Is the Y Lift Worth It?

According to the Y Lift web site, Dr. Yan Trokel developed a non-surgical minimally invasive procedure that requires no incisions, stitches, or general anesthesia. Dr. Trokel uses "a specialized titanium instrument which is inserted beneath the skin and then maneuvered throughout designated parts of the facial region to instantly lift the muscles, fascia and fat underlying the skin. Once lifted, hyaluronic acid, a substance which is naturally present in the skin is used to hold the newly elevated position in place at which point the titanium tube is removed from the treatment site. The rejuvenated face is then "sculpted" to accent and highlight each individual's beauty."
Is the Y Lift worth it?

Look for pictures one year out to decide on Y Lift value and durability

It seems that some physicians in a difficult economy are trying to brand what they are doing.

Whatever the brand, the way to tell if there is value is to look for photos before and after at least six months and even better one year out. In addition the photos should be the same views (front,side, and 3/4) with the hair back and the same lighting without makeup.

No matter what injury there is to the face, even a sunburn, will make faces look better for short periods of time. It has been said that you could beat most faces with a fly-swatter and they would look better due to the swelling for days.

We do the liquid lift with the understanding that they are a short-term fix and do not give the value of a surgical intervention. However, there is no down time and can buy time for a patient who has neither the time or resources to go through a more effective and durable technique.

You may draw your own conclusions after review of many branded web-sites.

Dr. Mayl

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Be careful in assessing proprietary procedures like the Y Lift

Take a close look at the website of Dr. Trokel. Many of the patients who show any type of result also had additional procedures beyond the "Ylift". A number of them have had Refirme, a radio frequency treament.

It is also troubling by so many of the after pictures are only shown 2 days after the procedure. This is not adequate to assess the actual effectiveness of a procedure. Frankly it sounds too good to be true. Can't recommend this service.

Y-Lift, temporary results

The ‘Y’ lift sounds like a proprietary invention by one surgeon that is not well accepted by anyone else in the medical community. It does not sound like it is actually surgically lifting tissues, just placement of hyaluronic acid, which is temporary. You should critically look at the before and after photos to see if there is truly any changes and ask how long the results have lasted.

Y lift or just fillers

If you check the photos on the doctor's web site regarding the Y lift, I will say that the same results could be obtained with the fillers alone.  This just looks like a gimick. 

As someone with experience in facelifts and Y Lift-trained, getting volume enhancement and lift in one procedure is valuable

Thank you for your question. I understand that you’d like to know if the Y Lift™ is worth it, and I think I’ll be able to help you with this question as I was the first surgeon to be trained by the inventor of the Y Lift™, and have successfully integrated the Y Lift™ into my cosmetic facial rejuvenation practice. I'm also a Board-certified cosmetic surgeon and a Fellowship-trained oculoplastic surgeon, practicing in Manhattan and Long Island for over 20 years.

The Y Lift™ is a procedure that addresses volume loss and sagging, which are the primary signs of aging. As we age, we lose bone, muscle, fat, and soft tissue, and the support of the skin—the superficial muscular aponeurotic system or the SMAS—weakens and sags as well. In a younger person, there is more definition and angularity present on the face, which is what traditional surgical facelifts try to achieve with vertical lifting.

With the Y Lift™, however, definition is achieved by injecting a long-lasting hyaluronic acid filler, such as Juvederm or Voluma, into the deeper levels of the face. The traditional use of fillers administered by dermatologists and non-surgeons are usually limited to the superficial layers of the skin, whereas with the Y Lift™, the filler is placed almost at the level of the bone and below the muscle.

The Y Lift™ method is such an elegant method that using a larger amount of filler can produce significant lifting and definition to the cheeks, the vertical aspect of the jaw, the jawline, the chin, and even the temples, and can make a person look younger and, in some cases, thinner. The results are so impressive that many patients and even some of my colleagues think that these are actual surgical facelifts being represented as something with filler—which I can personally tell you is not true, as I do perform this procedure routinely.

