Why Do I Look Bigger Later in the Day (Smart Lipo)?

Hi, I had smart lipo about 4 weeks ago on my abs and flanks and I am really excited to see my results. When I first wake up in the morning, my stomach area looks amazing. It's perfectly fat and I can tell a big difference. However, as I go on with my day (I have a desk job), I noticed that my stomach gets bigger and starts looking back to the way it was (lumpy and fatty). Is this normal and if so is the permanent?

Swelling After SmartLipo (and Liposuction)

I'm glad you're happy with the SmartLipo.  The reason why you're noticing your stomach is bigger at the end of the day is due to soft tissue swelling during the healing process.  This shouldn't be a permanent issue and will resolve over time.  However, did your physician recommend that you continue to wear your compression garment even 4 weeks out?  Although recommendations will vary from doctor to doctor on the length of time to wear a garment, it is safe to continue to wear the garment even longer than the generally recommended timeframe.  I recommend that patients wear it for 4-6 weeks postoperatively, and even longer in those patients that exhibit more swelling than normal - typically individuals who have high activity levels leading to more persistent swelling.

SmartLipo and swelling

Any type of liposuction is going to cause many months of intermittent tissue swelling which can make things look lumpy, indented, full, etc.  This is expected and should improve over the first several months. Normally it is suggested that you expect six months are needed to see the maximal effect of the liposuction.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

This is the gravity effect. It will take a few months to fully heal. Be patient and lymphatic massages could be a benefit. 

Early days

It is great you are seeing some results at this early time. It is almost certain your surgeon explained that the timeframe of healing improves over several months.

You are describing water and swelling. These will continue to diminish. As long as you feel some mild soreness, or see flluctuations, you are not yet at your end point.

The compressive garment is very helpful.  Most of our patients love it.  --some hate it.  But there can be no denying that you will get there faster the more you use it.  

Christopher J. Peers, MD
South Bend Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Smart Lipo

The swelling you are experiencing later in the day is normal and should resolve over time. It takes at least 6 weeks for early healing to be complete and final results often are not apparent for about 6 months. Many surgeons recommend wearing compression garments for 6 weeks or more. I recommend that you discuss your concerns with your surgeon. He may recommend wearing the compression garments longer. This will maximize your chances for a lasting excellent result from your surgery.

Temp Patterson, MD
Burley Facial Plastic Surgeon

Why Do I Look Bigger Later in the Day (Smart Lipo

Thank you for submitting your question. Swelling after liposuction will last for many weeks after surgery. Final results take 6-12 months. It is normal in the first few months that the swelling worsens through out the day with activities. This is not permanent.  Continue to use your contour garment, massage the hard areas, external ultrasound and lymphatic massage will help to decrease swelling faster. Discuss your concerns with your Plastic surgeon