How Long Will the Pain Last from Tooth Whitening?

I had the procedure done this morning at 11am and I am in the worst pain I have ever been in. I read one comment from a patient who experienced pain for a year...is that possible? Thanks

Pain after Zoom

Some patients will have pain after Zoom.  It will last the first 24 hours and then will be back to normal.  We have been giving patients pain medicine in the office before the treatment to make the experience so much nicer.  This does not help you now!.  Try to take some Alleve and call the Dentist office and ask for a something for pain.  Try to keep air off of your teeth as this makes the teeth sensitive.  

Patient selection is key

We have never had such a problem. Patient selection is key. We do not Zoom patients with a lot of tissue recession, or sensitive teeth. Prior to treatment we ask all of this in detail and I personally review this with the patient along with helping them understand what result they may expect. Occasionally patients will need Motrin the first day but only that day.

Benjamin S. Fiss, DDS
Chicago Dentist

Pain After Dental Whitening, How Long Will It Last?

Not everyone get's pain after dental whitening, and I know how frustrating it is when someone like you does get considerable pain after the bleaching procedure.  You are probably getting "zingers", intermittent pains that come and go for a few seconds, or possibly a dull continual aching.  For the most part, these pains resolve within 24 hours.

Typically dentists will recommend that the patient take Advil immediately before and four to six hours after.  This can be repeated for twenty four hours.  In rare cases, when the Advil doesn't do the trick within ten hours, some dentists will resort to a single dose of a moderate narcotic, like Vicodin.  Usually that one dose knocks out the pain.

If you had in office bleaching like Zoom, then I would not advise doing in office bleaching again.  You probably have teeth that are just too sensitive.  Any further bleachings, utilize one of the take home tray bleaching systems.  This will allow you to adjust the amount of time you bleach to achieve a more comfortable result.  Your dentist can also dispense medications that desensitize your teeth before doing the bleaching.  Also, you might have to cut down the concentration of your bleaching get.

Anyway, dentists realize how frustrated this post bleaching pain is, albeit it is not the norm with most patients.  It should resolve shortly, but talk with your dentists about changing the protocol for you the next time you bleach because your teeth hyper reacted.

Norman Huefner, DDS
Laguna Niguel Dentist

Temporary Pain After Tooth Whitening

It is common to experience pain during and after tooth whitening, but it will go away after couple days.

Patients who have sensitive teeth to begin with or active decay, gum recession and enamel abrasion, will need to be placed on Fluoride regiment prior to whitening, and all the active decay areas have to be treated before the whitening treatment can begin. Take home bleaching with custom trays administered for 3-5 days is more effective and less sensitive then in-office intense Zoom whitening.

Arthur Kezian, DDS
Los Angeles Dentist

Sensitivity After Zoom Whitening

It is very common for patients to develop post operative sensitivity for 8-10 hours following any laser whitening procedure.  We typically give the patient  400-600mg of Advil prior to the procedure to keep the pain to a minimum.  Not everyone has sensitivity , but a good portion of patients do.  As far a your the person you read about being sensitive for a year, I doubt that this was from the whitening.  I have never had a patient have sensitivity even for 48 hours, much less a year.  

One year is too long for teeth whitening pain

Sensitivity is common with in-office whitening procedures. The sensitivity ranges from no sensitivity at all, to very sensitive.

In the office we do this procedure daily. If a patient becomes sensitive I have not seen it last more than 24 to 48 hours.

If sensitivity persists past that time there could have been underlying conditions that may have been triggered and I suggest seeing your dentist promptly.

The best remedy is an NSAID like Advil or Aleve. Typically our patients are given an NSAID before they leave and are instructed to take it before bed time. If symptoms do occur they typically do not occur directly after the procedure. Rather they occur multiple hours after the procedure. Taking the NSAID ahead of time may prevent the sensitivity from surfacing.

Ryan Sellinger, DMD
Manhattan Dentist

Whitening

Teeth get somewhat dehydrated from teeth whitening and become like little sponges that can absorb color. This is why it is recommended to avoid colored foods for at least 24 hours. I usually recommend 48 hours to be safe. This dehydration is the same reason teeth may be a bit sensitive. This sensitivity only lasts about 24 hours and can be helped with sensodyne toothpaste and over the counter anti-inflammatories. Follow us for more info.

Victoria Veytsman, DDS
New York Dentist

Pain with teeth whitening

If laser whitening is performed by your dentist, there is no pain.
Other options will result in sensitivity. However, the pain is caused by dessicating or overdrying out the tooth. This opens up the tubules, which are like pipelines to the nerve. However, there are always risk with teeth whitening, resulting in post-op sensitivity, but rare with laser whitening.

James Magee, DDS
Altamonte Springs Dentist

12 to 24 hours in most cases

Normally post-whitening sensitivity is worst the first few hours after the procedure and should gradually subside in 12 hours or less.  If it persists beyond that, there is likely gum recession and exposed roots of some of the teeth which makes them much more sensitive.  However if that is the case, the sensitivity should go away within a few days.

Michael Firouzian, DDS
Columbus Dentist

Pain or sensitivity after whitening

Some patients note an increase in sensitivity during and/or after teeth whitening.  This condition is usually of short duration, lasting a day or two before returning to normal.  Using a tooth whitening product which contains fluoride can help reduce the risk of post whitening sensitivity.  Patients in our office who have a history of sensitivity prior to whitening are often instructed to use a high strength topical fluoride  for several days prior to and after the procedure to reduce or avoid sensitivity.

Overuse of whitening products can also cause sensitivity.  It is very important to follow the instructions of your dentist when using a take-home product or the manufacturers instructions on the over the counter products.  When used properly, tooth whitening products do a great job.  When used to excess, they have the potential to damage your teeth or make them very sensitive.

Marc Zive, DMD
Springfield Dentist