Asymmetrical Swelling or Bad Rhinoplasty?

I just had a rhinoplasty with septoplasty and turbinate reduction on June 21st. Now, it is 3 weeks later, and my nose looks REALLY crooked. The tip was definitely a looked crooked before surgery, but now it looks more so! And my tip is still rock hard and swollen. The doctor doesn’t seem worried, but I am. He gave my an injection in the tip at my 2-week check-up 5 days ago. I don’t notice any change yet.I am so sick about this. Professional opinions please?

Swelling After Rhinoplasty Takes Many Months To Go Down

+3

During the recovery phase from a rhinoplasty, the hardest thing to have is patience. While three weeks to you is understandably an eternity, when it comes to getting the final result from a rhinoplasty you are just getting started. If you read the forums here on Real Self on Rhinoplasty, you will see that the most consistent question or concern after surgery is swelling and/or asymmetry. Whatever your result may be, it is impossible to predict now and the only thing you know for sure is that it will change...in most cases for the better. Even though it is not the answer a patient wants to hear, six months after rhinoplasty is the time to critically assess where you are. And revisional surgery, if needed, will not be performed by most plastic surgeons until one year after the original procedure.

+3

It appears that you have some collapse of the lateral walls on your tip, causing the asymmetry. This may be from the position of the cartilage, or if too much cartilage was removed. Steroid injections will not solve this issue.

As far as the bridge it is hard to tell since you are only 3 wks from surgery. It is common to see asymmetries after surgery. If the asymmetry is related to swelling time will solve this.  Swelling is part of the surgical post op course, and steroid injections may work for specific areas, but not for the entire area involved. There are potential side effects to them as well so judicious use should be kept in mind.

Your best option is too allow the swelling to decrease, and monitor the progress. No treatment at this time.

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetrical swelling

+1

I hate to seem old fashioned, but you should follow your doctor's instructions and guidance.  Only he/she knows what is in the tip in terms of grafts and sutures.  Swelling os often asymmetrical but usually evens out over 12-18 months.  You have a lot of healing to do and my need more injections because of your thick skin. 

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetric nose 3 weeks after Rhinoplasty

+1

Really...three weeks after a Rhinoplasty is way to soon to evaluate your nose as swelling will change the shape literally day to day.  Wait several months to see the shape and make a dtermination at that time. 

3 weeks post-op

+1

Three weeks post surgery is still very early for you to judge the results of your surgery - be patient and follow up with your surgeon

Sam Naficy, MD

Swelling or a bad rhinoplasty

+1

At two weeks, it can be hard to tell how things will sort out and steroid injections at two weeks seems meddlesome if a sound surgical plan was followed. It can be reassuring if you used computer imaging to help plan nasal changes as you and your surgeon will have a clear idea as to how things are to be. Wait six months, and if your nose is not what you hope for seek a second opinion.

peterejohnsonmd

Rhinoplasty swelling

+1

You are very swollen and too early in the process to be seeking other opinions. Trust your doctor as he/she is the only one who knows what was done at this time. You have at least 3-6 months of healing ahead where you are going to see changes.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty results take 1 year.

+1

Having said that wait about 6 months and if the deviation and hump are still there return to your surgeon and if you are not satisfied seek a second opinion from an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon.

Asymmetric swelling….

+1
I agree with Dr.'s Eppley and Bentkover.

3 weeks after surgery is too early to tell.  I am not going to call this old-fashioned.  It is just the way the nose is.  Only the surgeon know what grafts were placed, how much inter operative bleeding existed, what the nose looked like on the table, etc.  Relax…  I would reassess at 6 weeks post operative and again at 3 mos after surgery.

Raghu Athre, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon