How Long Until I Can Work out After Hair Transplant Surgery?

I had hair transplant one month ago. Can I go to the gym and workout (gym exercises) now? Please tell me.

Exercise after Hair Transplants

You can exercise one month after surgery as long as you do not wear tight head bands or caps, which will not cause any permanent damage, but may increase post-operative swelling. Avoid swimming for another month because you don't want to soak fresh wounds. Get back in the gym. It would be a shame to spend that time and money to improve your appearanceand then end up fat and out of shape.

Working out after NeoGraft

For the first week be careful of what kind of strenuous activity you perform. Weight lifting and intense workouts should not be done for 14 days. 

David L. Robbins, MD, FACS
West Des Moines Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after hair transplant

I generally advise my patients to wait ten days before exercising. However, every doc has their own post transplant protocol.    

Tim Neavin, MD

Exercise after a hair transplant - when can I resume?

This is such an important question. The main issues with regard to exercise is preventing sudden changes in blood pressure that could affect the grafts. For patients who had follicular unit extraction procedures (FUE), I advise return to light cardiovascular activity at day 8 and light weights at day 11. Heavy weights at day 14.

For patients who had strip surgery (FUSS), I advise return to light cardiovascular activity at day 12 and light weights at day 15. Heavy weights at day 21. The main issue with FUSS type procedures is proper healing of the donor site.

Working out after hair transplantation

The quick answer is yes, you can work out one month after hair transplantation surgery. I recommend patients resuming workouts in three to four days after an FUE procedure. If you have had a strip technique, then resume workouts in six to seven days. I would avoid swimming or submerging your head under water in the first three weeks.

Back to the Gym After Hair Transplant

Hello there, and thanks for your question. You should have no problems resuming your regular workout routine after a month. I usually tell my San Diego-area hair restoration patients to take between 10 and 14 days off from the gym, although these guidelines may vary from patient to patient. A month is plenty of time to allow the grafts to heal properly.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Exercise following hair transplant

If it has already been a month since your procedure, it is perfectly fine for you to resume your regular exercise routine and workouts at the gym.  Lighter exercise is fine 10-14 days following a procedure.  For more strenuous activity, it is best to wait at least 3 weeks.  Good luck. 

Grant Stevens, MD

Back to work after your hair transplantation

Of course it depends on what your job is but generally ı advice my patients to be away from work for 10-15 days.

Ozge Ergun, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Exercise and Hair Transplant

I advise my transplant patients to avoid any strenuous elevation of the heart rate and blood pressure for two weeks post procedure.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD