Rhinoplasty - Columellar Strut Too Long. It Pushes my Lip Forward. Will It Go Back?

I had a rib graft rhinoplasty (dorsum and strut) about 7 weeks ago and I am really not happy about how my lip looks (the upper portion of the lip). The lip is very projected and the tip is upturned. Is it the swelling or should I get a revision? Thank you

Change in Lip Contour after Rhinoplasty

+1

The fullness of your upper lip at the base of your nose is secondary to swelling 7 weeks after rhinoplasty with a columellar strut. Wait another 6-8 months before evaluating your final result. Your appearance will change and improve in the interim.

The swelling at the top of your lip could be swelling after placement of your columella-strut during Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+1

I read your concern and reviewed the limited nasal profile photo you posted. The swelling at your nasal base could be temporary swelling related to cartilage grafting performed during your rhinoplasty surgery. The base of your nose may remain firm and swollen for many months after your surgery. You should discuss your concerns with your surgeon for reassurance.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Regards from NJ.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

7 weeks post-op

+1

Seven weeks post surgery is still very early for you to judge the results of your surgery - be patient and follow up with your surgeon - stiff rib grafts will often loosen over time

Sam Naficy, MD

Rib graft

+1

Rib grafts are typically needed only in major revisions or previously traumatized noses with a lot of loss of structure. If either of these is your situation then you are going to have swelling for a long time. Be patient and stay with the program. Don't rush to have another revision.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty post op swelling

+1

This is definitely swelling. If you look at the lip volume pre and post, the difference is evident. A swollen lip feels slightly numb and stiff. You just need to be patient. And, the tip projection post graft looks good at this stage.

Howard Webster, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty results take 1 year.

+1

Rhinoplasty results take 1 year. It is too soon to say what is going on. Wait 6 months and get an opinion from your surgeon. If not satisfied get a second opinion.

Columella issues

+1

It is way to early to judge. Rib cartilage is very firm and the secondary swelling may be your problem. Please wait for a longer period of time as the nose/lip complex will change.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD