Will Having a Yeast Infection Cause my Surgery to Be Put on Hold?

I tend to get yeast infections...especially when under stress. Would this cause a delay in having my surgery? So far, I have not found anything that would get rid of this ongoing problem. I know enough to stay away from suger and starches, but it still doesn't seem to stop this when I am under any sort of stress.

Surgery during yeast infection

Having an infection can make you more vulnerable to wound infections; this is particularly significant if you are having surgery involving a wide excision or breast implants.  If you are on antibiotics, my policy is to delay the surgery until the infection has resolved.  You should address this with your plastic surgeon because it is important.

A vaginal yeast infection will probably not postpone surgery.

I personally would not cancel an operation for in uncomplicated vaginal yeast infection. Other surgeons may have a different opinion. In the end this is a decision made by your surgeon and no one else.

Will having a yeast infection infection postpone my surgery

Having a yeast infection should not necessarily be a reason to postpone your surgery as long as the infection does not involve your surgical site.

Janet Woodyard, MD

This may increase your risk of a wound infection. In elective surgery we like to manage risks to minimize the chances of complications. 

Call your surgeon to discuss the issue. he or she may need to see to to evaluate the situation. Best wishes.

Yeast infection

It could potentially delay your surgery. It is up to your plastic surgeon. I would call and discuss this immediately with him or her

Yeast infection during yeast infection

I agree that all doctors will have a different opinion. Usually having infection can cause complications during surgery. If you do not feel comfortable and want to play it safe, then postpone the surgery. It also depends on what surgery. If its anywhere near the infection it would be best to avoid during infection. Check with your surgeon and see what he/she thinks. Best of luck!

Dhaval M. Patel
double board certified
Plastic surgeon
Hoffman Estates
Barrington
Oakbrook
Chicago

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon