When Should Cracked Veneers Be Replaced?

I had an accident 8 years ago and to fix the "monstor teeth" that resulted, I had 6 porcelain veneers on my front teeth--top & bottom. Resulting in a dozen veneers, plus 2 crowns to fix the 2 shattered back teeth. Now 8 years later I seem to be having a problem with breakdown of those handcrafted lab manufactured veneers.

Replace when broken

+2

If there are simply little cracks that are not affecting the aesthetics, replacement is optional. The bond can be extremely strong and the cracks may not matter.

If they are actually broken, then replacement should be done. However, the bite may be an issue and should be evaluated. Materials today keep getting better and are stronger than even 8 years ago.

Web reference: http://www.bestseattledentist.com/html/veneers-seattle.html

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Replace cracked veneers only if it is a cosmetic failure

+1

Porcelain will often form cracks in it as they adapt to the tensions and stresses they experience in the mouth. Most of the time they are small, and minorly visible, and sometimes only visible in intense light. If they don't bother you, there is no need to replace them. They may last another 8 years or more. If the cracks bother you, replace the veneer.

Bellevue Cosmetic Dentist