Age 60. Am I Too Old for a Tummy Tuck?

I'm Going to Be 60 This Year. I Am 54" Weigh 133 Lbs, Never Really Fat. Am I too old to have a tummy tuck? I have all my fat around my mid section, it's soft and my skin is stretched from pregnancy. I am in good health. I had a face lift a year ago, 10 hour surgery and do well with anesthesia.

Too old for surgery?

+2

Yes, you may be an ideal candidate for abdominoplasty surgery.  You should be seen by your primary care doctor for preoperative medical workup.  Make sure you are working with a well experienced board certified plastic surgeon. I prefer working with board certified anesthesiologists.

Best Wishes.

Tummy tuck possible in healthy 60-year-old with no medical contraindication

+1

Thank you for your question. As long as you have medical clearance by her primary care physician, or not a smoker and have no problems with circulation you most likely can have a tummy tuck. Your history of recovery from a 10 are facelift suggests that you are in very good shape.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Is 60 Too Old for a Tummy Tuck?

+1

I have done tummy tucks on women into their early 70's with excellent results and without complications.  Haven't you heard, 60 is the new 30? 

Your chronological age is less important than your health with reference to having an abdominoplasty surgery.  If you don't smoke, your heart, lungs and kidney are in good shape, and you have been cleared for surgery by your primary physician, then I would say you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck. 

The only downside to being 60 and having a tummy tuck is that your recovery will take longer than younger people having the same surgery.  In my practice, I have had 20 year olds being able to go back to work 5 days after a tummy tuck.  Most people over 60 take several weeks to a month before they feel they are back to their normal self.  That being said, 60 is not too old and if your Board Certified plastic surgeon says you would be advantaged by a tummy tuck, then I would definitely go for it.

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Yes

+1

You sound fine and in good health and not overweight. Your health must be good and I assume you are a non smoker so by all means you are an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck. By the way ten hours is way too long to be in an operating. Find a quicker surgeon. The tummy tuck should take about two hours.

Richard Linderman, MD

Age limit for a tummy tuck?

+1

I have had several patients in their 60's that have had a tummy tuck and have done very well. Most importantly is the health of the patient prior to surgery. You seem to be a good candidate, however you need to be evaluated by your surgeon to be sure it would be safe for you. The website link below shows the before and after results of one of my patients that had a tummy tuck at age 62. There are more photos on my website. I wish you best of luck.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Age and tummy tuck

+1

Age alone is not an predictor of how you will do with abdominal contouring/tummy tuck surgery. Your board certified plastic surgeon needs to review your medical history and overall health status to determine if you are medically a good candidate for elective surgery. In addition, your surgeon may request medicine clearance (an evaluation by your PCP or internist before surgery). Best of luck.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Not too old for a tummy tuck

+1

Based on your height, weight, and prior satisfactory (and safe) experience with anesthesia, I see no contraindication to your undergoing an abdominoplasty, assuming a board-certified plastic surgeon determines you are a candidate for that procedure. Age is only one factor in determining appropriateness and candidacy for procedures. The surgeon needs to tell you if abdominplasty is the right operation for your aesthetic goals. Obviously, you would need to thoroughly disclose all medical conditions, medications, allergies, prior reactions to anesthesia, family history of anesthesia complications, prior surgeries, etc. as part of a comprehensive consultation. But your age alone should not exclude you.

Tim A. Sayed, MD, FACS
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon