Do Veneers on Molars Chip?

I would like to add veneers to my molars to achieve a wider smile. I have had orthodontic procedures and because of my age, my teeth are in good position but my smile can't be 'widened' any further.

Can you tell me if it is more likely that the veneers will come off teeth in the back of my mouth? I am worried about pressure and chipping.

Do Porcelain Veneers on Molars Chip?

+1

This is a great question. Porcelain on molar teeth has been widely used for decades.  An all porcelain crown or veneer on a molar tooth should be made from the new higher compressive strength porcelains now available, such as E-Max from Ivoclar.  If care is taken to adjust for the patient's individual bite, a molar veneer functions very well.

Pasadena Cosmetic Dentist

Anything is possible, but the odds are good!

+1

If you get veneers on your molars be sure to have the Dr really check your bite and your side to side grinding habits. A nightguard can be worn at nite to protect your veneers from chipping also. When I do veneers, all my patients get a nightguard to protect their investments and time.

Michael J. Thomas, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist