Areola Reduction with No Skin Excision--periareolar Subcuticular Purse String Suture? (photo)

Feeling self concious about areola size after 300cc impants and then having a child. I would like to exchnage impants for 425-475cc moderate profile, but my Dr. doe not recommend a lift because the scarring is not worth the trade off in his expert opinion (and he feels I dont need a lift). Anyone have experience with periareolar subcuticular purse string suture to reduce areola size less dramatically than with skin excision? Your opinion is very appreciated.

Areolar Reduction Breast Surgery

Patients often ask me if their areolas will appear larger after breast augmentation.The areola will measure larger but the proportion of your areola to breast will not change. Based on your photos, I agree with your surgeon that you do not appear to need a breast lift.  The areola can be made smaller by excising a portion of it or by placing a purse string suture.  In my experience, doing both gives the most long lasting result.  Remember, by increasing the size of your implant from 300cc to 425-475cc will also make your areola appear larger.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

7700 Lead Mine Road
Raleigh, NC 27615

Areola reductions bring the potential for scarring

and I personally agree with your surgeon that you should not do anything.  This is not a perfect world and your areolas are more generous than you desire.  But would you like it better if you had a smaller areola with a horrendous scar around them?   My patients would not like that. 

If you do see other doctors and they promise they can achieve what you desire, I caution you and ask that you understand their revision policy should things not work out as you desire so you are not left 'holding the bag' in the end and worse off then what you started with.

Curtis Wong, MD

1950 Rosaline Avenue
Redding, CA 96001

Large areolas

Yes you could have a donut mastopexy/arealor reduction but since want to go bigger it may limit the size of your new implants but a periareolar reduction wiuth a purstring is fine.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

3700 Central Avenue
Fort Myers, FL 33901

Periareolar reduction

I personally believe that you would benefit with an areolar reduction, regardless if you change your implant size or not.  I am not a big fan of the purse string.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

Talmage J. Raine, MD, FACS
Champaign Plastic Surgeon

1405 W Park Street
Urbana, IL 61801

Areola Reduction with No Skin Excision

Areolar reduction is almost always done with skin excision as the standard. The scars are usually an acceptable trade off for the improvement. I would ask your surgeon to show you some photos of average scars after a per--areolar lift so that you can get an idea of what to expect, though scars are different on each patient. Then you can make a reasonably educated choice as to whether the scar is worth it for the expected size reduction. 

Sometimes it is possible to make a number of stab incisions around the areola to place the permanent purse-string suture, but you would need quite a few of these, and I am not sure that the smaller intermittent scars would be better than the standard incisions.

Thanks for the question, and best wishes.

1110 112th Avenue NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

Circumareola sutures

I perform circumareola suture placement for the situation you describe and for small areola lifts all the time. you should go for a consultation.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Areola Reduction with No Skin Excision--periareolar Subcuticular Purse String Suture?

By the definition of the purse string operation we are removing areolar skin! So a scar could occur. Best you seek in person evaluations to fully understand this technique. 

6330 Manor Lane
Miami, FL 33143

Areolar sub-cuticular sutures can be use in selected cases but are not very effective 

You could reduce the size of your areolae without a lift or even excising skin. but it will involve a scar around the areolae

These scars usually heal very well

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

670 Glades Rd
Boca Raton, FL 33431

Misunderstanding areolar reduction

An areolar reduction with permanent suture control of the areolar size would probably be nice but it dies involve excising some skin.  It isn't done by just putting in a suture.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

1135 116th Ave. NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

Areola size and implants

I think the key is to figure what you are willing to accept in term of scars. You have a great shape and the size is very nice so going up to 425-475 may overload your tissue and frame. An areola reduction with permanent suture as Dr Repta discussed so well is the procedure of choice. Good luck and please update us on your decision and results. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon.

Gregory T. Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

8720 Stony Point Pkwy
Richmond, VA 23235