Is Breast Augmentation Through Tummy Tuck Incision Possible?

I had read of a procedure that allows a breast augmentation while doing a tummy tuck, using the tummy tuck incision rather than incising the breast. Is this a commonly used procedure? Would it be as accurate placement if it was done using this method?

Transabdominal breast augmentation

+3

Transabdominal breast augmentation or (TABA) is exactly what you described. While performing a tummy tuck, breast implants are placed through this incision in a precise manner to also perform a breast augmentation. Although, I am not the first person to do this, I have written this technique up in the plastic surgery journals and have presented it to other plastic surgeons at national meetings. It is for a limited number of patients. If the breasts sag significantly, it would be done in a more conventional way with a lift procedure.

Breast augmentation through a tummy tuck incision?

+2

Yes, a breast augmentation can be performed through a tummy tuck incision.  Although the same result can theoretically be achieved by doing so compared to an incision in the breast fold, areola, or arm pit, the amount of control that the surgeons has is potentially less.  

If my loved one asked which I would recommend for them I would say to perform the breast augmentation through a standard incision and get the best result possible with the lowest risk for complications or less-than-ideal result.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Breast Implants Through a Tummy Tuck Incision

+2

Placing breast implants through the tummy tuck incision is definitely possible, but not recommended.

It may sound like a good way to reduce incision scars, but the tradeoffs are not worth it.  It is harder to create the implant pockets with the precision breast augmentation deserves.  The results from this approach may increase the risk of poor implant motion, malposition, or asymmetry.

As plastic surgeons, we are always sensitive to minimizing scars, but not to the point of disproportionately compromising the outcome of the surgery.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover - with no visible breast scars

+2

You are asking for a Mommy Makeover with no visible breast scars.  Although it is done, I do not think it is a great operation.  Look at the patient in my video - her breast augmentation was via a periarolar incision.  Direct approaches (such as the infra-mammary approach or periareolar approach) give excellent visualization to allow for a lot of finesse in the result of the breast augmentation.  With the trans-abdominoplasty approach, either a small tunnel will be utilized (which limits what you can see), or a wide tunnel will be used.  Because the approach is from below, if a wide tunnel is used the surgeon runs the risk of loosing a well defined infra-mammary crease - something that we would prefer to avoid.  I view this operation somewhat the same at TUBA (trans umbilical breast augmentation) - a bit of a sales gimmick.  Do your research and form your own opinion.

Dr.B

Michael A. Bogdan, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation thru Abdominoplasty Incision

+2

Possible to do but not recommended. There are many creative ways to perform some of the plastic surgery that we do. But at times those creative ways are not always the best way of doing it and has compromises.

So, no it is not recommended. It is a compromise and not optimum. The periareolar incision heals so well and provides an accurate way to place the implant, why do it in a compromised way?

Hope that helps and gives you some insight.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Separation of breast and belly

+2

While the idea of a scarless breast augmentation is appealing, the reality is that techniques which compromise the inframammary fold, (where the breast meets the chest wall), which would need to be done in order to place the implants through the top aspect of the abdominoplasty flap are not freebies. Surgical manipulation of this area can result in "bottoming out" of the breast implant, where the breast slides off the chest into the upper abdomen. Most of the other consultants agree that it is preferable to use another approach. Good luck.

Lavinia Chong, MD

Breast augmentation through a tummy tuck is not recommended

+2

Breast augmentation through an abdominal approach is a fairly old procedure which was also called a TUBA or a trans-umbilical breast augmentation. The advantage was a scar off the breast though we seldom hear much about the technique any longer. The technique required special instruments and was 'blind' in that it was difficult to control the implant placement, and submuscular augmentation was quite difficult. The procedure applied to saline implants inflated in place. Augmentation through an abdominoplasty incision is possible though there seems again to be little interest in the procedure and added risk of a poorly positioned implant, or adding to what would extend beyond the more conservative and safe tummy tuck procedures practiced today. Keep in mind as well that as your breast implants wear they will be in need of replacement and any of the other three choices, inframammary, periareolar, or transaxillary is a better approach.

peterejohnsonmd

Yes But...

+2

Breast augmentation done at the same time as an abdominoplasty using implants is not a new procedure , it would be similar to the dissection of a Tram flap breast reconstruction however without the view from above. It would be harder to get homeostasis and bleeding is more difficult to detect since the breast pocket is in continuity with the abdominal cavity there is a large dead space that can fill up with blood. I know of at least one death from this technique when done by a board certified Plastic Surgeon. I would not recommend it.

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants through a tummy tuck incision

+2

Placing breast implants through a tummy tuck incision is possible and the results can be quite impressive in experienced hands. This can be a good option if you are having a tummy tuck and desire "scarless" breast implants and I have incorporated it into my practice. I agree with the previous posters that it is technically more a more difficult than placing the implants through traditional incisions. As always, speak to a board certified plastic surgeon about this if you are interested. Because it is not a common procedure, you may not find someone experienced in this technique in you immediate area, so be prepared to travel if this is something you desire.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Possible, but not popular

+2

Joderbug,

It is certainly to place breast implants through an abdominoplasty. Speak to your plastic surgeon regarding this option. The concerns are violating the breast crease to place the implants and working from a more distant site than the breast itself. This might lead to less control in the positioning of the implants. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD