The Countdown Begins! - Etobicoke, ON

I have my surgery scheduled for December 10th....

I have my surgery scheduled for December 10th. It's something I've wanted to do my whole life... Or at least since my early teens! And I'm much older than most of you so that's a long time lol!
I have been following all of the reviews on here for several months and it's been so great that I thought I should start my own.
I went to see 3 different doctors. I really did like all 3 so it made the decision even more difficult. I ended up choosing Dr. Hacker in Etobicoke. Actually, it was mostly due to the recent reviews I've read about him on this site! Thank you ladies!

Adding before pics

Still trying to figure out adding pics!

What I would like to have done...

I'm hoping to have my nose made smaller overall. It's just too wide, especially when I smile. It's also crooked so I would like it to be straightened. Dr Hacker said I have thick skin so he can only go so small. A tiny button nose wouldn't suit me anyway. It would just be nice to be able to wear glasses that don't feel snug on the bridge of my nose lol. Do you know I have never been able to wear sunglasses!
I'm starting to think about all the things I'm going to need for my surgery. I'm definitely going to get a humidifier. I do have a recliner so I will try to sleep on that for a few days. I just can't stand sleeping on my back. Oh we'll, hopefully the drugs will help with that haha..
How do you wash your face with the cast on? Do you just wash around it? Do I use cleansing wipes? The thought of not washing it is kind of scary. I hate to think what's going to happen to my skin after a week!

3 weeks from tomorrow!

I can't believe how fast the time is going. Every now and then it hits me that I'm finally doing this! I've wanted it forever but never really thought it would happen.
I picked up arnica gel today and also bromelain.
What about vitamins? I've heard that I should stop taking them before surgery. But then others say to load up on vitamin c for a few weeks before surgery. Any input would be appreciated.

This time tomorrow!

I will be leaving for the hospital. I can't believe this is really happening! I keep thinking something is going to happen and I won't be able to do it! It's so surreal .
I have everything I'll need for recovery. At least I hope I do. Today will go by so quickly because I have so much to do at work to get ready for being off. Then when I get home tonight I'm going to give my place a good cleaning so I can just relax and recover for the next few weeks.
I will post again when it's done. Wish me luck :)

Surgery done!

I had my surgery yesterday and it went pretty well. I ended up going in earlier because there was a cancellation before me. I was happy about that because it meant less time to wait and be nervous.
I met with Dr hacker before the surgery to review what he was going to do.. I really feel that I made a good decision choosing him because he is so calm and confident. It is obvious he knows what he is doing and he loves his job!
The nurses were great too. I was worried about being sick from the anesthetic and I was. But it wasn't too bad.
When I woke up my mouth was very dry but I didn't have a sore throat. That surprised me because I was expecting it to be. I didn't have much pain. Maybe a 5 or 6. They gave me some morphine and I was fine.
Last night was ok. I ended up sleeping in my bed propped up on 2 big pillows plus my neck pillow. I put pillows under my knees too because I normally can't sleep on my back due to lower back pain. I was able to sleep for about 2-3 hours before waking up to drink water. Can't believe how dry I am still! And I can breathe thru my nose too, i was surprised about that too but I know I may still get congested as the swelling increases. My eyes are very puffy this morning and I have 2 beautiful shiners going on lol!
I will post a pic for your entertainment after I have a nap :)

Cast off on Tuesday!

Just found out that I'm getting my cast off on Tuesday. I'm happy about that because I thought I'd have to wait until Thursday.
I'm in a lot more pain now. My teeth really hurt and the inside of my nose is quite sore. I have lots of dried blood inside my nostrils but I'm not sure how to clean it. Is it ok to use warm water with q tips? I just don't want to start bleeding again. I haven't needed the drip pad at all today.
The tip of my nose seems much more defined already, even tho it is taped up and looks very piggish at the moment. Dr hacker told me he would be doing that and not to worry because it wouldn't stay like that. My eyes are swollen and very purple right now. But so far the bruising hasn't really spread. Just waiting to see what I look like tomorrow !

Pictures added

Pictures added

Day 2 after surgery

Not much new to update still just have bruising around the eyes and I'm very swollen. Lots of dried crusty blood in my nostrils which I'm going to try to clean out today. Anyone have any tips on how to do this? I just don't want to pull a stitch or a stent.

Day after surgery picture

Day 3 after surgery

Well last night was probably the worst for pain. But it's my teeth that hurt the most, not my nose . My eyes are very puffy and itchy today too. Hopefully it will get better from here.
My skin where the bruises are is extremely dry. I think it may be the arnica gel I've been using. I think I will get some cream instead to see if that helps.
Anyway, here is a picture from today. Not much has changed. Still a beautiful purple hue:)
My best tip for anyone going through this is to get lots and lots of rest,! My husband has been amazing throughout all of this! Couldn't have done it without him!

Day 4

Well it's day 4 after surgery. I am still in quite a bit of pain. I'm out of Percocet now so I emailed Dr hacker to see if I could get a refill. Unfortunately he said he can't call in a refill for pain. I can meet with him later today if I need to... I will try extra strength Tylenol first to see if that helps.
Dr hacker said it is very unusual to still have so much pain....of course, I would have to be unusual lol! On a positive note, I think my bruising and swelling is on its way out! I am actually peeling where the bruises are!
I had to loosen the tape that is around my tip. It was actually cutting the skin there. My tip is very hard and swollen. I can't wait to get the splints out. I think they are causing most of this pain.
I will just keep eating pineapple and drinking tons of water!
Happy healing to all of you who are going thru this too!

Day 5

I'm going to see Dr hacker today because this pain is not letting up. I think it is the internal splints that are causing this grief. Hopefully he can take them out today or at least give me something more for pain.
My bruises are fading now but still hard to cover up. The whites of my eyes are red in the outside corners too.
I can honestly say I wasn't expecting recovery to be so tough but I would do it all over again if I had to. And that is without even seeing the results lol! I just feel confident in choosing Dr hacker. When I emailed him yesterday , he got back to me right away. He was even ready to meet me yesterday if I needed to. I don't think all doctors would do that.
Anyway, i will update again after my appt.

Cast off and splints are out!!

Hello again:) just got back from seeing the Dr and he decided to take the splints out as they were causing so much discomfort. I'm not gonna lie, I felt it when he pulled them out, but it was very fast. And it was a big relief! Then he took the cast off and showed me how to tape it at night. He also showed me how to massage it and told me to do it several times a day. He said it's important not to baby it too much. It will help with swelling and scar tissue.
He told me it would look funny when he took the cast off- even more so because I was getting it off at day 6. I really wasn't expecting much change but I have to say I really like it! My nose is even more narrow than I had hoped for. He said it will take 11/2 years to see the final resul because of my thick skin. He also said that the final result will look much better than tonight! I'm thrilled! It is already very swollen just since the ride home. And I am completely stuffed up. But I can deal with that. I will take pics and post them tomorrow.
I'm so happy I finally did this! I wish I had done it years ago but at least I did it now. If you are wanting to have this done. If your nose really bothers you, do the research, find a great surgeon, and go for it! My recovery was not easy but it was definitely worth it. And from what Dr hacker said, most people don't even feel the splints are there. I was just unusual, now that they are out I feel so much better!
Have a great night everyone!

Day after cast removal

Pictures taken this morning. Very swollen today! Makeup doesn't quite do the trick yet for concealing bruises :)

More comparisons

Before and after pics

Day 9 after surgery

I'm really feeling much better today. Even though my tip is still quite swollen, I am starting to get more feeling back. It is not as hard and stiff as it was.
I find that the massaging really helps and is not nearly as painful to do anymore.
My bruises are getting smaller but they are still visible under makeup.
I don't look in the mirror much because I know that I still have such a long way to go. So far I am happy with my results!
I'm still very stuffed up, especially at night. Can't wait to breathe thru my nose again:)
I will post another pic even tho not much has changed

Day 12 after surgery

This morning I woke up and my mouth was not feeling like sandpaper :) I was able to breathe somewhat thru my nose! Amazing! I got more stuffed up later today but at least it was an improvement.
I don't have any more pain but I can tell that the inside of my nose is still very swollen. Not much has changed appearance wise. Still looks the same to me.
Hope everyone is doing well and healing nicely!

3 week update

Happy new year everyone!
I can't believe its been 3 weeks already. I'm finally starting to get my energy back.
I think it is because I have been so congested and not able to breath through my nose fully. Actually, I guess I'm not really congested, just lots of internal swelling.
I have seen lots of changes over the past few days! My bridge is so much more narrow now and my tip is getting smaller too. It's so funny because it can change throughout the day. It is still rock hard tho. I didn't expect it to change this quickly because Dr hacker told me that having thick skin will take longer to see the results. I'm wondering how much more it will change?
The funny thing is that pictures don't look the same as the mirror. It looks much smaller in person. Weird!
Anyway, here are a few new pics to compare.

3 week pictures

Here are pics from today

Profile shot