Hair Growth After Hair Transplant

I had a hair transplant of about 2,600 follicular unit extraction (FUE) grafts Nov 08. New hair is now visible in the frontal area, but it is sparse and I'm unhappy with the looks. Though most of the grafts were put in the frontal area of head, I had quite a few in the vertex area too, where so far I haven't seen any growth or changes. I'm now near the 6th month after surgery. What can I expect from this point on? What are my chances of having further improvement? Thanks!

Hair growth after hair transplant

Usually after hair transplant surgery, the hair has to go through its normal cycle of growth. Each hair follicle has its own cycle.   Depending on the it's position in its cycle, once implanted it will go through its cycle and therefore grows in accordingly.  So normally gradually the hair starts to grow in.  Around six months, about fifty percent of the hair would grow in, and continue to grow to up to 18 months after the procedure.  As it is starting to come in there is a stage when the hair growth looks kind of awkward, at that stage you just have to be patient.

Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair Growth After Hair Transplant. #NeoGraft #results

Thank you for your question!  Hair growth after transplantation requires patience.  It may be that even at the 6 month post operative point, the appearance of the result is not what you expected.  There are some patients that take longer to see results and is the reason why so many of the transplant surgeons stress waiting a good year before arriving at any conclusions as to the success of your procedure. 

It may take a full year

It may take a full year to see results after surgery.  If you are concerned follow up with your doctor for a recheck.  Some hairs may grow out faster than others.  

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

How Long Does Hair Growth Take After a Hair Transplant

New hair growth will only break through the skin at three to four months after the procedure. However, it will take at least six to eight months for the new hair to make any significant cosmetic difference to your appearance.
Although a full result may take as long as 18 months to be achieved, most will attain this at 12 to 14 months. Sometimes, a result may take longer to show when working with scars or filling in a previously transplanted area.
I usually take the first post op review around 8 months, and explain that this is phase 1, and review again for a near full result at 1 year. There are many factors that can make the growth come sooner or much later, and patience is extremely important!

Bessam Farjo, MBChB
Manchester Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair transplant growth cycles after transplantation

The hair grafts taken from the donor site along the back of your head are cycling through their growth cycle - much as they would in their original positions in your scalp. Some hairs have become dormant, and will resume growth in several months. Some hairs are in an active growth phase. Plan on waiting at least another 6-9 months before evaluating your result as 'final'.

Hair Growth post Neograft Hair Transplant

The rate of hair growth after transplantation varies from patient to patient. Some patients see small growth as soon as 3-5 months, however, most will begin to see growth around the 6-7 month mark. On average, patients see full growth anywhere from 12-18 months post procedure. There is a 98% success rate of those hairs growing after transplanted. 

David L. Robbins, MD, FACS
West Des Moines Plastic Surgeon

It's hard to wait.........

The hardest part of this procedure is the waiting.  What you are most likely noticing is that you see some hair, but you are disappointed with the overall fullness.  You have probably seen pictures of people who have a full head of hair 6 months after a transplant and wondering why this is not the case for you.  When you feel your head you might feel short hairs that are not yet growing.   Although you have seen some growth, it can take longer than a year for many of the transplanted hairs to grow.  The initial growth might be a thin, wispy hair despite the fact that the follicle was taken from a site where the hairs were thicker.   Don't despair.  It does get better.  However it could, as some have commented before me, take another 6-12 months of waiting.  I advise my patients of this because this has been my experience as a surgeon and as a patient.  As an aside, there has been some reports of enhanced  growth by injecting PRP into the scalp.  Perhaps it might be proven to stimulate the growth of transplanted follicles.  You might want to get an opinion about that from your hair transplant surgeon.

Barry S. Citron, MD, FACS
Montclair Plastic Surgeon

6 Months Post Surgery

At this point, your best bet is to continue following post-surgery instructions and keep in close touch with your surgeon.  Generally, it can take up to 12-18 months to see final results.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Expected Hair Growth After a Hair Transplant

At 6 months although transplanted grafts may not have reached their maximal hair-strand thickness or other characteristics such as curl pattern etc. (which help account for overall hair volume) some grown from grafts which remain viable should have occurred. 

Hair Growth Post Transplant can be categorized briefly into three phases
Catogen, Telogen and Anagen-

a) 0-1 month Post Transplant (Catogen Phase)
Typically 95% of transplanted hairs go through a brief Catogen phase where the newly transplanted short hairs (but NOT the actual hair follicles themselves where the growth occurs) are shed and fall out.

b) 1-4 months Post Transplant (Telogen Phase)
Newly transplanted hair follicles remain dormant anywhere between 1-4 months re-vascularizing and preparing themselves for the growth phase

c) 4-6 months (12 months Max Post Transplant) Anagen phase
Follicles will again begin to grow new hairs which will last anywhere from 2-6 years depending upon ones genetics prior to again cycling through the above phases.

Warm Regards,

Dr Quinton Chivers MD FRCSC
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons