"Aggressive" Massaging After Breast Lift/augmentation

It has been 2 1/2 months since my lift/implants and my right side is still not dropping much. My Dr. told me to get aggressive with massaging... I bought a small rolling pin to help with the pushing down. Just wondering what is "aggressive"? how many times a day and how quickly can a implant drop, is it over weeks or within days? Also,if I have to have another surgery to "pull" the implant it down, when is that decided?

Breast augmentation and massaging

+1

Hi,

There are two schools of thought in the plastic surgery community as far as massaging.  Some feel it helps keep the pocket larger in comparison to the implant size and thus the recommendation to do it.

Others feel that massaging causes an inflammatory response that would help cause a capsule formation and hard breast.  Thus they do not recommend it.

I personally used to be agressive at massaging but over the years have become less agressive at it.  I am not sure that anyone is right or wrong in either approach.

Your doctor thinks that agressive massaging is in your best interests in his/her mind.  Ask your surgeon what that means to be agressive.  Then follow their direction and see where it goes.  If there is something that bothers you as time goes on, then you can discuss your options.

Steven M. Lynch, M.D.  Albany, New York

Albany Plastic Surgeon

Massage after Breast Augmentation

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Since you have had the procedure I would recommend that you follow your plastic surgeon's recommendations.  Most  likely he/she has recommended massage of the breast implants  which is felt by many plastic surgeons to be helpful in keeping the breast implant soft.  if you have questions about the  specific technique  your plastic surgeon recommends then address those with him/her during your next visit. Otherwise, I'm afraid you will be confused or overly anxious with online consultants' recommendations.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastaugmentation.htm

BREAST MASSAGE VIDEO

+1

I would discuss the level of agressiveness with your surgeon. However, it can take up to 6-9 months prior to deciding on the timing of breast revision surgery.