Can Massage Improve the Shape of the Nose?

I have done nose job two times. My nose is upturned and my nostrils are big.Can i improve the shape with massage

Massage and Rhinoplasty

+1

Massage will not improve the shape of your nose. One needs to have operative intervention to improve the shape of the nose.

Massage after rhinoplasty

+1

You dont state how far out are you from the last surgerey. In general, gentle pressure right after the surgery may influence minor change in the bony structure. It will not alter the shape of your nostrils or the upturned nose. You need to wait one year from your last surgery then reevaluate with an experienced revision surgeon.

Andrew Pichler, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Massage to Improve Nasal Shape

+1

Massage will not improve the nasal shape - thhis must be accomplished during surgery. Although I don't agree, some surgeons believe this will  decrease swelling. Unfortunately, if your not satsfied you will need to have a revision.

Can I massage my nose into the shape I want?

+1

In the early postoperative period gentle pressure, not massage,  can sometimes provide minor changes to the nose, particularly the nasal bony skeleton as it heals.  However once the nose has healed, there is nothig that wiill  appreciably alter the nasal appearance.  Occasionally I will use small amounts of a steroid to alter the shape but unfortunately this will require a revision if it is a significant issue.  Good luck

Gregory Branham, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Massage after rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Aron,

Massage after rhinoplasty may help with swelling during the early post operative period, but unlikely to help with  shape change months or years after surgery. 

The only time massage may help with nose shape is during early infancy when the cartilage is still very immature and the mother's estrogen is still present with in the baby's system.

k. Jacob Cohen-Kashi, New York Plastic Surgeon

Kambiz Jacob Cohen-Kashi, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Massage of nose

+1

Massaging the nose may help with swelling but it will not help with the shape of the nose. You certainly should avoid pushing too much on the nose for the first several weeks after surgery.

Revision Rhinoplasty and Massage

+1

I think that after two rhinoplasties, that it is unlikely that massage will make a difference.  Early on, some gentle massage may help desensitize the area but I doubt it will change the shape of your nose.

Jeff Scott, MD
Everett Plastic Surgeon

+1

Only 2 out of 11 posters recommend nasal massage to change shape. In my opinion only aid of massage is to eliminate edema not shape shifting. If still unhappy you need to find an expert rhinoplasty surgeon. From MIAMI

Massage of the nose

+1

Dear Anon,

Don't waste your time.  Massage will do nothing for your nose and may even be harmful.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Massage after rhinoplasty

+1

I personally am a firm believer in massage and taping after rhinoplasty. This can help to lessen the recurrence of a bump as in taping and also to encourage a straighter profile with massaging. It may help some with a tip that is pulled up too much especially if done shortly after surgery to help encourage some dropping of the tip. However, the results are often subtle and only help with small problem areas. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon