Can a Person with No Hair Loss Get Hair Transplant?

If someone (a woman) naturally has thin hair without loss over time, and wants fuller and  thicker hair, would she be a good candidate for Hair transplant?

Transplant for thin hair in women

+3

assuming your scalp is healthy and you have good hormone balance there is no problem with using your own hair to add density in specific areas or even across a large area. This can be done even if you don't suffer from hair loss but just want to thicken things out.  Again the limiting factor would be the quality of the donor hair and donor site

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

Only a small % of women that I see in my practice are good candidates for hair transplants, due to the fact that it's typically diffused thinning all over.

Another area of concern would be if you have no hair loss, when you make the incisions in the recipient area, you are at risk of damaging the existing hair follicles. Often times you will have a net loss.

We would want to look at the scalp and follicles under magnification to determine if this would be worthwhile for the patient.

Jon E. Mendelsohn, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair Thickening with Hair Transplant in Women. Possible? Yes and No.

+2

about 30% of my practice is female hair restoration. I would say in your condition, i.e., someone who does not have thinning hair but just wants it thicker, I can get a successful outcome for you based on these limitations:

1. How thick your hair is. The thicker the hair, particularly in the donor area, the easier for me to achieve a thicker hair result in the tranpsplanted zone.

2. Curl. Although density can be easily achieved with straight hair, some curl can help.

3. Targeting zones. As i have described in other responses, adding hair in a T or L pattern following either central part or lateral part plus forelock I find to be the best way to thicken selective regions of the female head to maximize styling. Just sticking hair everywhere usually leads to a disappointed patient.

4. Obviously, realistic expectations and nothing can substitute for a consultation with me or an experienced hair transplant surgeon to determine your candidacy.

i have enclosed a nice video testimonial from a patient who in fact in her case was losing hair.

(one more thing: female hairline lowering is also something that i do in non-balding women btw.)

Samuel Lam, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Female Hair Thinning Alternatives

+1
With thinning hair an exam by a hair expert would be prudent to rule out many possible causes. This usually includes a good history,exam, pull test, and possibly blood work. 
There is a new Rogaine 5% foam for female pattern hair loss that is very effective.PRP injections also have been reported to be effective.

Hope this helps.

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon

Hair transplant to achieve fuller hair

+1
Hair transplant won't change the quality of the hair itself, it is really just moving hair from one area of the scalp to another.  If you lack density in the front or in the crown and have good density in the back, some of the hair follicles can be moved (transplanted) to the areas that you feel are too thin. There is no surgical method for actually adding hair to the scalp or giving you the appearance of thicker hair like extensions or hair pieces.

Grant Stevens, MD

+1

A hair transplant procedure can only increase the number of hairs within a given region of your head. They cannot enhance the thickness of your hair. The thickness/texture of your hair shafts is determined by the DNA in your hair follicles.

The way a hair transplant works is really by transferring hair follicles from one region to another. With women, the only place to get these follicles is from the head itself. Some women develop bald spots due to hair extensions.

So hair follicles from other regions are inserted into these bald areas. But if you have thin hair all over, there would be no point in transferring these hair follicles to other regions if you are aiming for a fuller and thicker end result.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Options for Tranplant with No Hair Loss

+1

Options would include low level laser and strengthening hair products.  Hair transplant would not be my recommendation to you.  It would only be an option of your donor site (region on back of head) has enough grafts to give to the area where the hair is thinner.  The last thing you want to do is create additional, noticeable thinning from one area to correct another.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Hair Transplant for women with thin hair

+1

Hair transplants occasionally can be used to thicken hair, but the problem is if their natural hair is relatively close together the transplant runs the risk of damaging hair.  There must be wide enough gaps between the hairs in order to put the transplant in.  Otherwise, you are killing perfectly good hair. 

Jack Fisher, MD

Thin hair and hair grafting in women

+1

You certainly could be a candidate and if you have the adequate donor sites to not experience a loss from the   scalp, you may choose to do it.  Thin hair is always an obstacle to having densely appearing recipient areas.   You should use your judgement about this, butt there is no contraindication to performing a hair grafting procedure.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

Hair transplant in women.

+1

Hair transplant in women is done when there are small areas of loss, but you have to have a good donor area from where to take the donor hair. This is done after evaluating the hair loss pattern and progression.