Is 18 Too Young for a Breast Augmentation Consultation?

I have wanted implants ever since my breasts stopped growing in my early teens. I have looked at many before and after photos and I believe I may have hypomastia. I have recently turned 18 and believe I am ready for this surgery. My parent is supportive of whatever decision I make but as I will be the one paying for this surgery it is ultimately my choice. I have the money and ability to do this now. My question is are doctors hesitant to discuss/perform breast augmentation on someone my age?

Breast implants at age 18

+2

At 18 you are old enough to make important decisions such as having breast implants. Having your parent's consent is very important. You should use the Internet to fully familiarize yourself with the various aspects of implants, such as risks, (encapsulation, infection, distortion), incision sites, placement of the implants in front of or behind the muscle.

Until you are 22 you will have access only to saline implants, but this is not a deterrent in my opinion, unless you have virtually no breast tissue. If this is the case, the saline implants may cause visible wrinkles, which is unattractive. In such a case, the implants will have to be placed under the pectorals muscle, but wrinkles still may be visible. Many surgeons prefer the sub-pectoral position for the implant anyway. These are all things you must consider when making this very important decision.

One bit of additional advice -- be conservative with the size. This will reduce the deformity if there is a complication, and you will be much more comfortable. The prettiest breast are rarely the largest. And finally, find s plastic surgeon who listens to what you want. Best of luck.

Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation at 18.

+1

At 18, you are certainly old enough to discuss breast augmentation with a plastic surgeon. Having a thorough understanding of your options, the surgery, and the expectations from surgery will help you to make a decision as to whether or not this is the right operation for you. I recommend seeing at least two Board Certified Plastic Surgeons prior to making this decision. It is important to know that at 18 you are limited in which implants you can have. The FDA advises that silicone gel implants only be used in patients 22 years or older. This may be an important factor in your decision.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

A 18 year-old is not too young for breast augmentation.

+1

Yes, you can get breast augmentation at 18 y/o.  As long as you are well informed about procedure, alternatives, possible risks/benefits/complication, you can undergo breast augmentation.  Breast augmentation is a very safe surgery when done for right candidate.  I would encourage you to go for consultation with board-certified plastic surgeon. 

Sugene Kim, MD

Breast Augmentation at 18

+1

Hi Relle, that is a great question. Being 18 is not too young to have a breast augmentation consultation. The key is to make an informed choice about your body.  For many women in your same position, breast augmentation can help to achieve the size and look you are hoping for. A consultation is a great learning experience for you to see if you are an appropriate candidate for breast augmentation. I would highly recommend that you have at least 2 consultations with Board Certified Plastic Surgeon which will give you the opportunity to be well informed in making this decision. Make sure to ask many questions so you feel comfortable with the doctor you ultimately choose. Best of luck!

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

Too young for breast consultation?

+1

At 18 you are certainly not too young to talk with a board certified plastic surgeon. Whether surgery is right for you now or not is another question. You and your surgeon are the ones who will make the final decision and it would be good to include your parent in the decision making process as well. You should feel comfortable with the surgeon you choose (it may take consultations with several to find the right one for you) and be able to discuss your concerns easily with him or her. Good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants for 18 year old woman

+1
  Breast augmentation can be safely performed in an 18 year old woman, PROVIDED that certain criteria are met.  In my practice in theses type of cases we obtained a detailed developmental history, then we assess the patient for emotional maturity as well as for family/social support. The surgical part of this equation is identical to any other patient requesting breast implants, other than only saline implants can be used for some one younger that 22.  Careful assessment of your anatomy and your expectations will dictate the appropriate size and style of implants, as well as specific surgical approach.

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation at 18

+1

Thank you for your question.  No, 18 is not too young for a consultation.  You can take the attitude that the consultation is an information gathering appointment for you to have all of your questions answered and have an opportunity to learn about the risks, benefits, and possible long term effects of breast implant surgery.

Be thorough and ask a lot of questions.  I also recommend you have at least 2 or 3 consultations with board-certified plastic surgeons as this will give you the opportunity to be well-informed.

Note: The FDA has not cleared silicone gel breast implants for use in women under the age of 22.

If after a thorough look at the medical risks, you want to undergo breast augmentation, it is well within your right to do so.  Depending on the supportive relationship you have with your parent(s), you may want to include them in the process and/or the consultations.

Best of luck.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Can I Get A Breast Augmentation At 18 Years Old?

+1

Dear Relle,

If your breasts have matured and you are not expecting any further development, you can seek consultation for breast enlargement. Make sure your doctor is board certified and has experience in performing this procedure. While it is not necessary, having a parent (most likely your mom) present for the consult is generally a good idea. Your mom may have questions and insights that may help you in your decision making process. Good luck.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation at Age 18 is Fine

+1

Hi there-

There should not be any reason that a seemingly well-adjusted 18 year old like yourself could not safely and comfortable pursue a breast augmentation.

Make sure you only put yourself in the hands of a surgeon Certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery. 

Good luck!

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation at 18

+1

As long as you are of adult size and nol onger growing, it seems reasonable to go for a consult to consider implants if you are a candidate.  This is a decision that shoudl not be taken lightly.  Go to a board certified plastic surgeon. Remember at 18 only saline implants are available to you.