How To Avoid A "Deformed" Bellybutton After Lipo?

Bellybuttons sometimes seem to change as a result of liposuction and become very small, slits, etc - generally unnatural looking. I don't exactly plan to be open about having had PS and will most likely attribute my small bodily change to a change in fitness/workout regimen (I know, sorry) - and the bellybutton is sometimes a lipo giveaway. How can this be avoided, or is there no way to tell if it'll happen?

This should not be a problem with liposuction in this area in my experience.

Belly Button Change After Liposuction

I do not feel this would be an issue. The umbilicus changes more with a Full Tummy Tuck but not really with liposuction. Whoever you choose for your surgery should have before and after photos of your procedure for you to review! Best of Luck

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Belly button and lipo

While the appearance may slightly change due to removal of fat, I do not find that the umbilicus significantly changes shape after lipo.

For the Best Belly Button--Go With VASER HI DEF

The technique here will be important. You want to find someone who is an expert in the field and has a practice dedicated to body contouring/liposculpting. A formal assessment is needed to determine which techniques are best. Often I use VASER HI DEF with ThermiRF, ultrasound and fat grafting to get the most fat removal, skin tightening, and contouring. I suggest a consult with a hi-def physique liposuction expert.

Belly button?

I think the changes you're talking about occur more often when liposuction is done aggressively on the deep and superficial fat layers close to the belly button. Avoiding over-suctioning the area, especially the the superficial layer of fat which supports structurally the skin is the way to prevent what you're concerned about with the BB. I suggest you find an experienced plastic surgeon and remember that good communication is the way to achieve results. Best, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD