Will I Grow into my Nose?

hi, I'm Korean & 13 years old. My nose has bump on it. i didn't have a bump when i was younger, but over the years i got one. Will i just grow into my nose, or will it go away at all? My whole family has a flat straight nose, and i was just wondering why i have it. Am i too young for rhinoplasty?

By age 17, a rhinoplasty is appropriate because your face is not going to change much.

+1

Hi Shleee;

By the time males are age 17, they generally have the face they are going to have.  If you are concerned about having a rhinoplasty prematurely, you should wait.  Right now, it looks like you have a pretty decent nose, but I see you are worried about its fate because of family history.

Best advice is do not do anything.  Keep an eye on your nose for a couple of years.  I suspect you are not going to be visiting a doctor for rhinoplasty

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Facial Plastic Surgeon
Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON
Author, THE ESSENTIAL COSMETIC SURGERY COMPANION

Web reference: http://www.rhinoplastyspecialistblog.com/nose-jobs-for-teens-summer-is-the-time

Too Young for Rhinoplasty

+1

You will continue to develop over the next few years, so in a sense, you may "grow into your nose" or find that it is very compatible with your face.  Age 13 is really too young for an elective cosmetic rhinoplasty, so I would give yourself several more years.  Your thoughts can change over time, so enjoy being your age for now.  If you find that it still bothers you when you are 16, then obtaining a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or several surgeons may be worthwhile.  Don't rush it for now.  Take your time, enjoy life, and you will make the right decision when the time is right.  Best wishes.

Michael Vincent, MD, FACS

Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Growing into my Nose

+1

At age 13 your nose will probably change as you grow and physically mature. It is unlikely the bump will go away, but time will tell. Wait until you are 15-16 years old before considering a rhinoplasty, with the advice and help of your parients. You ask why you have the bump - there are many different physical characteristics in one family.

Rhinoplasty at 13.

+1
It is too early and you may grow into it. By 15 you should have your answer and can have a rhinoplasty if needed.

Thinking about a rhinoplasty at 13: too young

+1

At 13 you are still too young to consider a rhinoplasty. Your face and nose may continue to change over the next few years. My recommendation would be to wait until at least age 16 at which point if the issue that you are concerned about is still present, then maybe you (along with your parent(s)) can seek a consultation from a board certified plastic surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.turkeltaub.com

Best Treatment for Profile Bump on Nose in 13 Year Old

+1

Hi S,

Please enjoy you childhood without worrying about the bump on your nose.  In the next few years you may just "grow into your nose".  If it still bothers you in a few years, then you may consider rhinoplasty only after multiple consultations and choosing your rhinoplasty surgeon most carefully.  Until then enjoy being 13.  You are too young for rhinoplasty at this time.  Once a teenager has stopped growing is the earliest age to consider rhinoplasty.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Nasal growth and age

+1

It is not uncommon to develop a bit of a bump on the nose during the growth process even if it is not the result of trauma. However, the rest of your nose continues to grow until about the age of 15 in females. At that time it may be in proportion to the rest of your face and no longer a concern to you. However, if it still concerns you and your parents are amenable, you can have a rhinoplasty to correct that at that time or wait until you are an adult and on  your own.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will I grow into my nose...what about my bump?

+1

At 13 you are too young to have a rhinoplasty.  There are several reasons.  Your facial skeleton has not completed its growth.  Your nose has a bump that will likely persist, however, your jaw and facail skeleton will change and grow through the rest of puberty.  You may decide as you are more mature that your nose suits your face.  If not, a rhinoplasty would correct the bump and should be considered when you are 16 or older.  Good luck. 

Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

One Does Not Grow Out Of A Hump On The Nose

+1

Nobody physically grows into their nose. The nose and the rest of the face will grow proportionately as you mature but the shape of your nose will not change with time. People do psychologically adapt to their nose so what may bother you now at age 13 may be less important to you in the years ahead. If not, then you can consider rhinoplasty to remove the hump when you are age 15 or 16.

Web reference: http://www.eppleyrhinoplasty.com/

Will the hump on my nose go away without surgery?

+1

No. The hump on your nose is over growth of nasal bone and cartilages. You will need rhinoplasty when you are at least 16 years old.

Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon