After Restylane, I Now Have a Vein Between my Eyes That Sticks out when I Smile. Is This Part of the Bruising Process? (photo)

A week ago I had Botox in the area between my eyebrows (anger lines) and crow's feet. Just today I went back for Restylane, and had the injections placed under my eyes (for the first time ever) and around my smile lines. Just a few hours after the procedure, I came home and noticed bruising. I hear this is pretty typical of Restylane, but now when I smile big, you can see a huge vein bulging from right between my eyes up to my hair line. Is this part of my bruising and will it heal? Please help!

Bulging Forehead Vein after Restylane?

+1

Hi Firefly.  It would be impossible to tell without the before picture to know what to think of the vein in your forehead.  It is certainly apparent in the photo and it's possible that the product injected could have led to a partial closure of a blood vessel that is causing this.  Your best bet is to see your injector again to rule out anything like this effect.

After Restylane, I Now Have a Vein Between my Eyes That Sticks out when I Smile. Is This Part of the Bruising Process?

+1

Restylane, like any soft tissue fillers and needle based therapies, can cause bruising.  The vein, that you describe, should not be affected by the Restylane unless it was injected close to the vein IMHO.

+1

Sorry for a 2 to 3 days response rate. But you need to seek medical attention to be safe. Not very usual to see this vein issue. 

Visible vein after Restylane injection in the under eye area

+1

There is a vein that runs at the junction of the nose and the orbicularis oculi muscle surrounding the eye.  If the filler is placed close enough, the vein may become compressed and not drain as well as usual, creating  the bulging that you describe.  This is not part of the bruising.  A bruise does not get larger or smaller with smiling. 

I recommend returning to your injecting physician for a re-evaluation.  You may need a small amount of hyaluronidase injected in the area to lessen the amount of filler and to decrease the vein compression. 

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Dilated vessel after filler

+1

If the prominent vessel came after the Restylane injection, then it can't be normal.  It is possible the Restylane is affecting the engorged blood vessel.  You should contact your physician immediately, or another oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon