Is use of Hyaluronidase safe to dissolve Belotero in the tear trough?

I had Belotero injected into both tear troughs in December. Immediately following treatment I noticed a bag under my left eye. It’s been five months and I’ve not noticed any improvement to the area. What are the risks of using Hyaluronidase in the tear trough area? I’ve read horror stories of people who've had this treatment and claim to look worse permanently, however I fear that at the current rate of dissolution, I'll be waiting more than a year for the Belotero to dissolve naturally.

Belotero to the tear troughs

If you are unhappy with the result, it is a good idea to try some hyaluronidase. It is safe to use in this area and should dissolve the product. However, as it's been five months, if there is any scar tissue, the area may not flatten out completely until the filler has been fully resorbed. Return the to physician injector and have them re-evaluate. Or consider a second opinion. 

Danbury Oculoplastic Surgeon

Belotero and tear troughs

Firstly, this is the CORRECT product for the tear thoughts- Belotero, Restylane, and Juvederm VOLBELLA are by far the stand out 3 products for this area IMO. Yes, the use of hyaluronidase is absolutely safe in this area. Depending on where the product was placed, injections can be directed accordingly. Additionally, if you have a lot of product, expect some swelling and bruising for a few days. All the best,Dr Davin LimLaser and aesthetics,Brisbane, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Hyaluronidase After Belotero® Injections

Good Afternoon and thank you for your question.  Using Hylaurondaise or Hylenex to dissolve Belotero® is an excellent option.  The great thing about this enzyme is that one is able to utilize the specific amount needed to dissolve the hyaluronic acid which provides precise results when done with experience. In some cases it may require more than one session depending how many syringes of Belotero® has been used at the injection site or the type of defect created.  It is a great alternative rather than waiting for the product to dissolve naturally, which can take up to 12 months for full dissolution. Best of luck to you.

Leonel Calderon, MD
Miami Physician

Hyaluronidase to reverse Belotero

Hyaluronidase can be safely injected into the tear trough to reverse any hyaluronic acid based filler including Belotero. I would have no hesistations injecting hyaluronidase to reverse HA filler in the tear trough. Good luck.

Hyaluronidase Dissolves Belotero

Thank you for your question about Belotero and Hyaluronidase.

In general, yes, it is safe to dissolve Belotero with hyaluronidase.  It is important that the injector is experienced and skilled.

To be sure what might be the best course of action in your particular situation, see two or more experienced, licensed and board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Safety of hyaluronidase

I'm sorry to hear you weren't happy with the result of your tear trough filler with Belotero. Hyaluronidase is safe for use around the eyes. Sometimes more than one treatment is necessary to completely dissolve the product. A small percentage of the population can have an allergic reaction to a particular formulation of hyaluronidase. I'd recommend discussing your concerns with your injector.  A second opinion from an oculoplastic surgeon would also be a good idea. Best of luck. 

Chaneve Jeanniton, MD
Brooklyn Oculoplastic Surgeon

Can Hyaluronidase dissolve Belotero in the tear troughs

Thank you for sharing your concerns about injection of Hyaluronidase into the tear troughs following Belotero injections. Yes, it should be safe to treat this area. Ask your doctor to perform the procedure to correct the problem.
Good luck,

Vitrase will dissolve Belotero

Belotero is a HA filler and can be dissolved safely with hyaluronidase (Vitrase).

Dr H Karamanoukian
#RealSelf100 Surgeon

Dissolving Belotero

Hyaluronidase can safely be injected into the tear troughs to dissolve Belotero.  You should follow up with the practitioner who performed your injections.  Maybe you need more Belotero to "hide" the bag.  Or maybe you do need to dissolve the Belotero with the hyaluronidase.  Or maybe a second opinion is warranted.  Good luck!

Janet M. Neigel, MD
Livingston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Hello, and thanks for your question. 

Yes, hyaluronidase can be used to dissolve Belotero in this location.

Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.  

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon