A Popped out Belly Button, Will It Go Inside? (photo)

I'm at 2 weeks post tummy tuck, my belly button looks like it is popped out, so unatural look, will it go back inside?

A Popped out Belly Button,

+2

First of all, from the photo this appears to be a well planned and executed abdominoplasty. 

The navel appears to have some swelling, and that is common, and usually resolved over the course of a few months. The one thing that may not resolve is if this is an umbilical hernia. Usually, though, that would have been apparent before surgery.

Please follow up with your surgeon. An examination can easily distinguish between these two alternative explanations. 

Thanks for your question, and best wishes.

Belly button after tummy tuck

+2

swelling in this area is not uncommon. It takes almost 3-6 months before you will se a significant decrease in the swelling.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Belly button might improve with time

+2

Thank you for the question and photo.  The belly button can change in shape or appearance secondary to swelling after a tummy tuck.  I would not worry too much about it at this time since it is early.  I suspect that it will improve with time.  If the amount of improvement is not enough for you a belly button revision under local can be performed quite easily.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Belly buttons may stay swollen for a while after a tummy tuck

+2

Thank you for  your question and photograph. It is not unusual for your belly button to be swollen for several weeks after a tummy tuck. This swelling will make it bulge out for a while. Be patient, it should go down over time.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Still too early to tell

+2

Two weeks is still too early to tell what your final result be. Ask your surgeon if anything technically was done to make it stay popped out. your belly button will look different from before surgery, so be patient.

Armin Moshyedi, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Popped out belly button

+2

Hi,

Your belly button has been formed with a technique that needs time to settle.  It has a herniated appearance now but this might be due to the swelling of the belly button stalk as it is protruding through the new opening for the belly button.  I am seeing your tummy tuck scar and it is very nicely formed and low.  This tells me that whoever did your tummy tuck was picky and picky is good.  I would think that time will be on your side to let the appearance of the belly button get better.

However, if it does not get better, then you and your plastic surgeon need to discuss the situation and come to conclusions as to what will be done if it does not get more normal looking.  Noone wants a flat abdomen that has as its focus a button--like appearance.  This is not attractive at this point.

Having said all of this you must remember that you are in the infancy of your procedure.  You are only two weeks and probably still have your drains in place !!   Let some time go by.  Options are easy to settle your situation in a local anesthesia office revision if needed.  Get the opinions of your doctor but if you were my patient, I would encourage you to be patient as so many things change with time.

Good luck with your entire procedure.  I am sure you will be very happy after you feel more comfortable with the belly button appearance,

Steven M. Lynch, M.D.  (Albany, New York plastic surgeon)

Steven M. Lynch, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Belly button after tummy tuck

+1

This appears to be a very nice abdominoplasty result at two weeks. The swelling of the belly button is very common and I see this in almost all of my patients. It will take anywhere from 1-2 months for the swelling to fully subside, but it will. No need to worry, just give it time. 

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon