Is There Any Way to Whiten Veneers?

It seems like my veneers have gotten slightly darker. Is there any way to go about whitening them? Please help! Thank you!

Can I whiten my veneers?

If your veneers have actually gotten darker, than I assume that you had composite (plastic) veneers and not porcelain veneers.  Today, porcelain veneers are extremely dense and smooth, making them very color stable.  Rarely have I seen porcelain veneers that have darkened over time.

Sometimes there is a light stain on the surface, and the dentist or dental hygienist can polish that out.  Sometimes the tooth looks darker because the underlying tooth has become darker.  Teeth, contrary to porcelain veneers or crowns, can darken over the years.  In those cases, one might try to bleach the tooth with tray bleaching, putting the bleaching gel on the back side of the tooth so that it can permeate through the tooth from the back side and whiten the part of the tooth that was veneered.

However, using bleach on the actual veneer, whether composite plastic or porcelain will rarely lighten the tooth's color to any degree.

You might consider replacing your old veneers with one of the newer, stronger and more attractive porcelain materials like EMax porcelain.  These veneers are strong, long lasting and very color stable!

Laguna Niguel Cosmetic Dentist