How to Get Rid of Dark Purple and Raised Scar?

About 2 1/2 months ago, I grazed my leg but really badly, the wound was surprisingly deep. It healed after 2/3 weeks but I knocked it again and the new skin was peeled back. I now have an oval raised scar on my leg which is dark purple and very noticeable. How long will it take for it to turn white and will it stay risen? Is there anything I can put on it to help it heal? Creams? Laser? I heard there is a laser that helps stretch marks so surely there is one to help scars?

Scar treatments using vascular laser

+3

Natasha

Most fresh scars appear reddish in color as this is a sign of wound healing and new collagen production. Sometimes this healing can be excessive and a hypertrophic or keloid scar can develop. Without seeing a picture of your scar it would be difficult to comment on it. This type of excessive healing or scar formation doesn't begin before 6 weeks from your injury. Most likely you are healing normally. In the event that you are forming scar tissue, vascular lasers such as KTP or pulse dye are very helpful when the scar is still in its red stages. Once it matures and turns white, other lasers such as Fraxel work well to blend the scar with the surrounding skin.

Using mederma or silicone gel helps a fresh scar heal even faster lowering the risk for poor healing. You can begin this immediately if you are concerned. Consult with your plastic surgeon-dermatologist.

Good luck

Ran Rubinstein, MD

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Time heals all wounds

+2

Traumatic scars are very distressing for a number of reasons. The scar is a constant reminder of the act that caused them to begin with. The maturation process of a scar can be quite prolonged and there are very few things that can be done to expedite the process.

• Silicone gel sheeting has been shown to help prevent discoloration and hypertrophy of the scar.
  • Steroids injections can help with already hypertrophic scars.
  • Lasers (pulse dye, Fractional) can help with discoloration.

Time is what has proven to be most effective in the healing process and the older the scar, if it does not require revision, the better the scar will look.

Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Traumatic scars can take up to 18 months to heal

+2

While scars from trauma can take a long time to heal, there are measures you can do to improve their appearance. The most important thing to do is sun avoidance or wear sunscreen. Secondly, topical creams like mederma or silicone gels and sheeting can help. Thirdly, vascular laser treatments can help scars to mature quicker and often result in a better appearance by taking the darker color out of the scar. Finally, steroid injections can help their appearance as well. If all else fails, they can be surgically revised after about six months to a year.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Purple scarring

+1
Sorry to hear about your injury. The scar is new and in the worst part of the healing process. I would advice patience as a full thickness skin laceration will take a year to fully heal. It is important to avoid the sun during the healing process and to apply sunscreen liberally and often. Silicone gel sheeting or bleaching cream may ultimately be of value but I would caution against their use except at the direction of a boad certified plastic surgeon so that the correct modality is correctly employed.

Treatment for a purple raised scar

+1

On its own the scar will remain purple for 6 months to one year or more. It will usually flatten down but may not do so completely. The best and and least invasive treatment is with an Intense Pulse Light (a laser like device) or with a Pulse Dye Laser, either of which will improve the color and thickness in several treatments which have little or no down time.

Miami Dermatologist

Scars and wounds

+1

It is hard to tell what the scar will finally look like, but most usually fade over time turn red initially and then become white afterwards.