27 Years Old, Want Smaller, Straighter Nose - Washington, DC

I have been reading a lot of reviews on Realself...

I have been reading a lot of reviews on Realself and wanted to share my own experience to hopefully help others and maybe get feedback from others in my area who have had rhinoplasties. I am undecided on my surgeon but am heavily leaning towards one in particular. If the consultation goes well, I will definitely be going with him because his office is close to where I live and he is very experienced. I have 40 more days until my consultation and then it is 4 to 6 weeks until the surgery.

I am nervous about complications from scar tissue. I had a lot of excess scar tissue after I had surgery on my hand two years ago, but I'm trying to stay optimistic because I really need a nose job. I have been told that it is unlikely that I will develop as much scar tissue in my nose as I did in my hand. I am also concerned about developing breathing problems as my nasal breathing is generally good aside from occasional nighttime stuffiness.

My nose was normal when I was a kid but got a lot bigger around middle school. I have never had severe trauma, but I have been hit in the nose multiple times, including about 4 years ago when I whacked the right side of it on the corner of a wall. Though my nose didn't bleed from that incident, it really hurt and was sore for about a week afterwards, so I think that may have caused some of the crookedness. The bridge of my nose is not straight and is higher on the left side but the right side of my tip is larger than my left. The nose generally seems to be leaning slightly to the left. The biggest problem is that my nose is overprojected and very long and pointy. I have a small, narrow face and genetic hollows under my eyes (thanks, mom). I'm also planning on getting filler injections for the hollows at my consultation in 40 days but will write another review on that.

The main reason I want a rhinoplasty is to help with my self-confidence. I had some comments about the size of my nose when I was in school but was never really bullied for it. However, I feel like my nose has actually started to look bigger over the last year or so. I think the tip has dropped slightly and it is making the nose look longer. I also think I have lost a little volume in my face so my nose is more prominent. I will add just a couple pictures now but will definitely add more later in the process.

Reality check - consultation

So I went to my rhinoplasty consultation yesterday and it gave me a dose of reality. I loved the digital edits that my surgeon made to my pictures. I'll attach the side profile. It really just looked like an improved version of me. My husband said that he thought I would look way different but it is just a some small tweaks to make my nose more symmetrical and in better proportion with my face.

That being said, the surgeon said that the surgery is actually pretty extensive. He called it a major rhinoplasty and said the surgery would probably take 2.5 hours in my case because my cartilage needs to be completely restructured. And it will have to be an open rhinoplasty because my tip will be completely redone.

The surgeon's fee alone is $8,000 plus a $500 anesthesia and $700 facility fee. The only good news as far as the price is that I DO have a deviated septum so correcting that might be covered by my insurance.

I'm torn about whether to schedule the surgery because $9,200 is a lot of money for small, albeit fantastic, changes. I haven't really saved up a lot of money because I have really only been serious about getting the rhinoplasty for about six months. I initially though I would finance it in part. I could realistically pay $4,000 right now up front and pay the rest of over a year so that I don't get charged interest, but I guess the responsible thing would be to maybe wait a year and try to save some more money. I don't want to have to make huge monthly payments. Major disappointment.

I really felt like the surgeon knew what he was talking about. He said that the asymmetry in my nose is genetic and is more obvious than some other peoples' because I have very thin skin. I was going to get tear trough injections at my appointment but he said what i need is to build up the volume in my mid-face area. So I'll probably be getting Voluma injections in the next few months. But at $900 a syringe, that's a tough pill to swallow on top of the high rhinoplasty cost. I was told I would need two to three. Does anyone have any tips for saving money for a rhinoplasty or other cosmetic procedures?