I Am Allergic to Xylocaine is There an Alternative?

I would like to have smart lipo done and was wondering is there a alternative to xylocaine

Liposuction and allergy to lidocaine

+2

Liposuction is safest when tumescent local anesthetic is performed. That means high volume, low concentration of Xylophone (Lidocaine) local anesthetic and adrenaline.  The safety and numbers of tumescent liposuction were investigated and invented by Dr. Jefferey Klein, a dermatologist.  No other anesthetic should be used in lieu of Lidocaine as the serum levels will not be the same and until that particular anesthetic's  metabolism is studied at this high volume, low concentration being absorbed through the fatty layer into the blood stream, no one will know how high the serum concentration would be during, or hours after, the liposuction.  Toxic levels might occur!

You may not, however, be allergic to Xylocaine. There are preservatives in multidose vials to which you may be allergic, or you may be referring to palpitations of the heart that you might feel, especially in the dentist's office, as it is more typical to feel the affect of the adrenaline which is often in the local anesthetic via absorption through the oral mucosa and this rapid transfer into the blood causes the heart to race.  You might be able to be tested by an allergist, if this hasn't been done previously, and you may find that you don't have a true allergy. You would need your allergist and surgeon to communicate thoroughly so that no chances are taken if you do undergo the liposuction eventually.

Lidocaine Alternatives for Tumescent Anesthesia

+2

There are many alternatives to lidocaine on the market that can be  used. However, the nature of your reaction to lidocaine should be carefully evaluated by an allergist, or allergy specialist. I would recommend an evaluation by an allergist for local anesthetic reactions, followed by a very localized or limited trial of tumescent anesthesia in a small location with the local anesthetic that is selected as safe for your use. However, a word of caution is in order.  Lidocaine has been studied extensively for safety in tumescent anesthsia, while other local anesthetics have been studied very little and the safety profile is unknown.

If you choose to proceed with liposuction after the risks are  known, I would recommend liposuction of only one or two small areas at a time if there are local anesthetics found safe for you. Of , a general anesthetic could be considered. Tumescent solution without the local anesthetic (diluted epinephrine) to reduce bleeding. General anesthesia results in significantly more blood loss for liposuction.

Temp Patterson, MD
Burley Facial Plastic Surgeon

All patients who think they are allergic to xylocaine should be tested in a doctor's office under a physician's care.

+2

In reality it is very unusual for anyone to be allergic to this drug.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist