Should All Jewelry Be Removed for Breast Surgery?

I have heard that all jewelry, including belly button rings, need to be removed for breast surgery. Is this true? I would rather not have to remove my belly button ring because im worried about it closing up. I have had it for about a year now. If this is true, could I remove it right before surgery and then have it put back in by maybe a nurse or someone right when I wake up after surgery? Thanks!

Removing jewelry and piecings prior to cosmetic plastic surgery

+1

Yes, all jewelry should be removed. We have replaced the jewelry or piercings after completion of surgery but we strongly encourage patients to obtain spacers or non metallic temporary devices.

Jewelry and Surgery

+1

We recommend removing all metal before surgery for the fear of having it conduct and resulting in a burn.  You can have it removed right before surgery and have it replaced just when the surgery is done, even before you wake up.

It should not be an issue.

Good luck with your surgery.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Belly button rings and surgery

+1

In my practice, we place a sterile dressing over a belly button ring covering it up and keeping it out of the sterile operative field.  We don't take them out in this instance but would if it were a tummy tuck for example.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Jewelry and surgery

+1

Jewelry should be removed before surgery beacuse it can conduct heat from the devices used to cauterize bleeding tissue.  It may leave a burn where the jewelry is, if the jewelry is left in place.

Should jewelry be removed prior to surgery

+1

In general, all metal jewelry should be removed prior to any surgery which uses electrocautery, including breast surgery. There is always a risk of a burn if jewelry is not removed. A piercing that is 12 months old will generally not close up if left out for an hour or two. Alternately, some OR nurses are comfortable with taping a piece of jewelry with the caveat that there is always a small chance of a burn at the site of the piercing. My advice would be to simply remove the piercing.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Jewelry and surgery

+1

Because jewelry is usually made from a metal, it is conductive. Breast surgery requires an electrical cautery unit to control bleeding during the course of the procedure. There is a possibility that any jewelry will conduct an electrical charge and burn the area surrounding it.

Be safe and remove the navel ring. The hole will not close so readily, and you most likely have 2 or 3 days to reinsert it.

Ricardo Izquierdo, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon