Dermal filler (Belotero) for forehead unevenness? Risks?

I have a very uneven, bumpy forehead with concavities. It's not an osteoma, it's simply my skull shape. It's very noticeable in light hitting from above and makes me self conscious. I know there's permanent bone shaving, but I'm not quite ready for that. I've read injecting Belotero or other fillers can help - I'm worried it will mess with my facial expressions, drop my brows etc? Is that common? Thank you

Fillers do not affect the motor nerves which would be responsible for the adverse symptoms you describe. Belotero® is an excellent choice for "evening out" surface textural irregularities on the forehead! 

Miami Dermatologist

Belotero filler helps with wrinkles

Hi Sophia,
Belotero is an injectable filler made of hyaluronic acid soft tissue, useful in correcting many of the changes of skin and soft tissue. It can soften wrinkles of the face or body, restore volume loss, or augment facial and body, if desired. Results can be expected to be immediate and last 6-12 months. Because of its unique properties that allows it to adapt to multiple layers of the soft tissue, it can be useful for correcting fine wrinkles. Some examples of skin problems it can be used for include smoker’s lines (perioral rhytides or lines around the mouth), glabellar lines or frown lines, neck wrinkles, décolletage wrinkles, crow’s feet, mid cheek lines and forehead lines. And it provides relief without unevenness or discoloration. Down time is none to minimal although occasionally a bruise may develop but this goes away in a few days. One caution is for patients taking blood thinners as there is risk of bruising. Swelling may also be caused but applying ice packs makes this dissipate quickly.

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Forehead and Juvederm

Belotero is an excellent filler, but it is fine, best used around the eyes and tear troughs, for forehead contouring I like Juvederm. See an experienced and Board Certified Specialist as this area can be very tricky to fill due to the blood vessels in the forehead area. The filler need to be placed deep. 
All the bestDr Davin Lim Laser and aesthetic dermatologistBrisbane, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Forehead filler

Yes, fillers can be used to contour the forehead. My preferred fillers for the forehead are Juvederm and Voluma. Belotero is a filler which I use for fine lines and tear troughs. Fillers, unlike Botox, will not alter your facial expressions. I recommend an in-person consultation with an experienced injector.  

Foreheads can be treated with Fillers

Yes, fillers like Belotero, Juvederm, and others can work well in the forehead.  They have the advantages of retaining normal movement and expression and lifting.  Whereas Botox for young foreheads can help prevent wrinkles, as time goes on and the normal young volume withers away, botox can cause the eyebrows to drop and the eyelids to feel heavy.  I like to think of fillers and thin, medium and thick.  Combinations can be used.  A picture would be useful, but I hope that helps. 

Marla M. Klein, MD
Lake Oswego Dermatologic Surgeon

Forehead contours

I often use voluma or juvederm for forehead contour irregularities.  Using HA fillers are great for tenting up the tissues to add volume.  In addition, it would have the added benefit to actually raise the eyebrows as the forehead muscles are put on stretch and would work to lift the brows.  Belotero would be good for fine lines but I prefer a HA with higher G prime viscosity for what you describing.

Samuel Shatkin, Jr., MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Facial Sculpting Using Fillers Like Voluma, Radiesse, Lyft, Juvederm and Sculptra and Fat

Fillers, implants and fat can all be used to sculpt and contour the face. I typically use Belotero for fine wrinkles and fillers such as Voluma, Radiesse, Lyft, Juvederm and Sculptra for contouring. I suggest consulting with a facial sculpting expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Injectable Fillers Can Be Used To Treat Forehead Uneveness & Irregularities

Without photos, it is difficult to comment in any more than general terms. For many years, I have personally used fillers for evening out various bony irregularities of the forehead, particularly depressions over the brow ridges and within the glabella regions. I have in fact successfully treated myself for both of the latter in this fashion.

Which filler or volumizing filler or combination of these is chosen depends upon individual circumstances. In general, Belotero is a good choice for treating fine lines around and under the eyes, for hollows above the upper lids, and for lines in the glabella (between the eybrows) area since it is very unlikely to give rise to the unwanted, bluish Tyndall Effect seen when other hyaluronic acid based products are injected superficially within the delicate periorbital tissues. For deeper depressions, such as those over the ridges of the orbit, I would prefer Restylane L owing to its excellent lifting capacity and more limited capacity for drawing to itself excess tissue fluid. . 

The lower forehead areas and particularly the glabella region, are rich with blood vessels that may be inadvertently entered or compressed during treatment, making the forehead and particularly the glabella region, the purview of only advanced, experienced physician injectors. Treatment here should not be left to novice injectors accustomed to injecting simple smile lines with ordinary Juvederm. 

Be certain to consult with a board certified aestheti, core physician before proceeding.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Forehead fillers

Thanks for your question.  It is difficult to say the best filler, if any, for your situation without pictures, but I will say that Belotero is generally best for very fine wrinkles and around the eyes.  If the goal is for mild forehead shaping, I would go with something like Juvederm, Restylane, or even Voluma, but again hard to say in your particular case.  Fillers do not affect facial animation to the degree that Botox does, but can "weigh down" your brows if too much filler is used, or placed too low.  I think this risk is minimal if you are conservative and realistic about what fillers can achieve.  Of course, consultation would be needed to determine if fillers would be safe/beneficial for what you are trying to achieve, and if so, which particular filler.  Best of luck.

John Harbison, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon