How Soon After Surgery Can I Start Scar Treatment?

I'm 17 days post op from. TT and BA. I Want to start using silicone sheeting I'm my.TT scar. How soon can I start? I did not have steri strips. My PS used stitches. I'm not doing anything with the scar except cleaning and putting ointment on it.

I rarely recommend scar treatments to my patients.

There is little or no evidence that they work.

The various silicone products may slightly speed up scar maturation but I don't believe they are worth the time or expense in most cases.

They serve mainly to give people something to do while Mother Nature goes about her work. She takes at least a year and, depending on the skin type, two years or more to produce the final scar result.

The only exceptions would be in those patients who have a history of abnormal scarring, or in those where the scars are still thicker or redder than they should be for that stage of healing. In these cases modalities such as silicone sheeting or laser may be appropriate.

Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Scar care after tummy tuck

Thank you for your post. In tummy tuck and other lift/tightening surgeries, tension is the enemy. The scar is healing gradually over 12 weeks or so, and until it is strong, it is the weakest link. As there is a great deal of tension in tummy tucks, body lifts, breast lifts, etc., the scar is at high risk of 'stretching' or widening. Silicone sheeting, although having the ability to make a scar flat, does nothing to prevent stretching of the scar. Creams or steroids or lasers also do not have the ability to prevent stretching of the scar. Those are used if scar is thick or dark, but not to reduce the wideness of the scar, which is the main problem. Massage also does not help keep the scar thin, and can actually worsen the scar in the first 12 weeks because you are actually adding tension to the scar. Massage is for softening a hard or thick scar, but if used early, will hasten the scar widening. Only tension reduction has the ability to keep the scar as thin as possible. You may notice in a lot of tummy tuck scars that the center portion of the scar is the widest with the sides toward the hips being the thinnest. This is because the maximum tension is at the center, and least amount on the sides. Embrace removes a lot of the tension by putting more tension on the skin on either side of the incision and drawing the incision together. It is expensive though at about $100 per week for 12 weeks. When patients do not want to spend the money for embrace, I tape the incision trying to remove as much tension as possible for 12 weeks and recommend no stretching back and to sit most of the time, keeping tension off the scar.
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck scar treatment options

all wounds go through several stages of healing. There is no benefit of apply any "scar treatments" until after scars start to contract which is about 4 weeks. until then it is best to keep the skin well hydrated and moisterized.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

As soon as your wound is no longer having any drainage you may start using topical scar creams as well as silastic sheeting. Watch out for any signs of skin maceration that may be caused by excess moisture under the silastic. Good luck!

Mark Preston, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Timing of scar treatment after TT.

If I have a concern that a patient of mine may get an active, raised scar after TT or Breast augmentation, I will start using silicone sheeting early, at about 5-7 days, after surgery.  The wound only needs to be closed for the sheeting to be placed on.  There is little downside to this besides some minor skin irritation from increased moisture beneath the sheeting.

Scar care following breast and body surgery

Thanks for your question.  Scars - whether created surgically or acquired through trauma - go through a maturation process that begins during the initial healing of the wound itself, typically takes up to a full year or more to complete.  During this time, we have some control over the quality of the final appearance of the scar. This begins with meticulous incision closure by the surgeon, followed by keeping tension off the healing wound and maturing scar, with steri-strips or tape, in addition to a bra or abdominal binder.  Studies have also demonstrated the utility of silicone (in the form of scar sheets or gel) and scar massage in the first several months after healing, to flatten and smooth the scar.  Finally, protection of the maturing scar from the sun, with SPF 30 or greater sunscreen or direct covering, keeps the scar from pigmenting or darkening relative to the surrounding skin.  I have my patients begin the use of silicone scar sheets and massage as soon as the initial healing phase is complete - usually at around 2 weeks post-op.

Joshua D. Zuckerman, MD, FACS

Now might be okay, but ask your surgeon

If your incision line is closed and a fresh scar has formed over it, then you can start using the sheets. To be sure, though, you should ask your surgeon.

1 month

I usually wait until it has been 1 month after surgery before allowing the patients to apply scar gels.

Scar Treatment after tummy tuck

I offer scar preparations and laser therapy to my tummy tuck patients. It is always important to share anything like this with your plastic surgeon prior to using a product. Follow his guidelines.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Silastic Sheeting & Topical Agents for Scarring

A large variety of agents are currently available for the treatment of scarring.  At this point in time there doesn’t seem to be a consensus amongst plastic surgeons regarding their effectiveness.  Nevertheless, their use appears to be increasing amongst cosmetic surgery patients.

These agents include a variety of topical agents and silastic sheeting.  We generally recommend starting them 2 to 3 weeks following surgery as long as no open areas or scabbing is present.

It’s important to discuss scar treatment with your plastic surgeon.  Your surgeon should be able to make an appropriate recommendation.