Many people are taken aback by the amount of filler placed in the face, but when you consider where and how it is being placed, you will realize that it is actually not so extreme. The traditional way of placing fillers puts about 2-4 syringes in the superficial layers of the skin, which tends to sag, especially if the skin is already sagging to begin with. With the Y Lift™, fillers are placed near the bone structure, which provides a stronger support frame for the filler. An additional point that makes this procedure so effective is that it is performed by physicians with surgical backgrounds and training, and thus are executed by professionals who consistently work with and understand that space very well. Personally, it was a very natural transition for me to learn this technique of using filler in an artistic way to restore structure.

That said, I do think that this procedure is very much worth it. The Y Lift™ fills a void that many people fall into—people who don’t have enough skin or skin elasticity to warrant a surgical lifting procedure, but wants to develop more angularity, volume and definition. The Y Lift™ is wonderful for women in their 40s-60s, depending on their facial structure. The fact that the results can also last over two years makes it a very good investment, though like with any other procedure, there are some exceptions to this.

I think what’s important for you, at this point, is to see if this procedure is right for you. Meet with a qualified Y Lift™ provider, and it’s important that you do your research on this, as there are only a handful of Y Lift™ providers in the country who have been trained by the inventor himself. This method is very specific and requires very specific training and experience to perform properly. In addition to this, keep in mind that you don’t necessarily have to have the whole procedure done. If there are only particular areas that need enhancement, the procedure can be done on those areas alone. The Y Lift™ method is not a cookie-cutter procedure—it is all about customization and artistry.

So I hope that was helpful and I wish you the best of luck!

This personalized video answer to your question is posted on RealSelf and on YouTube. To provide you with a personal and expert response, we use the image(s) you submitted on RealSelf in the video, but with respect to your privacy, we only show the body feature in question so you are not personally identifiable. If you prefer not to have your video question visible on YouTube, please contact us.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Y-Lift ..the newest buzz word in a long line of minimally invasive procedures

Everybody wants a Cadillac at a Buick price.  It's humanity.  Furthermore, the old adage that your mom told you, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is," is one of the first things that comes to mind.

Every few months, somebody comes up with a patented word.  The y-lift is exactly this.  Surgeons have been volumizing the face giving a liquid lift with Restylane, Juvederm, etc for YEARS.  This is nothing new.  The key is that these results are TEMPORARY.  No amount of marketing and glitzy TV shows will change that.

Raghu Athre, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Explore your mini facelift options

The Y Lift is not your only option and I can't imagine it will be much different than other filler injections with HA. He is describing I suspect the use of a cannula (blunt tip) rather than a needle so there would be less bruising but that is about the only difference.

There is nothing wrong with a branded mini facelift procedure per se—they often produce excellent and lasting results—but patients should be aware that there are many options out there. The Y Lift appears not to be a surgical procedure so it will not have the effectiveness of one. If a procedure is based on a single doctor's experience, the medical community cannot vouch for it—so buyer beware.

Take a look at procedures that have been adopted by many doctors, such as the Lite Lift, Quick Lift, or LifeStyle Lift. In addition, shop around and check your doctor's credentials. Many mini-facelift procedures today are done by doctors from areas outside of plastic surgery; you will likely have a better result if you choose a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery or Facial Plastic board certification.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Y Lift

Be careful! Be very careful! Rather than shopping for a so-called minimally invasive technique online, it is best to consult with one or more well-trained, highly skilled, experienced facial plastic or general plastic surgeons who will give you the best answers to your questions as to what techniques will best benefit you.

Sigmund L. Sattenspiel, MD
Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

There are other better options.

Hi,

I agree with the other physicians. If something is too good to be true, then it usually is. There have been many attempts at scarless procedures, but most of the time there are complications and the results are not so promising. If you are searching for a minimally invasive procedure, why not just go with the fillers. They have been tested, FDA approved, and provide satisfactory results.

Best regards,

Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Y Lift

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is .With a "mini" procedure the results will not be as dramatic and the duration of improvement will be less. That is not bad as long as it is consistent with your goals and will meet your expectations.