Frankel Could Not Deliver or Stand by His Work

I went to Dr. Frankel for a repair of the bossae...

I went to Dr. Frankel for a repair of the bossae and he took off 6 mm off the front of my nose, removed my columella and cut off my footplates. All which we never discussed. He gave me a pointy tip when I asked for a larger boxy one. Even his morphs he didn't remove my columella. Very confusing and depressing.

Update---meeting with other doctors

So, I did meet with a few doctors to see if this is all in my mind and most of the doctors cannot believe doctor Frankel took off the footplates. They say, unlike Dr. Frankel, that no doctors do that. However, this is why my nose is kind of floating off my face and not attached anywhere. The nose is badly deviated to the side. The nostrils are crooked and it swings off to the left badly. I didn't realize these things, only the missing columella and supratip break that Frankel said he deliberately tried to remove despite me only wanting the bossae covered. I only found one doctor that thinks my case can be improved or even done at all. It is very depressing and hard right now, but, I have hope somehow that this can be improved after looking at some of the cases on here. Lots of offices have told me they do rib, but when I get there, they tell me they don't. So, it's been disappointing. I'm glad other doctors are telling me how badly retracted my nose is because Dr. Frankel is like, it's not retracted and I didn't remove anything. I want to put up photos and let you see, but only if I can take them down, which I don't know if I can. I do realize we all have styles of noses we like and Dr. F gave me his style, despite me asking for something exactly like my own nose with just the bossae covered. I want to help people not get a surgery if it looks okay. I was very pretty and now I'm not, which is so scary. Most of the doctors tell me Dr. Frankel should not have touched my nose, but I wanted the bossae covered and discussed it with him and made sure we were on the same page. I felt I did everything right. Telling him, if you cannot do it, please don't. He promised not to take anything off. My columella now sits in a ball in between my nostrils which I found out yesterday from Rady Rahban. However, it's not so easy to just pull them down and re-suture them to something. They are grow together at some point and that is what I am dealing with and going to doctors to undo.

He offered to fix it but told me my nose was short because of my age

Dr. Frankel met with me and told me my nose is over-shortened because of age. Literally, he said this. Instead of admitting he shortened it over 6 mm, he told me that he never speaks in millimeters. When I pointed out his whole surgical report is speaking in millimeters, he got upset and told me he regrets ever doing it and tried very hard to get rid of the columella and supratip. When I asked why he would do something that I never asked for, that when I asked for a larger, fuller nose, he said he was up all weekend thinking about it. Trust me, so am I.

Sad today

I guess what I want everyone to know is revisions can go horribly wrong and i was pretty and now just look meh. Seriously, Both me and the doctor wish we didn't do this. Think twice a person touching you if you are still pretty and very happy, which I was. This has been the hardest year and a half of my life so far. I can't do selfies and my friends and family think i chose this hideous shape. it's so embarrassing. I'm going to get it fixed this month and then I will post all the crazy photos. I want everyone to please make sure you like the aesthetic of the doctor you choose, because though I did not like Frankel's aesthetic, He assured me he could do the minor things I wanted. Instead of completely giving me a different nose. i thought we were on the same page since I asked for something larger. He took off all the length and I really don't see many people on here with more length. I hope for the best and I hope you guys are okay too. Two of my friends also had a disastrous result with this surgeon. Seemingly he did whatever he wanted on our faces without explaining what it meant. I'm going to be okay for sure, but it's been on an off terrible.

Update---Septum is cut

Today, I got some hard news. My new surgeon explained that the other surgeon most likely cut the front of my septum off and gave me a tongue and groove. Both of which are not in the report. I went into my car and cried, not because hope was gone, but because I finally know my suspicions were true even though my other doctor wouldn't admit to cutting it. I feel that these surgeons have to say what happened in the report so the next person can help, and he didn't. So, I'm not even that mad. I'm more like--OMG. how could they do this to me? but, also, I'm looking towards the future. I feel so much hope. I met doctors who took all my hope away. A few of them, in fact. I think they have a responsibility to tell us, yeah I can't do it, but keep looking. One doctor told me anyone who said they could help me was a liar. Literally. who says that? My septum was cut off and thrown in the trash, and NO ONE ON PLANET EARTH can help me? That's sort of not fair to say. Just because i don't know Japanese doesn't mean I go around and tell people no one knows Japanese or it can't be learned. Do you know what I mean--even if it makes very little sense? Like who does that? I've been okay though. I have been trying to be happy anyway. Trying to find humor and joy in life even though I don't look the same and trying to find a solution for the situation. Some days are worse than others to be honest, but at least i'm trying to be a person. I might look weird and different, but when I look in the mirror, I still see a good person. Not someone who deliberately crushes people's hopes. I'm very disappointed in a few doctors here in Los Angeles who did that to me and my friends. But, I want everyone to know. this has been one of the hardest things I've ever gone through. some days I laugh really hard about it with my other friends and some days I cry openly, but at least I'm out here in life trying to be better. to anyone in this position, there is always hope, you just have to have an open heart and keep looking and ask people on here first. I know it can be so painful to have a bad outcome, but most people can get improvement, with the proper research. At least that is my belief. Sending you all good wishes. Sincerely, thank you for helping me each and every one of you. Thank you for your compassion and your inbox messages, those of you who want to be private but had the same experience. It has made me feel less alone, it has restored my belief in humanity. Sincerely.

No Wonder he stayed up all weekend.

I finally got his actual email so I don't have to go through the front desk anymore. I realize when I found out about the footplates, the reason he couldn't sleep was because he knew I'd find out he cut off the end of my septum. There is tucking also, but that is what happened to me. I could barely sleep.

Why do Doctors Lie about what was Performed?

This is getting to me. Why do doctors not tell the truth, so at least the patient is armed with the information when trying to get help somewhere else? Why don't they just tell you, it looks like that because I did this? This would cause a lot less pain in the people who have these issues. i'm going to start a revolution. Sometimes I see doctors lie to patients, oh it's just swelling or oh you have to wait. And literally, it is not just swelling, it's a bad surgical outcome. Why can't they be honest so we can get help and actual hope!! Dr. Elam is honest. Dr. Yoo is honest. Dr. Hamilton is honest. and i'm sure many doctors are honest--but I met with some that could not or would not tell me the truth about what was going on. Especially the doctor who did this. That makes me very sad and I don't want to see that happen to anyone else---but I guess it is common. I did all my laundry last night, made some art, worked on a script and I ordered Sugarfish--(the most delicious sushi out here) and I have more hope now that I know what happened to me and my surgery is coming up. Sending you all the best! You are not alone!

Happy Thanksgiving.

So, as I sit here this morning, very grateful for my life and all the wonderful people in it, I realize that this whole experience can me made into something good. Not that it happened, I don't think it should have, but that I have a community of people who have had wonderful experiences with revisions and also horror stories that turned into beautiful results. We see so many people on here get wonderful revisions, that I am certain trusting this doctor was part of my downfall. But, the fears that plague us all are...now who do we trust? We have been told to stretch our noses because the wait list is extremely long for certain doctors. We have been told we can never ever have anything done again. We have been told no tips can be improved or even fixed by doctors that don't know how. We have been told we still look "okay." But, the successful people on here do find a doctor who tells them the truth, "Your other nose was better, and I can help you." They don't over promise they can get you back to that exact nose, but they at least have hope. And the successful revisions I do see them again and again, are those with plenty of support who run it by someone, as I did not do in my surgery. I trusted completely a doctor who took off my columella and shortened my septum even though that was not the agreed upon plan. But, it's like having a bad boyfriend isn't it? The reason I always have boyfriends, is because I don't look at one bad experience as a damning evidence against all men. I look at it as one bad experience. And though some days I get upset that I was lied to by the doctor that did this, which only served to delay me getting help, I have now found two Los Angeles doctors who can and will help me, who agreed I looked better with a longer nose and didn't mince words. I also had friends that lied to me, but I demanded a friend tell me the truth, otherwise, I would still be living in denial. I saw something wrong and trusted that instinct enough to get my money back, but when people ask me why I waited so long (almost two years in January) it's because I didn't know how to do the research. This time I got lucky. I met some people who had done way more research than I have and told me which doctors to see for my issues. I am here to tell you, I trust in surgeons, but this time also am choosing the one who shares my aesthetic goals as well as what comes out of their mouths match their photos. Instead of my belief that they will do what they say despite their photos. So, I have a part in this as well. Not in terms of karma, but in terms of you can't go to Target and expect to get Burberry. I thought I was going to the best even when my own instinct told me something wasn't right. Because I was told he was the best. But, in my case, with my aesthetic, which is larger noses look better and are more current in the trend of faces, he wasn't and I saw that, but wanted to believe in him. This time is a little different. The two surgeons I have met with, who actually did offer hope, both share a love for larger noses with aesthetic refinement and a feminine shape. So, guys, Happy Thanksgiving. I'm moving forward with my revision on Monday and I've been scared a lot, but I trust this time will offer me with positive results. Something closer to what I had--which is what my surgeon is going to try to do. Eat and be merry. I'm going to the gym first. lol. Sending you all your fantastic plastic surgery dreams. May everyone's' aesthetic goals be reached and try not to let it get you down today. We are still alive on the planet to find help and be helped and help one another. Take care and thank you for reading my story.

Before Photos----to The RealSelf Community---A hearty Thank you.

I think that I owe it to the realself community to post photos. You guys are so supportive and awesome. As you can see, I had a nice nose. The thing I went in for was a little bossae on the tip which I wanted covered, not shaved, covered to make it fuller. I wanted a fuller nose because my first surgery left me with very little cartilage which I experienced as shrinkage and points sticking out. Instead, Frankel took off the entire front end of my nose, which I will post in another update in a few minutes. Changed the shape, which I loved wholeheartedly and dearly. He took my doublebreak straight off, the most feminine part of the female nose in my opinion, which gave me sex appeal and attractiveness. By the way, I was born with a doublebreak, my mother even has one. So, to take it away hurt my feelings of identity and self. This was not just a little bump or crookedness, this was the entire shape of my nose, changed without my permission.

This is After Photos

As you can see the entire front end was cut off and it aged my face instantly. When I asked what he did to me he told me my nose looked short because of age, when in fact the truth was he actually cut my septum with scissors and threw it away. I kept asking what was wrong with it and he kept saying the columella was still there. This cruelty keeps people in denial and deprives them of seeking solutions or knowing how to fix it. Had he just told me he cut off my septum and columella I could have told the surgeons I met with what happened to my nose, Instead he hid it to the degree it is even missing from my surgical report. I have had so many people write me with the same experience.

After Frankel

These are the photos.

Someone asked for a Frontal View

Hi guys, some of you asked for this. It's so ugly, I apologize, but here it is.

Update--There is Hope!

I was thinking this morning how grateful I am. Not that this happened to me but that I found a few people to actually diagnose what was wrong. I had some doctors say nothing could ever be done again and it took away all hope, but I knew in my heart that wasn't true and I kept asking people on here and looking for a solution in the doctors that were recommended to fix noses like mine---builders not those who take away from the nose. To anyone going through this, the loss is so dramatic, and I feel so sad for us that we are dealing with it, but there is hope! There are doctors that will say, yes! I can help you. Be careful of the ones who say they can but their books look off. I know I have a part in this too. I had no idea this would or could happen to me. I am a careful person--I have a big personality but I am also sensitive and believe in the goodness of people. But, in this case, so many other people have written to me that also had this surgeon do this to them and then charge for revisions and keep saying it needed another one and another one, that I see a pattern. These same people had "secret" overages after the surgery took place, like I did. I reminded the office that I remembered waking up and speaking to the doctor and to my boyfriend still within the time frame of the surgery and he didn't go over, however, I was charged a month later for $500. If it was just me, I would think, okay, everyone makes a mistake, but he and I had an agreement to not take tissue off my nose. So, I know this was deliberate and the most frustrating part is he refused to tell me what happened, which would have upset me, but at least it would have allowed me to seek treatment to fix it and know what needed to be fixed way sooner. And due to all the people who have written to me, I know I am not the only one. The most scary part of all is the lies. When you are asking why does my nose look like this and they are making things up to cover their actions. I think that is terribly unethical, especially when you have other doctors telling you you are not seeing things. I found out a lot more was done during this surgery than was on the op report, but I will eventually write it all down for you so you can see for yourself. But, for now, I am recovering and staying positive and shopping online for cute things and trying to remember I am a girl, a woman, a person, a human with thoughts and feelings and I need to acknowledge this was one of the worst things that has ever happened to me, but that said, there was still hope. I see other tragic stories on here get help. You just need to be so careful about letting the surgeon re-do your nose if he doesn't have the skill to do so or the aesthetic sensibilities to do so. In my surgeon's case, I think he is deliberately being sloppy to get another revision and these secret charges should not be happening to each and every one of us. I'm sad for his staff. They try to tell you you will be okay and then hide from you because they cannot see what this mad-scientist doctor did to your face. Still I have a part. His photos did not match my aesthetic. I believed his words and just shouldn't have. As we go into the holiday season, I have a bandage on my face, but my heart has always been pure. It remains that way even after everything. I have seen many bad cases like mine get help. There are some very good ethical doctors around. Don't give up.

