41 Yo Female 5 Yrs Post Bariatric Surgery & Mommy of a Toddler - Wichita, KS

I looked into body contouring surgery 3 years ago,...

I looked into body contouring surgery 3 years ago, then became pregnant with my only baby. Now, I'm ready to move forward with my lower body lift!

At my heaviest, I weighed 272, and within 6 months of my surgery, I was down to 150. Only gained 15 pounds during pregnancy, and lost the baby weight right away.
I initially looked into tummy tuck, breast lift, and arm lift. 3 consults later, and I have scheduled a lower body lift. I will have my breasts, inner thighs, and arms done later.
I am nervous and excited all at the same time. Pre-op appointment on Wednesday, and can't wait to get more info from my surgeon about what I need to be getting prepared do that my family survives me being down for 2 weeks. I will pay more after my appointment.

2 weeks to go!

Had my pre-op appointment last week, for information regarding the surgery itself and things to do the week before the procedure. My doc has instructed me to start taking Colace the week before surgery, then a bottle of magnesium citrate the Saturday before surgery. Don't need an official 'cleanse' but want to make sure that I won't have issues after surgery. Smart thinking if you ask me!

I'm very excited, but now I'm starting to feel guilty. Like this money should be going to a college fund for my boy.

I'm sure I will have many thoughts back and forth on whether or not this it's the best use of funds, but still... This is a lot of money to me and I don't want to regret my decision.

1 week!!! Eek!!!

I am so nervous, and it's a week away! I have never had anxiety before, so this is new to me. I am trying to get everything together, as my son will turn 2 while I'm recovering. I think I have most things taken care of, but every day I think of something new I hadn't considered.

I will take photos sometime this weekend. I have a few, but none I am comfortable posting. I took them myself so I'm fairly certain they could use some different angles to properly show everything that I would want to keep track of.

2 days post op

Two days out, and I'm surprised at how well things seem to be going. Dr Poggi saw me before I was dismissed from the hospital yesterday, and he called me this evening to make sure things were okay. I can't tell you how much I appreciated the call. Proof again that Dr Poggi was the best decision for me and my surgery.
I am hoping to get 2 of the drains removed on Friday. 2 seem to be draining quite a bit, but the other 2 have negligible fluid drainage. I will post pics as I get to remove my support garment to shower tomorrow. I'm so excited to see how things look!!!

Pain is inevitable

I thought I was going to make it thru this with little pain. Big mistake. Let's be honest, this is a painful recovery. But I am convinced it will be worth it! Bruising is crazy, but getting better every day.

Before pics

Not my week!!

Overnight Wednesday, I started running a high fever- over 103. I had my doctor paged and he wanted me to see his nurse first thing in the morning. She looked me over, decided it was a bug of some sort. She removed one of my drains, and I keep my appointment for today with the Dr.
Today, Dr diagnosed me with strep throat. Great. Healing isn't going nearly as smoothly as anticipated. Got a new script for antibiotics and am feeling better already.
However, tonight we got tragic news, my boyfriend's dad passed away of a sudden heart attack. I hate to be selfish, but unless all of these other random things quit happening, I am never going to heal!
Please think good thoughts, juju, prayers, whatever it is you believe in. We could use any and all good vibes.

Infection in drains

I have an official infection at the drain sites on one side. Let me start by saying it is absolutely disgusting. Rather than the clear yellow regular drainage, it is solid yellow/pink pus. That's it. And it stinks. Not as bad as what I expected, but definitely something different than normal. I'm posting pictures of what the fluid/tissue looks like in the bulb and tube so that you can reference it if you need it. I didn't know how to explain it to the doctor about what it was like. The pain is interesting. I can stand up straight(er), but it feels like someone punched me in the butt. Like when you do a ton of exercises for your glutes, that achy burn. Anyway, it's a completely different pain than before.

3 1/2 weeks out and things are much better!

All drains are out, pain is less and less every day, and I can almost stand up completely straight! The scars are absolutely phenomenal, I couldn't be happier about that. Newest pictures are from tonight, but I took them myself so they could be better. Hopefully you can see just how well the incision is healing.

The marks from the side shots are because I removed bandaids right before taking the pictures. I'm still wearing the binder 24/7 and I believe that has helped immensely.

Seroma & peeling skin on hands & feet

Good grief, if it can happen, it will happen to me! Thankfully, I am not in pain so this is an easy one to deal with. But, I do have a seroma, and a large one at that. They will probably be inserting a drain again, which I'm pretty depressed about, but if it will stop the fluid buildup, it will be worth it!

After draining the fluid from the seroma, my doctor noticed that my left leg was swollen compared to my right. Pitting edema. So I had an ultrasound done. Luckily it showed no clots, but I'm back in compression garments (girdle and Ted hose). Boo!!!

Another thing I don't know if anyone else has dealt with, but the palms of my hands peeled - like a sunburn peel - about a week after surgery. Now the soles of my feet are peeling. Creepy... The doc will look at them tomorrow to see if it is something that needs to be addressed or if I just had such a poor diet during the first weeks after surgery that my body is compensating in weird ways.

3 months out and very satisfied

Dr Poggi really is a master of his craft. I can't say enough good things about his practice. He keeps things light and fun, and Celeste is phenomenal (Dr. Poggi sure is lucky to have her! Haha). I spent way more time there than I would have hoped, but they never made me feel like I was a burden.
My end results are fantastic. I highly recommend Dr. Poggi if you want the best of the best.
Wichita Plastic Surgeon

I highly recommend Dr Poggi and Celeste. I plan on visiting them again for my next procedure(s)!