Are 360 Cc's Going to Be Big Enough?

I have my BA scheduled for Wed the 22nd. I am 5'2 120 lbs and currently a small 34b cup. I choose to go with 360cc's instead of 390cc's but am afraid of ending up too small. I want to be a full C. I am going with gels under the muscle and have read that you can loose a lot of valume by going under the muscle. Everyones results vary so much, I know 40cc's may not make a huge difference and it might be too late to change my mind as I already went to my pre op appt.

Implant Selection Process

+1

You can expect a 360cc implant to put you in a full C/small D range and the 390 cc to put you in a D range.   In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Changing sizes from a B to a C

+1

If your chest is a 34 then each 200 cc is 1 bra size change.  You said that you are happy with 360 cc and questioning whether you should use 390 cc.  The difference of only 30 cc's is 1/7th of a bra size change and would not be noticeable.  If you are a B cup then either implant size will make you at least a full C or probably a D.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Choosing implant size for your augmentation

+1

Having done a lot of breast augmentations, I would recommend going with the larger size.  Most women are happy they chose the larger size after their augmentations. 

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

IMPLANT SIZE

+1

This is a common question on RealSelf.  It is difficult for a surgeon to comment without photos and measurements.  If you have uncertainty about the size you have selected, I would contact your surgeon and try on the different sizes you are considering.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

There is not a lot of difference between a 390cc and 360cc implant. 7.7% difference to be precise.

+1

It is difficult to say without knowing your base width diameter but judging only from your height and weight, 390cc is more likely to be a D than a full C.  If by full C, you really mean a D, then go with the 390cc.  Best wishes and good luck.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Should be fine.

+1

Generally speaking, and certainly in someone of your build, about 200-250 ml will result in a one cup size increase.  You are trying to go up about 1 1/2 cup sizes, which would take an implant about 300-375 ml in size.  So, I think you are the right range.  Under the muscle placement may result in a slightly smaller look in the short term, until the muscle accomodates to the implant; but long term implant location will have no significant effect.  I think the choices you and your surgeon made should turn out just fine.  Good luck.

Robert Stroup, Jr., MD, FACS
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Choice of implant size

+1

Given your frame and current bra size, I think you are safe.  Without seeing you and doing a full exam, this is difficult for me to know.  But, in general, a 360cc implant in someone as petite as you will definitely give you more than s standard cup size regardless of the implant pocket placement.  Good luck with the surgery!

Jennifer Lauren Crawford, MD

Breast Implant Sizing?

+1

Every plastic surgeon has a different method of selecting breast implants;  in my practice, you would not be responsible for making this decision.

What you would be responsible for would be careful communication ( verbal and with the help of goal pictures) to show me what your  specific goals are.

I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.

Although potentially helpful, I do not think that the use of pre-operative sizers and/or “rice test”  is a precise enough way to communicate goals.  As you can imagine, a breast implant size or placed on the chest wall will not necessarily create the same look as the same size placed on the rib cage ( below the pectoralis muscle).

In your case, why not  communicative  your goals clearly and allow your plastic surgeon to make the decision between the two sizes of breast implants INTRAOPERATIVELY? 

360cc vs. 390cc ? That is the question.

+1

30cc is 2 tablespoons. Do you really think you can see that tiny of a volume change (larger OR smaller) over the entire breast? I think the smallest visible volume that a skilled discerning eye can differentiate is 60cc, maybe 100cc for a casual observer (most non plastic surgeons). You will not be able to see the difference between these two sizes!

If you are concerned about being "too small" then choose the 390cc. Realize that you do NOT "lose volume" by going under the muscle, you simply need 50-100cc more volume to equal the look you have with that size implant in a bra or stretchy top while sizing. Any surgeon who has his or her patients "size" in a bra has learned that if a patient chooses a 250cc implant as "looking great" in a bra, putting a 250cc implant under the muscle will end up with a patient either convinced that you "put in the wrong size" or wondering how the 250cc she liked in a bra now looks so much smaller in her body! If a patient likes a 700cc implant in a bra, she needs an 800cc implant under her muscle (anatomy permitting) to give her the look she wants. Every surgeon learns this the hard way, or they continue to have unhappy and too-small patients. Honest!

I'm most concerned that you think it might be "too late" to change your mind. Did your surgeon only order one exact size of implants chosen? What if one is damaged or dropped on the floor? This really concerns me. In our office surgical facility we stock every implant (saline AND silicone) in every size and profile, with multiples of the most commonly-used sizes. We don't have to worry about having the "right ones" available, even if the patient or I decide differently! Is your surgeon an ABPS-certified plastic surgeon? Does he or she do enough breast surgery so that they have all sizes available (if done in the doctor's facility)? Is the facility AAAASF-accredited? If your surgery is done at the hospital or outpatient surgical facility run by a hospital or medical group, why do they not have an entire inventory of all-sizes-available implants?

These are much more serious questions for which I hope you have proper answers. If you do, great! Choose the 390s. Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon