Are 360 Cc's Going to Be Big Enough?

I have my BA scheduled for Wed the 22nd. I am 5'2 120 lbs and currently a small 34b cup. I choose to go with 360cc's instead of 390cc's but am afraid of ending up too small. I want to be a full C. I am going with gels under the muscle and have read that you can loose a lot of valume by going under the muscle. Everyones results vary so much, I know 40cc's may not make a huge difference and it might be too late to change my mind as I already went to my pre op appt.

360 cc breast implants to go from from B to C cup

+1
For your stated objective, 360cc breast implants to go from B to C cup is a reasonable recommendation for you. Your surgeon is the best to guide you as he or she knows the scope of the surgery and the specifics about you.

There is a no direct correlation between implant size and cup size as cup size is an inexact and unreliable measurement that varies among bra companies and even in the same company. Moreover, it can be skewed by those who do the measurement.

The size of the implants are based on a combination of a patient's goals and objectives and her anatomy. In order to provide a natural looking augmentation, the surgeon needs to evaluate many factors including soft tissue coverage, skin laxity, chest wall width, breast imprint width, the shape of the breasts and relative level of constriction to ensure that the breast implants are appropriate for your body.

Are 360cc's going to be big enough?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question. In general, implant size does not correlate with bra cup size. The cup size itself will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer as well as who is doing the actual measurements. Thus, cup size is never a reliable indicator for your breast size. I typically encourage my patients not to communicate her desires in cup size but more on the actual look and appearance. Given your desires, a breast augmentation, with an implant or fat grafting, would be an ideal procedure that would meet your expectations. Breast augmentation is now the most popular procedure performed in plastic surgery today. One tolerated very well by women with minimal downtime and high patient satisfaction.

Good communication between you and your surgeon of your expectations is warranted - choosing your surgeon wisely is the first step. Discussion of your wishes and having an honest and open dialog of your procedure is mandatory (e.g, implant type, incision, placement, etc). Your height, weight, breast width, and body habitus will make a difference for which implant style/projection to choose. Implant profile will also make a difference on the projection, which will influence overall breast/cup size. I have found that photographs brought by the patient is helpful to get a visualization of the appearance you wish for in terms of size, shape, fullness, etc. In addition, your surgeon's pre and postoperative photographs should demonstrate a realistic goal for you of results. Sizers are helpful during an in-office consultation. Once this has been accomplished, allow your surgeon to utilize his/her best medical judgment during the procedure to finesse the best possible result for you after preoperative biodimensional planning and fitting the right implant for your breast width. This is the most important determinant for the sizing of implants, which will provide the optimal result and most aesthetically-pleasing result for you.

Consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon well-versed in breast procedures who will examine and discuss with you the various options and factors to consider and help you decide which one will be the right one for you. Hope me that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Implant Selection Process

+1

You can expect a 360cc implant to put you in a full C/small D range and the 390 cc to put you in a D range.   In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Changing sizes from a B to a C

+1

If your chest is a 34 then each 200 cc is 1 bra size change.  You said that you are happy with 360 cc and questioning whether you should use 390 cc.  The difference of only 30 cc's is 1/7th of a bra size change and would not be noticeable.  If you are a B cup then either implant size will make you at least a full C or probably a D.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Choosing implant size for your augmentation

+1

Having done a lot of breast augmentations, I would recommend going with the larger size.  Most women are happy they chose the larger size after their augmentations. 

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

IMPLANT SIZE

+1

This is a common question on RealSelf.  It is difficult for a surgeon to comment without photos and measurements.  If you have uncertainty about the size you have selected, I would contact your surgeon and try on the different sizes you are considering.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

There is not a lot of difference between a 390cc and 360cc implant. 7.7% difference to be precise.

+1

It is difficult to say without knowing your base width diameter but judging only from your height and weight, 390cc is more likely to be a D than a full C.  If by full C, you really mean a D, then go with the 390cc.  Best wishes and good luck.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Should be fine.

+1

Generally speaking, and certainly in someone of your build, about 200-250 ml will result in a one cup size increase.  You are trying to go up about 1 1/2 cup sizes, which would take an implant about 300-375 ml in size.  So, I think you are the right range.  Under the muscle placement may result in a slightly smaller look in the short term, until the muscle accomodates to the implant; but long term implant location will have no significant effect.  I think the choices you and your surgeon made should turn out just fine.  Good luck.

Robert Stroup, Jr., MD, FACS
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Choice of implant size

+1

Given your frame and current bra size, I think you are safe.  Without seeing you and doing a full exam, this is difficult for me to know.  But, in general, a 360cc implant in someone as petite as you will definitely give you more than s standard cup size regardless of the implant pocket placement.  Good luck with the surgery!

Jennifer Lauren Crawford, MD

Breast Implant Sizing?

+1

Every plastic surgeon has a different method of selecting breast implants;  in my practice, you would not be responsible for making this decision.

What you would be responsible for would be careful communication ( verbal and with the help of goal pictures) to show me what your  specific goals are.

I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.

Although potentially helpful, I do not think that the use of pre-operative sizers and/or “rice test”  is a precise enough way to communicate goals.  As you can imagine, a breast implant size or placed on the chest wall will not necessarily create the same look as the same size placed on the rib cage ( below the pectoralis muscle).

In your case, why not  communicative  your goals clearly and allow your plastic surgeon to make the decision between the two sizes of breast implants INTRAOPERATIVELY?