What's the main difference between Belotero and other fillers? I know it's thinner. (Photo)

I recently got under eye and lip fillers using belatero. My doctor informed me its newer, thinner and overall more natural looking. I'm 28 so I didn't want a dramatic look but I do see a significant different... I don't see a lot of people speaking of belatero on this forum. Wondering why?

Belotero versus other fillers

Belotero is a newer (but not new) filler and so it is not as well known as some of the other fillers on the market such as Juvederm and Restylane. However, it is a great filler. Safe and effective. It is particularly good for fine lines and intradermal injection. I prefer either Belotero or Restylane for tear trough injections. Juvederm tends to retain water causing a lot of swelling when injected around the eyes. I wouldn't be worried about your Belotero injections. Your eyes look great!

Belotero under the eyes

Thank you for sharing your question. There are many products which doctors inject into the tear troughs. I find that Restylane in the best for several reasons. It does not give a blue hue to the skin like Juvederm can cause. It gives a great fill for those patients who require a little or a lot of volume replacement. It also lasts much longer than Belotero. Restylane Silk is a thinner product which can be used as a second layer on top of Restylane. Make sure you have an experienced doctor familiar with all the products evaluate your problems and perform your treatments. 
Good luck,

Belotero

Good question! 

Think of it like a car with dents / imperfections. Fillers such as Radiesse and Juvederm can help fix some of the "dents" or more obvious imperfections. Belotero is like getting the car waxed and shined up. Almost like an airbrush treatment in photos - its meant to smooth out areas that just need a touch. Lines around the eyes are a perfect area for this product. 

Good luck! 

Adam Gutwein, DMD
Austin Dentist

Belotero

Hello, and thanks for your question. 

It's a bit newer than some others, so not as many people know about it. It's a great product!

Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.  

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Belotero

Belotero is one of my favorite fillers.  As you mentioned, it is thinner than some other fillers which makes it ideal for use under the delicate skin of eyelid.  However, regardless of how well formulated a product is, it is the skill and precision of the injector that matters most for a great result.  

Best, Dr Jeanniton

Chaneve Jeanniton, MD
Brooklyn Oculoplastic Surgeon

Belotero filler vs others

You answered the question, the filler is much thinner so it works great under the eyes and even for superficial lines around the lips. other fillers can have potential complications such as lumps and 'tindel' effect which is not seen with belotero

Dilip D. Madnani, MD, FACS

Belotero is a great lip filler

Belotero is a great filler. It is thinner product as your doctor told you and I find it to be a great filler for the lips and under eyes. Care should be taken in the under eyes to prevent swelling. 

Dr H Karamanoukian

Belotero and Other Fillers

belotero is the only filler that integrates evenly with the upper layers of the skin and that is why it can be used for fine lines.  I suggest seeing an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

What's so great about Belotero?

Belotero Balance is the newest filler to be made available in the United States. It is ideally suited to filling in superficial lines around the mouth and nasolabial folds, especially those fine little wrinkles such as the upper lip lines that have been so difficult to erase with the other fillers we have had until now. It is also perfect for the lips, and the depression we all develop in the area under the eye, as well as for lifting the upper eyelid a little at the brow. What is special about it is its ability to flow into and lift all the little crevices of the skin immediately after the injection. It does this without creating a Tyndall Effect, the bluish hue other hyaluronic acid fillers tended to create when injected high in the layers of the skin. It's ability to do this is based not upon its concentration, which is 22.5 mg per ML, very similar to that of other HA fillers, which range from 20 to 24 mg per ML for Restylane, Juvederm Ultra and Ultra Plus, and Perlane,  but rather the manner in which it is cross-linked during manufacturing. Because it undergoes several cross-linking stages, it has particles of many different sizes, which fill all the different spaces in the areas where it is injected. Technically speaking, it has a very low cohesivity,  which means it flows more like honey then like Jell-O.

I am glad you had a good result. I am also not sure why it has not been written about more on RealSelf, but perhaps that has something to do with the fact that it is newer, as well as that there are other fillers that can be used for the same areas that physicians already use.

Dr. Clark

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Beltotero Is An Excellent Filler For Under Eye Dark Circles, Tear Troughs, & Sacs & For Fine Lines

I have personally been using Belotero Balance and writing about its use for several years for treating under eye dark circles, tear troughs and sacs, as well as for fine "bar code" lines around the mouth, crow's feet and even for fine lines in the decolletage region,

The specific viscoelastic properties of this filler and the nature of its cohesivity make this filler an excellent choice for the above purposes. Unlike more conventional fillers, such as Juvederm, Belotero molds easily into place, does not overly attract water (hence less swelling) and possesses little to no tendency to give rise to the unwanted, bluish Tyndall Effect when injected superficially into the delicate tissues around the eyes and chest.

For all the above reasons it is my first choice for treating the above regions in my Upper East Side Manhattan practice. (In my Israel satellite facility, where a far greater number of regulatory agency approved fillers and volumizers are available, I typically opt for Teosyal Redensity II for these indiciations.

So glad you had a great result.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD