Male. Had liposuction on my flanks over 3 months ago. No change in shape whatsoever. Very disheartened.

I had liposuction to my flanks on 10th of april. The point was to get rid of the 'curvy' shape of my hips so that my sides are straight. My surgeon said he removed all the fat (around 3 litres) but sadly I'v seen NO change whatsoever. I honestly feel quite depressed. My hips look the same, the area is painful to touch and swelling constantly goes up and down for no apparent reason. this isnt from weight gain because i'v lost a lot of weight since my op from bodybuilding.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift!

Post Liposuction Irregularities, Swelling -- Try Massage, Velashape or Venus Legacy With Your Compression

Swelling due to liposuction can last for months. Massage, RF treatments, Venus Legacy, hyperbaric oxygen and continued used of compression garments will drastically reduce swelling. My patients have very minimal pain one week after surgery if they follow my post surgical protocol, you should not be experiencing extreme pain. I suggest consulting with your physician and discussing your concerns. If you continue to remain unhappy with your results I would suggest a VASER Hi definition liposuction revision. Best,  Dr. Emer

Liposuction and shape

Sorry that you are unhappy with the results. I am surprised you do not see much if you had 3 liters removed. Sometimes as in the hip region, the bony prominences will obviously not chang and so lipo will not help that.. Perhaps that is what you were thinking.  

No change after liposuction in a male.

Sorry for your uncertainty over your results.  The fact that you note tenderness and swelling (although unusual at 3 months) tells me that the healing process is not complete.  With tumescent lipo I've found most patients see a near immediate improvement, fairly dramatic at 6 weeks and a final result by 3-6 months.  Your surgeon may have used an energy technique that prolongs healing and discomfort (Smart Lipo?) so the results most probably have not yet become apparent.  3000 ccs of fat and fluid removal should eventually show a very noticeable change and improvement.  Be patient but continue in touch with your surgeon for support and to have your questions answered.  Good luck. Jon A Perlman MD FACS  Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery  Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016  Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Lipo 3 months ago no change

Thank you for your question. Without seeing before and after it will be difficult to comment about your concern. Lipo causes swelling but most of it will go down by this time and may be more time in some others.Results will continue to improve unto 6 months or more. Best thing is wait three more months reevaluate and meanwhile talk to your PS and express your concerns. 

No Change with Liposuction

It is impossible to begin to comment on  your situation without seeing several before and now photos. Since none of us have the option of examining you and are here to help you the unavailability of photis makes the job impossible. I will add that with removal of 3 liters from the flanks regardless of swelling you should be seeing a positive improvement. Moreover, men's love handles are relatively EASY to correct. So this raises the questions are you suffering a complication such as a seroma or are your expectations unrealistic that you are unable to appreciate the improvements? Again, without photis it is impossible to answer your question. 
Dr. Peter A. Aldea

Liposuction - seeing no results

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • Without before/after photos, I can only give you general advice as follows -
  • Liposuction definitely causes a lot of swelling that takes months and months to subside.
  • Typically at least 6 months - at times longer.
  • It is a biologic healing process which cannot be changed.
  • The up and down swelling is typical of post-surgical swelling as is the sensitivity of the skin.
  • It is excellent that you've lost weight from body-building - the work outs may contribute to the swelling but don't stop!
  • Ask your surgeon what kind of liposuction was used -
  • Laser or other heat-based liposuction is more likely to cause the swelling
  • It may help to return to your surgeon to compare before/after photos - at times there is actually more change than we realize.
  • But you should see more improvement with time.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS