How Soon After my First Alar Base Reduction, Will I Be Able to Have a Second Alar Base Reduction Procedure?

2 weeks ago. I had my third rhinoplasty (revision) to revise a supratip hump and to smoothen my bridge more. No bones were broken. I also took my surgeon's advise and had alar base reduction at the same time, as he said my nostrils were flared. Unfortunately it looks like my left nostril is very slightly more flared than my right. It seems as if he did not reduce the left one enough. I know its only been two weeks. However i would like to know if he could reduce my left alar base ASAP?

Early Alar Base Reduction

+1

Early on, nostril asymmetries can be present in the nose.  It is important to see how the changes occur when swelling decreases.  In cases of alar base asymmetry early on, you are usually better off waiting around 6 months, depending on the type of case.

Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alar base reduction

+1

Two weeks is too soon to think about revising an alar base reduction.   Swelling is still a factor, and I would not recommend attempting to revise an alar base reduction for at least 6 months. At this point, I would recommend communicating your concerns to your surgeon, as he/she knows the details of your surgery. Thanks and I hope this helps!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Alar Base Reduction

+1

It is very common to see asymmetry or differences in the nostrils after alar base reduction, especially if a rhinoplasty was performed at the same time. I have repeated alar base reduction three months after the initial procedure, but that is generally the earliest I would consider repeat surgery. In general, there may be a lot of uneven swelling and healing and I would let that settle before proceeding with a surgery that may not be necessary and has a chance of making things worse.

Gregory J. Vipond, MD, FRCSC
Inland Empire Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alar base

+1

I would not jump into another surgery immediately...I would allow the entire nose to settle out....perhaps at the 6-9 month mark you can re-visit the alar base with the surgeon if you think it truly needs to be adjusted....

Michael A. Carron, MD
Detroit Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fourth rhinoplasty

+1

Thank you for the question, For your best interest, I think you should address that question to your plastic surgeon. In general, waiting is on your side because as the swelling starts to subside, you will see change in your nose and you may not need surgery in the future.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Revision of Alar Base Reduction

+1

Asymmetrical temporary post op swelling may be the cause of your problem 2 weeks after your surgery. Wait  10-12 months before considering a revision. Your alar base will change as healing progresses.

Alar base issue

+1

WIthout seeing you or seeing photos, I can not suggest what would be best. It is best for you to ask your surgeon directly.