28 Years Old, Want Smaller, Straighter Nose - Washington, DC

I have been reading a lot of reviews on Realself...

I have been reading a lot of reviews on Realself and wanted to share my own experience to hopefully help others and maybe get feedback from others in my area who have had rhinoplasties. I am undecided on my surgeon but am heavily leaning towards one in particular. If the consultation goes well, I will definitely be going with him because his office is close to where I live and he is very experienced. I have 40 more days until my consultation and then it is 4 to 6 weeks until the surgery.

I am nervous about complications from scar tissue. I had a lot of excess scar tissue after I had surgery on my hand two years ago, but I'm trying to stay optimistic because I really need a nose job. I have been told that it is unlikely that I will develop as much scar tissue in my nose as I did in my hand. I am also concerned about developing breathing problems as my nasal breathing is generally good aside from occasional nighttime stuffiness.

My nose was normal when I was a kid but got a lot bigger around middle school. I have never had severe trauma, but I have been hit in the nose multiple times, including about 4 years ago when I whacked the right side of it on the corner of a wall. Though my nose didn't bleed from that incident, it really hurt and was sore for about a week afterwards, so I think that may have caused some of the crookedness. The bridge of my nose is not straight and is higher on the left side but the right side of my tip is larger than my left. The nose generally seems to be leaning slightly to the left. The biggest problem is that my nose is overprojected and very long and pointy. I have a small, narrow face and genetic hollows under my eyes (thanks, mom). I'm also planning on getting filler injections for the hollows at my consultation in 40 days but will write another review on that.

The main reason I want a rhinoplasty is to help with my self-confidence. I had some comments about the size of my nose when I was in school but was never really bullied for it. However, I feel like my nose has actually started to look bigger over the last year or so. I think the tip has dropped slightly and it is making the nose look longer. I also think I have lost a little volume in my face so my nose is more prominent. I will add just a couple pictures now but will definitely add more later in the process.

Reality check - consultation

So I went to my rhinoplasty consultation yesterday and it gave me a dose of reality. I loved the digital edits that my surgeon made to my pictures. I'll attach the side profile. It really just looked like an improved version of me. My husband said that he thought I would look way different but it is just a some small tweaks to make my nose more symmetrical and in better proportion with my face.

That being said, the surgeon said that the surgery is actually pretty extensive. He called it a major rhinoplasty and said the surgery would probably take 2.5 hours in my case because my cartilage needs to be completely restructured. And it will have to be an open rhinoplasty because my tip will be completely redone.

The surgeon's fee alone is $8,000 plus a $500 anesthesia and $700 facility fee. The only good news as far as the price is that I DO have a deviated septum so correcting that might be covered by my insurance.

I'm torn about whether to schedule the surgery because $9,200 is a lot of money for small, albeit fantastic, changes. I haven't really saved up a lot of money because I have really only been serious about getting the rhinoplasty for about six months. I initially though I would finance it in part. I could realistically pay $4,000 right now up front and pay the rest of over a year so that I don't get charged interest, but I guess the responsible thing would be to maybe wait a year and try to save some more money. I don't want to have to make huge monthly payments. Major disappointment.

I really felt like the surgeon knew what he was talking about. He said that the asymmetry in my nose is genetic and is more obvious than some other peoples' because I have very thin skin. I was going to get tear trough injections at my appointment but he said what i need is to build up the volume in my mid-face area. So I'll probably be getting Voluma injections in the next few months. But at $900 a syringe, that's a tough pill to swallow on top of the high rhinoplasty cost. I was told I would need two to three. Does anyone have any tips for saving money for a rhinoplasty or other cosmetic procedures?

3 consultations down...

I can see why people say it's so important to get multiple opinions on rhinoplasty surgeries now! I got really different feedback from the three surgeons I consulted with. I think I have decided on Mark Rubinstein in Fairfax, VA. He is an ENT. I felt the most comfortable with him. His morphs of my nose were absolutely perfect and actually exceeded my expectations. I will probably meet with him one more time before I book the surgery... plus I need to save a little more money since he is also the most expensive surgeon I consulted with at $9800 and he doesn't accept financing. The only thing I'm not sure about is a few of the "after" photos of other patients that he showed me didn't look too good but I think maybe they were still swollen. He said that they were taken two months after surgery. The before and afters on his website were really good though.

I also had a consultation with Shervin Naderi, who I am not going to go with. He was also expensive but I didn't like that he said my nose might look wider after the surgery. That kind of defeated the purpose of the procedure for me.

The cheapest consultation I had was with George Weston at $7600. He is a general plastic surgeon. He seemed to think that my surgery would be easy and he does have a good bit of experience with nose jobs. I did the morphs with a consultant and not with him, which I didn't really like. I definitely would have preferred to do that with Dr. Weston himself, though he did agree with me on the changes I wanted to my nose when we were talking. I could do another free consultation with him so I might do that just to be sure.

This surgery is definitely happening this year, though, and I don't want to see any other surgeons. I swear I have checked out the website of every plastic surgeon in the D.C. area and there are very, very few that check off all my boxes.

4th Consultation on 5/24/17

After consultations with three other surgeons, I think I have already decided that I am going to go with Jonathan Pontell in Media, PA for my rhinoplasty. I already had a phone consultation with him and I liked everything he had to say. I just want to meet him in person to do imaging but I think my mind is already made up. I have spoken with a couple of his other patients and they seem happy with their results.

I recently got midface/tear trough fillers locally with Dr. Mark Rubinstein and he did a great job. I'm very happy and will go to him in the future for fillers, but my gut is telling me he is not the right one to do my nose. There is also the fact that Dr. Rubinstein doesn't accept financing and I don't want to pay $9800 out of pocket...

Would love to hear about anybody else's experiences with Dr. Pontell or rhinoplasty in general! :-) I'm looking to book my surgery for August/September 2017. So it is probably all I'll be thinking about for the next 3-4 months.
Mark Rubinstein