I'm 3 1/2 Weeks Post Op from a Tummy Tuck. When Can I Sleep Without my Binder?

The binder is your friend

+2
I generally recommend that patients sleep in the binder for about four weeks postop Although I permit them to remove it during the daytime sooner, they report that it gives them support and guards against unconscious movement while asleep.

I'm 3 1/2 weeks postop from a tummy tuck. When can I sleep without my binder?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question!. The tummy tuck procedure is an excellent method for contouring of your abdomen, often removing the excess skin as well as tightening the abdominal wall. After nearly all surgical procedures, a potential space is created from where the surgical procedure/dissection was performed. This is especially true for the tummy tuck, in where the abdominal flap is raised off of the abdominal wall and then redraped atop the area to contour the abdomen. The procedure alone promotes swelling and inflammation, which typically lasts for 6-12 weeks. This may even last longer if liposuction has been performed in addition. During this time, a few things may be done to allow adherence of the abdominal skin/soft tissue to readhere to the abdominal wall and close that space. Many surgeons use drains to evacuate the expected serous fluid from building up. Stagnant fluid as such may be a nidus for infection as well as does not allow the tissue to adhere back to its normal anatomic position. Drains usually are removed once output is <30cc/day - usually removed within 3-4 weeks on average, sometimes longer. When this occurs, a seroma may develop - which may require aspiration or surgical evacuation to rid this in order to optimize your result.

This is not an uncommon reason for persistent swelling and/or bulging in a certain area of your belly. Of course, thwarting the development of a pseudobursa, or seroma capsule, is always best, to provide the best result as well as avoid any future procedures for this. This may be a troubling consequence and often compromises your overall result. Thus avoiding this complication, in whatever manner, is the objective. "Drainless" tummy tucks are becoming more popular - basically, the overlying tissue is physically sutured to the abdominal wall to close the potential space. In addition, most surgeons typically restrict vigorous activity/strenuous exercise as well as lifting restrictions of usually <20#, especially the core, for 6-8 weeks to allow healing to continue. Most also often recommend an abdominal compression-type binder or garment, which will serve to provide compression as well as assist to decrease swelling and eliminate the dead-space of the area for at least 6 weeks as well. After the initial binder, many patients like the Spanx garments. Most patients are able to return to most activities within a couple of weeks, provided they adhere to the restrictions.

Overall, this is a procedure with a high satisfaction rate. Discuss the procedure and postoperative instructions/restrictions with your surgeon, as these will vary among surgeons. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

How long do I wear a surgical garment after tummy tuck

+1

At Gayoso Plastic Surgery, I require my tummy tuck patients to wear a surgical garment for at least 3 weeks after surgery, but I do not allow any abdominal exercising for a total of 3 months after surgery in order to protect the internal 'corset' stitches that I place to give the stomach a flat appearance.  I would encourage you to discuss this with your surgeon as every surgeon has his/her own protocol for the length of time a surgical garment is worn in the post operative period.

Antonio Gayoso, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

31/2 Weeks Post-Op from TT When Can I Stop Garment?

+1

I recommend my patient wear their compression garments six weeks post-operative time period to allow for maximum skin contraction.

Rondi Kathleen Walker, MD
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sleep without Binder after Tummy Tuck

+1

For most of my patients, 2 weeks with a binder is enough but you should check with your surgeon to be sure.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Binder after Tummy Tuck?

+1

Every plastic surgeon has his/her own “protocol” that he/she believes will achieve the best results. It would be in your best interests ( and most respectful)  if you ask your plastic surgeon with his/her recommendations are.