Is a recovery house really necessary?

I want to go to the Dominican Republic to get liposculture, bbl & a breast lift, is a recovery house necessary or can I just stay in a hotel? Thanx

Is a recovery house really necessary?

The advantage of a recovery house is having a nurse there for the first 
couple of hours after surgery aside is completely up to you 
and if you will be traveling with someone or alone but for patients coming in alone
yes i say it will be an excellent idea. Best of luck!

Recovery house necessary

Thank you for your question. We recommend recovery house when the patient doesn't have any relatives in our country. Having a good recovery is really important to have great results. 

I hope my answer will help you to your question.

Before undergoing any surgical procedure, please seek a board certified plastic surgeon

Jairo Ulerio, MD

Recovery House for Vaser Hi Def, Breast Lift, Liposculpture

When undergoing major surgical procedures, it is essential that you have access to skilled healthcare professionals for the first few hours or even days to ensure that no complications develop. A nurse at the Recovery House will help you take care of your medical needs, whereas there would be no one to perform such tasks at a hotel. However, I would not suggest traveling out of the country simply to save money on plastic surgery. Best, Dr. Emer

RH or Hotel?

Thank you for your question. Recovery House is recommended to patients who live abroad and travels alone for getting their surgery. If you decide to travel alone RH is your best option, not a hotel. A RH includes services such as transportation to follow up appointments and helps you to get a better evolution after your surgery because they are trained for this. Personally I dont allow to have any medication to my patient without my approval or cleaning the wounds outside the clinic, so in case you are coming with a companion if he follow the doctors instructions a hotel will also be a good and confortable option for both of you. Best of Luck

Rafael Lluberes Freites, MD

Liposuction/ Liposculpture/ Vaser/ Hi Definition Procedures

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing following surgery. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Postop care after liposculpture is important

Hi -- thanks for your question.

I noticed that you didn’t mention how much liposculpture you intend to have done together with the Brazilian Butt Lift and breast lift. It’s worth mentioning that with respect to liposculpture, having more than one area treated, or having a very large area treated, may increase the risk of complications during or after the procedure.

Regardless of where you will have these procedures done, a recovery house would be wise to consider due to the potential risks you may face. Similar to big ticket item purchases for your home/office, buying these in retail outlets close to home make any after purchase consultations/repairs easier and more convenient. I would imagine you’ve done a comparative study of rates at a US-based facility vs those in the Dominican Republic. It’s worth remembering that price is not the only consideration for such important health care decisions. Not to say that surgeons in other countries are not competent, but that it’s more prudent to have ready access to a support team/facility that can help you with any postop issues and concerns.

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is a recovery house really necessary?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Problems with medical tourism

Having surgery abroad is a set-up for problems of this nature. You need to see a plastic surgeon, but did not trust the surgeons that work diligently in your area to provide care to their patients. The surgeon that you did choose has no ability and probably no interest in taking care of their postoperative patients because they know you are not going to fly back to where they are to seek out care. So now what? Bring the problems of another surgeon to the local doctor who you did not allow to treat you and expect that they will take care of the postoperative complications? Or go back where you had your surgery and require that the surgeon that did the surgery take responsibility for their work?

Dr derby

A recovery house is so much more comfortable. Remember that after a lipo you are going to be very sore and you will be more restricted because the breast lift. It is helpful to have someone help you with putting your clothes on and even wash or clean tissues. besides that you do not need to worry about your meals nor do you need to go to a super market in the last days before/first days after.  Just make sure you find one with limited spaces (no high volume!) and nurses 24 hours on staff. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD