Average Amount of Lidocaine Per Sculptra Vial?

In the past I received sculptra without any anesthetic (no, I'm not kidding). I moved and the new dermatologist refuses to administer the injections unless she adds 4cc of 2% lidocaine. The literature suggests a lot less, so for me I think this is overdoing it, but she won't budge. What is the industry standard, and have any of you used that much?

+1

Thank you for your question. There are recommended reconstitution amount for Sculptra.  It is usually 2cc of lidocaine and patients seemed to be comfortable with this amount.  I would recommend being treated under the supervision of a Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon for safest and best treatment option. I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist

Sculptra and Lidocaine

+1

The majority of physicians will prepare Sculptra in water with lidocaine.   Each physician will have his or her preference on the dilution and the amount of lidocaine.

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Proper reconstitution of Sculptra

+1

Typically I like my Sculptra reconstituted with 5 ml of sterile water ~48h before use, and add 2 ml of 2% lidocaine immediately prior to injection.  However, adding 4 ml of 2% lidocaine is completely appropriate as well - as it will not affect the final result or your safety negatively in any way.  Your dermatologist most likely has a routine he/she is comfortable with and that has worked well in the past in his/her hands.  It's probably more strange that you won't budge about adding less lidocaine vs. your dermatologist not budging.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

The technique is as important as the lidocaine

+1

We add 2 cc of lidocaine solution to the sterile water. What we find especially reduces discomfort and the chance of a bruise, is the use of a cannula. Patients find it more comfortable than needle injections.

Christopher J. Peers, MD
South Bend Facial Plastic Surgeon

Adding Lidocaine to Sculptra mixture

+1

Every practice has its own way of mixing Sculptra. It's typically a mixture of sterile water and lidocaine. The use of lidocaine is for minimizing discomfort during and right after injection. I typically use 5cc of sterile water and 2cc of 1% Lidocaine. There are no set standard, just what works for each practice. It's more important to find the right physician with great result than worrying about small amount of Lidocaine. 

Best Wishes,

Stewart Wang, MD FACS, Wang Plastic Surgery

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

Amount of Lidocaine added per vial of Sculptra is 3cc in our office

+1

The consensus for mixing Sculptra these days is adding about 9 cc of a combination of sterile saline and lidocaine.  It used to be 3-4 cc total, but the greater dilution seems to lead to less nodule formation.  How much is Lidocaine and how much is saline is really up to the doctor.  In our office we use 3cc of 1% Lidocaine and 6 cc of saline.  I've known offices which reverse that mixture, but in the long run, it doesn't matter one bit.  I feel that the 3 cc gives enough numbing to the injection without worry of giving too much lidocaine.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Sculptra Injections...

+1

Every practice and provider has a different technque.  If you are not happy with the providers choice of injections, search for another. 

Hope this helps.

Dr. Grant Stevens              Marina Plastic Surgery Associates          Marina del Rey, CA The Institute

Grant Stevens, MD

Lidocaine in Sculptra vial

+1

Sculptra is reconstituted with sterile water.  It is up to the individual physician whether any lidocaine is added and how much.  It is not a necessity to add the lidocaine but is normally done to increase patient comfort during the injection.  If you really do not wish to have any lidocaine used and your physician refuses to perform the injection this way, I would search for another physician.

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lidocaine with Sculptra

+1

Adding Lidocaine to Sculptra before injections is common, but there is no industry standard.  If you are not happy with your new choice of doctor, then I would suggest finding another one.  However, if you keep the same doctor, I would suggest letting them use their standard of treatment.  The whole reason they are adding the lidocaine is for your comfort.  As an aside, 4 cc of 2% lidocaine is not anywhere near a toxic or dangerous level.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD