to your surgical results suggests that you and your surgeon have a communication gap.  Especially if he/she is expressing satisfaction with your result, and you are shocked.   Of course, we all strive to prevent this gap by having extensive and multiple discussions with patients to make sure there is adequate agreement before the surgery- but sometimes, despite our best efforts these feelings of shock or horror still occur.  Maybe your goals or expectations were different than your doctors.  This is something that needs to be addressed and mended between the two of you: better late than never. 

Yoash R. Enzer, MD

Yoash R. Enzer, MD, FACS
Providence Oculoplastic Surgeon

Uncertainty after blepharoplasty

+2

From your photo it is hard to be more specific than saying that you are still in the immediate post-operative period.  It is also hard to gauge your complaints without looking at your pre-operative photos. That being said, if you would like to be reassured, be evaluated by an oculoplastic surgeon and bring your pre-op photos - but it still might be a little early to get the best advice.

Richard Weiss, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty revision

+2

Early after surgery on the eyelids, patients have too much swelling to tell how the lids will ultimately look.  It is important to give the swelling time to resolve.

Malik Kutty, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid

+2

2 wks out too early to really tell final result..you need to see your plasic surgeon and work with massage and taping..in time eyes may look significally improved..good luck

Michael K. Kim, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Give Surgery Time Before Judging

+1

Although I don't know what you looked like before surgery, your 2 week results seem reasonable.  You need to wait before judging your results.  You should, however, see your surgeon and express your concerns.

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon

This is a little early to make such a harsh judgement regarding the surgical outcome.

+1

If the photograph you are still bruised and swollen.  You need time to let this settle.  There is no substitute for a personal consultation.  It is relatively common to get blue or depressed after surgery.  It is important not to make any snap judgements during this time.  Work with your surgery but avoid any revisional procedures until you have had 6 to 12 months to heal.  Resolution of the swelling can soften one's appearance and hopefully move you in the subjective direction you are looking for.

Lower eyelid position changed after Blepharoplasty.

+1

Lower Blepharoplasty or eyelid surgery can create a malposition of the lower eyelid where the eyelids look lower, rounded or rolled in/out in relation to the eye itself.  This occurs to different degrees with an external approach versus one through the inside of the lower eyelid and is the topic of a research paper that I published, on the subject, back in 1990 upon completeion of my facial plastic surgery fellowship.

IMHO, you should be seen for evaluation ASAP by an occuloplastic surgeon for possible treatment of the lower eyelid malposition.  The inside the eyelid approach was found, during my research, to create this lower lid malposition far less often than the external approach...and is the only way I perform Lower Blepharoplasty for 20 years now.