Is There Any Way to Whiten Veneers?

It seems like my veneers have gotten slightly darker. Is there any way to go about whitening them? Please help! Thank you!

Can I whiten my veneers?

If your veneers have actually gotten darker, than I assume that you had composite (plastic) veneers and not porcelain veneers.  Today, porcelain veneers are extremely dense and smooth, making them very color stable.  Rarely have I seen porcelain veneers that have darkened over time.

Sometimes there is a light stain on the surface, and the dentist or dental hygienist can polish that out.  Sometimes the tooth looks darker because the underlying tooth has become darker.  Teeth, contrary to porcelain veneers or crowns, can darken over the years.  In those cases, one might try to bleach the tooth with tray bleaching, putting the bleaching gel on the back side of the tooth so that it can permeate through the tooth from the back side and whiten the part of the tooth that was veneered.

However, using bleach on the actual veneer, whether composite plastic or porcelain will rarely lighten the tooth's color to any degree.

You might consider replacing your old veneers with one of the newer, stronger and more attractive porcelain materials like EMax porcelain.  These veneers are strong, long lasting and very color stable!

Laguna Niguel Dentist

Whitening Veneers

You cannot whiten the veneers as the porcelain will not change color. If you want them whiter you would need to have them replaced.

Sylvan Fain, DDS
Miami Dentist

Whitening Veneers Is Not Possible

Porcelain veneers will not change color and can't be bleached.  If you feel that they have turned darker you either have leakage underneath the veneers or the natural tooth is turning dark under the veneers.  Either of these caused can only be corrected by replacing the veneers.  Good luck.

Can You Whiten Veneers?

It is not easy to lighten veneers however it depends on why your veneers are yellow.

If your teeth have darkened because the color of the cement has discolored you won't be able to whiten.  

If your veneers started out dark you can not whiten them either.

if your veneers were white and your teeth are darkening, you can try whitening-talk to your dentist!  Good luck!

Is There Any Way to Whiten Veneers?

So definitely with the fact that we’ve been doing porcelain veneers for quite a while and we’ve seen the trends change from colors that were much more natural to Hollywood white…now these days we get a lot of patients that will ask if can whiten their veneers, their porcelain veneers. The unfortunate reality is, is that the porcelain cannot be changed in the color.It’s kinda like having a uh china dish. It is what it is and it cannot be changed with bleaching or anything like that. It would have to be replaced if the color needed to be changed.

Veneers should be Color and shade Fast, if they are darkening this may be signs of trouble

Porcelain veneers are stain resistant and should not change in color.   If it seems like the veneers are getting darker, many times this is a sign the underlying tooth is darkening and other times the space between the veneer and natural tooth is open and perhaps the veneer margins are leaking yielding a darker veneer,  In both of these instances a new veneer(s) is needed to correct the discoloring and integrity of the veneer.

Whitening Venners

The only way to lighten your veneer shade would be to replace them.
I often discuss many cosmetic goals with my patients, including whitening options before moving forward with veneers. By asking the right questions and listening to answers, I often find patients are dissatisfied with the overall look of their smile. Taking many factors into consideration personality, face shape, and smile size; your cosmetic dentist can help provide you with a smile design tailored to you.  

Michael Fulbright, DDS
Redondo Beach Dentist

Whitening Veneers

It is not possible to whiten or change the colour of Porcelain veneers. You would have to get them replaced if you like them to be whiter.

Prashant Nanda, MDS
India Dentist

Darkening Veneers

If your veneers seem darker than when you first got them this could be from a multitude of issues. 

Firstly, have you been whitening the other teeth around them with any whitening products?  This can make them look darker when they really aren't getting darker. 
Secondly, the color change could be that the cement underneath could be darkening upon aging or that there are leaks under the veneers. 
Lastly, if these veneers are composite and not porcelain could definitely stain and discolor.

I would recommend new veneers if there is leakage or composite material breakdown.  Your local dentist should be able to evaluate this for you.

Porcelain Veneers may not be whitened

Porcelain veneers are not able to be whitened like natural teeth. The veneers remain the same color. To drastically change the color they may need to be replaced. If veneers begin to darken over time it often suggests that the veneer is leaking. This means there is a minor space between the veneer and tooth in which decay may begin to form indicating the veneer needs to be replaced.