A few notes about the nose and why we need to know about them

This journey has been one of the hardest things that's ever happened to me, but i really would have been helped had Dr. Frankel just been honest and told me what was going on so I could seek treatment. I think it's so important to talk to one another about our noses. Some women do not like the columella and the nostril show and in many textbooks it is cut off or reduced, but to me that is a natural portion of the nose and I liked mine. My tip was also tucked, but it took my friends on here to explain what was going on with my nose for me to understand it. I needed to understand concepts of the columella strut and rim grafts and it is the way the grafts are used that can make all the difference in having a feminine result. Yes, this was my mistake in choosing the wrong surgeon who did not share my aesthetic vision, but also I didn't know what had happened, which prolonged the misery. I had my revision on Monday, but I hear from others that they let doctors do another revision and another one without ever really understanding what happened. I always say get a nose mentor, someone who can look at your face and help you. Find someone who knows more than you do about the nose. So, whatever your choices are, may they be rooted in what you find to be feminine on a nose. I have a long Philtrum. What is a Philtrum? I had no idea what it was, but it is why I knew I looked better with a larger nose and that was the surgical procedure I went in for. I knew it intuitively and aeshetically, but not the medical term for it. So, I didn't mention it when I went in for my surgery--I just said I wanted a larger nose, when I should have been saying I wanted a fuller nose to cover the bossae. Longer noses cover that long space between the upper lip and the nose itself. I knew this to be aeshetically true, but I didn't know what it was called, so when it was cut and shortened, that balance to my face that had always been there was drastically "off". philtrum----is the vertical groove between the base of the nose and the border of the upper lip. It is the junction between the two halves of the upper lip or of an animal's nose.
Some mornings I wake up and I realize that this does happen to people but the prolonged misery is the really horrific part. I feel positive, I looked at women who reached their aesthetic goals and they always had a very good mind set and I think this is important. We are not our noses, but we do deserve nice ones that go with our faces. One girl even told me she thought what happened to her was punishment for thinking she was pretty and I thought it was just an unfortunate result and a bit of salesmanship. I think doctors that don't know what to do often take away rather than add and it's very important to find one that works with you to achieve what looks good on your particular face. I really believe it's just a matter of choosing a different surgeon and retaining hope.

How I hid

I have always liked masks, literally, this is how I hid for the last year.
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon

I like Dr. Frankel. He thought I was pretty, but I told him I wanted my bossae covered. He is charming and a very good salesman--he convinced me I was in good hands and that he would make my nose larger. I told him the issue with my previous surgeon was aftercare and he promised to let me speak to him directly. However, once I saw that he removed my columella, cut off my footplates and shortened my nose 6 mm, I tried contacting the office. Not only do my emails have to go through his front staff (as nice as they are), but, he writes back and claims to have had to go over things in the emails without ever addressing them. I have met with very good surgeons to help fix this and they say the footplates cannot be put back and that I need rib now to rebuild my nose. They say despite the addition of a graft on the bridge, that one isn't actually there. Dr. Frankel promised not to take any tissue out and just did whatever he wanted, cut things off and threw them in the trash. It's not only that he didn't do what he promised, it's that his refusal to call me to explain how to undo it, is very disturbing and toxic for a patient. I have communicated with lots of patients on here and they are all baffled why a surgeon won't contact them and answer their questions. Perhaps he is nervous about lawsuits, but the lack of response is what would make someone that upset. Mostly, people just want to be seen and heard. I am very disappointed in what Dr. Frankel did to me. And moreover that his ethics are not based in compassion or care about the patient. Yes, he did a lot to me I did not consent to, however, had he just called and treated me as a person with an issue and helped me get it fixed, I think I wouldn't be so upset. Please know this is just my experience and I do think he is a capable doctor. Just not a very good person at this point. He doesn't stand by his work and won't communicate with patients with an issue.