How Long Should it Take to See a Difference from Liposuction to the Abdomen, Flank and Thighs?

I had liposuction done 6weeks ago on my upper and lower abdomen, flanks, outer a d inner thighs. So far, I have seen an impressive difference only on the flanks and little on the upper and lower abdomen. While I don't think I have noticed anything really on my thighs. I'm just so confused about how long I'm to see the difference on both areas. Its been 6 weeks. After my liposuction, My doctor said he noticed I have muscles undernith the fat and he said it was built due to my previoug gym routine

Results after liposuction of the trunk

+2

In general there is 2.2 pounds per liter of fat removed.      In general you are 50% of the way there at 6 weeks and 80% at 3 months.    When large areas are treated with liposuction there is always some degree of fluid retention.   Liposuction is really more about how much fat is left behind and not how much fat is removed. You can remove all of the fat and it will not look very good.

Liposuction - How Long to See Results?

+1

I generally tell my patients that it takes about 4-6 weeks to see 85% of the result, 3 months for 95% and 6 months for the final result.  In some cases, it can take even longer than that.  So at 6 weeks you should have a pretty good idea of what you'll have but by no means the final result.  But I would advise waiting at least another 6 weeks before even beginning a discussion of doing more, and holding off on doing a revision for at least the full six months.  You should, of course, discuss all of this with your own PS.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,
Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

It may take 3-6 months for final result after liposuction

+1

In some patients, it may take 3-6 months before the final result is evident, assuming you are NOT gaining weight (except muscle mass).  Also, remember, liposuction can only remove the fat and not change the underlying anatomy (such as thick thigh muscle, bone, etc.)

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction Recovery

+1

Thank you for your question.  Although many patients see results at the 6 week mark, on average, it can take 3-6 months for all of the swelling to subside and to see the final results.   Best Wishes!

+1

Was your surgeon a boarded PS? In most cases after 6 weeks results are usually present. Sounds like you have an issue. Sorry.